Cavaliers and Madison Scouts

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Did that mean they were able to march a full corps + her, and that she wasn't judged?

Being a guest performer doesn't mean that she doesn't count against membership, of course. But she knew going in that she wasn't held to the same practice schedule or expectations of the corps proper. She also knew she was barred from effectively re-auditioning for the corps...that this was a one-year deal. She was held to a completely different standard than everyone else, and rightfully so. A one-year deal better falls under the definition of a "guest perfomer" rather than full-fledged "member".

• Like 1

Ummm...the whole Cavaliers being a fraternal organization thing that I mentioned?

I was hoping you'd provide an argument, not just a definition. Is there a good argument for Cavaliers to continue as a "fraternal organization thing"?

vferrera followed up with the type of thing I was looking for.

What about if the Cadets and Blue Devils were also male-only?

Cadets were until 69.

I was hoping you'd provide an argument, not just a definition. Is there a good argument for Cavaliers to continue as a "fraternal organization thing"?

Because, as everybody knows, girls have cooties. Duh.

• Like 4

This comes up every year. Legally, any corps can set up purely arbitrary membership requirements. They could require that all members have six fingers on their left hand if they wanted to.

Don't give Hop ideas!!

Totally agree!! Please close it now!!

Please don't. There's no reason why people can't have an intelligent and spirited discussion about this and organizations (Boy Scouts, Augusta, LPGA, etc) that choose to limit membership. I think it's great to hear about others' opinions. And see how nicely everyone has been playing for the last six pages...

My thoughts as a female: If it's a private organization - totally ok with it. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Seems like nowadays nobody wants to live with the fact that they could be excluded from anything. Reminds me of the scene from Life of Brian where they were arguing about a man's right to have a baby...despite lacking the necessary "equipment".

Link:

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Seems like nowadays nobody wants to live with the fact that they could be excluded from anything. Reminds me of the scene from Life of Brian where they were arguing about a man's right to have a baby...despite lacking the necessary "equipment".

Well, we're constantly told all our lives that we can be whatever we dream of. Live without limits etc, etc. I agree with the general principal that access should be based on merit, not chromosomes. But you have to balance that against the rights of others to associate with whomever they want (or don't want).

Link:

Don't oppress me!

Don't oppress me!

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

• Like 3