New Ending for PR

To many in my opinion think WGI success means success in DCI. I know many kindly refuted my concerns but I believe percussion judging and placements are decided by tenths. When you're over a point away from your competition in this caption there is no catching up. At least I don't recall that ever happening in DCI percussion.

To add to your WGI comment....many indoor groups are successful more for the GE factor in the show rather than due to the quality of play or difficulty of the music itself. Whereas n DCI GE is a global corps concern and the drum line is just one facet of that equation. So because one arranger may do well in WGI doesn't necessarily equal success in DCI and vice versa.

But your point about the percussion scores is dead on. If regiments line was scoring within .4 of the other guys it would be a 3-corps race. And I think PR has a shot at the title, but not if they can't close the percussion gap and at least place 4th on finals night.

If regiments line was scoring within .4 of the other guys it would be a 3-corps race. And I think PR has a shot at the title, but not if they can't close the percussion gap and at least place 4th on finals night.

Agreed 1000%!

RM

Yea I think it's sad their drumline isn't way up there. I really love this show. With a top 3 or 4 drumline this show would win it all.

There's a certain amount wrong with this. Not wrong in the sense that it's untrue about Rennick -- wrong in that you think it doesn't apply to almost all of the big names out there, including Gwaltney. First, the part about dynamic contrast. Go to Youtube and find videos of MCM's snareline from the last two years in particular (though most years and most sections of the batterie would also work, these past two years just stick out in my mind). Simply put, Gwaltney's music has an extremely defined and precise system of dynamics. It obviously has a different feel from Rennick, but rest assured that his lines set just as much of a premium on absolute dynamic precision and uniformity. Also, unlike Rennick's writing at SCV and PR, where velocity of music contributed largely to the effect, Gwaltney's writing tends to take a little more examination to really appreciate. There's an abundance of "micro-phrasing", if you will, and subtle use of texture both between different sections and within a single section. It doesn't hit you in the face first rep like Rennick's tends to, but if you really listen analytically and with a good knowledge of rudimental vocabulary, you can really appreciate how nuanced and well thought-out it is. Granted, his book at PR has seemed a few notches tamer than what he puts out at MCM, and I'm not sure why that is -- I think writing to his usual standard of difficulty would help overall musical effect for sure. Not that I don't like Rennick's writing, because I like it quite a lot.

I assume you didn't mean to make it this way, but honestly, this is pretty insulting to anyone who's marched in any other serious lines out there. The Scott Johnson quote (if we're going to extrapolate tons of drumming philosophy out of it, which may or may not be smart) simply demonstrates the philosophy specific to BD, a program well known for always having book that pushes the upper boundaries of how ridiculously difficult your book can be. For them, it doesn't surprise me that they might deal with a lot of early season dirt compared to other lines. Their book is routinely one of the hardest (if not the hardest) books out there, whereas Rennick's book, when compared to other championship-caliber book, tends to err on the side of being slightly easier (relatively speaking, of course).

Aside from BD, however, it takes a bit of UNT tunnel-vision to believe that other drum staffs in that tier are okay with dirt at any time, in any sense of the word. Speaking from my own experience, for example, I've marched under several different percussion heads (including the one in question, at one point a few years ago), and they all exhibited a similar passion and standard of excellence. None of them thought that dirt was acceptable at any time, for any reason. Rest assured that the guys currently in charge at PR have that same passion and drive for which dirt is never okay, be it May or August.

(Just to be clear, though, I do like Rennick's approach a lot -- it's just not the only way to do percussion properly.)

There's no way you're wrong either. ;) Well put.

They have the show to do it. That guard has the best look in DCI I think. Those red flags just pop out more than any other ones do. Such a contrast to their white uni's.

Plus it tells a wonderful story! I totally agreed with the 08 finish even though I didn't get to see it live that show was amazing!

• Like 1

Regiment's new ending was on the forbidden site (and still is as of Friday 11:31pm) and I have to say that I wanted a bit more but the new ending overall is far better than the ending they are currently performing.

No wedges, leg kicks or "regiment halts". They do form a chevron though right before the tempo push which should create a nice crowd reaction!

Just saw it! Wow much improved in my opinion

"I AM CALIF!!!!" *beheading* even though it makes no sense story-wise

LOL

Saw the new ending. So, it's the standard double company front in Nessun Dorma, followed by a solid chevron form which is held while the corps parks a beat or two, and then a step forward, still in the chevron form with a kick-halt. I liked all of that just fine, but then they changed the writing in Nessun Dorma, and I'm not sure I care for this. It will certainly have to grow on me, I guess. I really liked the way it was before, but oh well. They end up with the corps spread from 40 to 40? (It was hard to tell from the video I saw) and they form a "heart" in the middle of the form (outline). Anyway, it's out there still, just have to know how to find it.

Edited by Cardman

I would love Phantom to make that push with their new ending, but unlike 2008 their drumline is much weaker and will most likely make then fall a bit short of BD and Crown come Finals night.

• Like 1

Yeah, after the scores from last night Phantom just seems to be way of the pace in the percussion department and it will cost them any chance at the title.

This year's show with Rennick still at the helm of the drumline would be sick. But such is life.