I Loved Blue Devils

I sat on the 50 yard line inside the lower press box tonight in San Antonio.

The Blue Devils are simply the most phenomenal performers I've ever seen in 33 years of drum corps. There isn't a moment that wasn't captivating, engaging, or that failed to just blow me out of the water. I alternately whistled, laughed, or just held my breath waiting for the next insane moment. It's the first time I've seen a show ever that captivated me completely from the corps entering the field to the very end.

There has never been anything like them, and this show left me breathless.

Just WOW. Can't wait to see it again... Thanks Blue Devils... that was outstanding.

I also understand why people might not like it... but I just witnessed a new standard in performance and coordinated design. Outstanding!

Chuck Naffier

Hear, Hear Chuck!!!

They have indeed achieved a new standard in performance and design! Bravo Blue Devils!!

• Like 4

Hear, Hear Chuck!!!

They have indeed achieved a new standard in performance and design! Bravo Blue Devils!!

I too agree.

• Like 2

I sat on the 50 yard line inside the lower press box tonight in San Antonio.

The Blue Devils are simply the most phenomenal performers I've ever seen in 33 years of drum corps. There isn't a moment that wasn't captivating, engaging, or that failed to just blow me out of the water. I alternately whistled, laughed, or just held my breath waiting for the next insane moment. It's the first time I've seen a show ever that captivated me completely from the corps entering the field to the very end.

There has never been anything like them, and this show left me breathless.

Just WOW. Can't wait to see it again... Thanks Blue Devils... that was outstanding.

I also understand why people might not like it... but I just witnessed a new standard in performance and coordinated design. Outstanding!

Chuck Naffier

I've made it a point not to post on here this year. But when a gentleman who has contributed so much to DCI like you chimes in with amazing words like this, I make an exception.

While it defies many things I've loved about DCI for 20 years of being a fan, what BD is doing this year is...well you said it all.

A big thanks to you, Mr. Naffier.

• Like 8

I too agree.

Meh..

BD show seems too disjointed to me. 'Seems too segmented into different sections.. and slapped together ( albeit with intelligent forthought) Its just not a flowing show to me at all... It ends abruptly too. BD sure can play, spin, and move. Unbeliveably. But the whole does not equal the sum of its parts, imo. Oh well, as they say " different strokes for different folks". No right or wrong answers here, and I respect the opinions of those that believe this show for them is the cat's meow. Thats cool too.

• Like 9

Hi Chuck

That is a great vantage point. They have such a history. I remember when they won their first DCI Championship in 1976 at Franklin Field in Philadelphia. Our instructor was also the snare tech for BD that year. After they won, we walked up to the top of the stadium on the 50 yard line and watched their encore performance. I still remember it to this day. This year, Cabaret Volatire. Wow, so much going on. The opening melody and then... those chord progressions in the brass backfield...Kudos to the design staff and the performers.

Charles Houser

Knight Raiders 76-77 Tenor Drums

Santa Clara Vanguard 78-79 Tenor Drums

San Jose Raiders 81 Percussion Staff

• Like 4

I felt the same way the first time I saw it live.

• Like 1

Hi Chuck

That is a great vantage point. They have such a history. I remember when they won their first DCI Championship in 1976 at Franklin Field in Philadelphia. Our instructor was also the snare tech for BD that year. After they won, we walked up to the top of the stadium on the 50 yard line and watched their encore performance. I still remember it to this day. This year, Cabaret Volatire. Wow, so much going on. The opening melody and then... those chord progressions in the brass backfield...Kudos to the design staff and the performers.

Charles Houser

Knight Raiders 76-77 Tenor Drums

Santa Clara Vanguard 78-79 Tenor Drums

San Jose Raiders 81 Percussion Staff

Steve Chorazy. Good friend of mine. I loved the Knight Raiders! Too bad they folded. :(