The History of DADA

Are you a DADAIST?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Please read the entire post and answer the question .. are you a Dadaist?

2. 2. Do you think BD is protesting something with this years show?

3. 3. Is BD just doing a show based on DADA and not trying to send a message?

Wasn't there also a great deal of alienation caused by a self-perceived sense of intellectual superiority? Weren't the Dadaists satisfied believing they were smarter than everyone else and thus, becoming too mainstream was threatening this perceived "superiority?" Admired the mastery, loved the Satie, am not afraid of the discussion, am not a raving fan.

I'm not sure ... do you have a link to that writeup somewhere?

... Dada was, officially, not a movement, its artists not artists and its art not art. That sounds easy enough, doesn't it? Of course, there is a bit more to the story of Dadaism than this simplistic explanation.

Dada was a literary and artistic movement born in Europe...

Sorry, but you lost my interest at the very start of your posting because if you are going to contradict yourself as early as the fourth sentence I am just not that interested in reading more!

• Like 3

Sorry, but you lost my interest at the very start of your posting because if you are going to contradict yourself as early as the fourth sentence I am just not that interested in reading more!

Read the bolded quote wrong. My bad, Stu. Still don't think it's contradictory though.

Edited by Kamarag

Cheapshot ... c'mon DCP'erz ... are there only about 10 of us on here that actually discuss hard topics in depth anymore?

I don't think skywhopper's post is a cheap shot.* It's a point that's been made here before, though (whether by him I don't recall): since Dada aims to provoke outrage from its audience, and the judges are part of the audience, BD arguably fails if the judges aren't outraged. But then, we don't know if the judges are outraged or not.

In ArrangerX's recent thread praising "Cabaret Voltaire", NakedEye posting in reply with further admiration for BD's destruction of the usual "tiresome" drum corps format, and suggested that, like Star before them, BD may move on to bigger and better things. If NakedEye is correct, then BD's show is Dada in that it is a protest againt drum corps-"ism" -- though I cannot think it is sensible to be as outraged by the "bored" state of drum corps as by a World War! And since Dada was unprogrammatic, if BD has such a plan (to move to Broadway, say, or Vegas: people are comparing the show to Cirque), then BD's show is not Dada.

*And skywhopper is someone who regularly posts thoughtful, lengthy comments along the lines that you desire.

That summary of Dada is very helpful, by the way -- thanks for quoting it!

(And Stu: it wasn't officially a movement, but the term "movement" is nonetheless a convenient way to describe it.)

• Like 1

This isn't flamebait or trolling. I'm actually hoping people will read this and then really think about what the BD show is .... whether they be a rabid fan or a staunch protester of their show.

Oh I know you want to discuss it and I do too. which is why I said or then again go ahead. As far as them not getting a big crowd response lately...ummm think about where they are playing now. Maybe if they did a jesus fish with feet on it? thumbup.gif

• Like 1

I suddenly have a craving for waffles. :tongue:

• Like 2