Your opinions on downtime

35 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the amount of time between corps performances at a typical show (5-6 minutes)?

• I wish the performances were closer together
    • I think the time between performances is just about right
    • I wish there were longer breaks between the performances
  2. 2. What would you like to happen between corps performances?

• Quiet time
    • Bathroom breaks
    • Instant encores
    • Audience-interactive activities (cheer contests, the wave, text-voting)
    • Advertising spots
    • Jumbotron videos
    • Video/audio updates from other shows
    • Video/audio highlights from past years
    • Video/audio from the lot
    • Something else (specify in the thread)
  3. 3. Do you think five minutes of dead time between shows is a problem for retaining and growing the audience?

• Yes, people expect constant entertainment
    • No, downtime is a good thing
    • Don't know/not sure

A couple of threads recently have asked what DCI could do to liven up the "dead time" between corps performances. I was surprised by the question because I find the downtime to be useful. I enjoy chatting with my companions or neighbors about the show we just saw, having a chance to tweet or post here about it, and just a chance to digest and think about the show without being immediately distracted by something else.

For example, I found the ToC show I attended last year with its instant encores and live interviews to be overwhelming. By the end of the long long show, I was totally drained, even though there were only eight corps. With a five minute break of silence between each corps, an eight corps show usually just makes me want to see more. I think there's restorative value in a little quiet time to reset the senses and give the brain a chance to get ready for the next visual and aural blast.

So what I wonder is, is the downtime between shows something people personally are bothered by, and/or do you think it's a negative in trying to grow and retain drum corps's audience?

Edited by skywhopper

I don’t like the ads or video between downtown – often they are loud and obtrusive and step on my dead time enjoyment

I think most the people that need constant media bombardment can take care of that on their cell phones

• Like 1

I think it would be great to see a quick 20-30 sec video of the corps warm up in the lot before they take the field. It could even be from a previous show. I think that would give a quick peak at who was about to take the field. Then maybe have a little 15-20 sec intro from the DM. "We are _____, from the city of ______. We are a _____class corps, marching _____ members. Our show is tiltled _____. It is about ______. We hope you enjoy the performance.

That would only take 40-45 sec. You would have to set a limit on both parts to make it far. Maybe not all the stadiums have this ability, but for sure they could do it at the regional shows and finals week.

I don't know but for me and other parents, and kids I think this would be a great way to introduce and explain the show and Corps you are about to see. Not all show goers have the background of knowing all this information. I think it might help grow the fan base a bit. What do you think?

Edited by DCI_DAD
  • Like 7

I think it would be great to see a quick 20-30 sec video of the corps warm up in the lot before they take the field. It could even be from a previous show. I think that would give a quick peak at who was about to take the field. Then maybe have a little 15-20 sec intro from the DM. "We are _____, from the city of ______. We are a _____class corps, marching _____ members. Our show is tiltled _____. It is about ______. We hope you enjoy the performance.

That would only take 40-45 sec. You would have to set a limit on both parts to make it far. Maybe not all the stadiums have this ability, but for sure they could do it at the regional shows and finals week.

I don't know but for me and other parents, and kids I think this would be a great way to intoduce and explain the show and Corps you are about to see. Not all show goers have the background of knowing all this information. I think it might help grow the fan base a bit. What do you think?

I remember the corps announcement years ago on the PBS broadcast. It is such a simple thing to do...They could even have a microphone setup down on the field and the timing/chief judge could hand to the drum major who could turn around and talk to the crowd just before their performance.

As far as the warm-up video I think that would be a little more involved due to the specific venue...I'd suggest doing a "warm-up audio" at a specific warm-up area and piping that into the stadiums PA system. There could be a interviewer as well talking to staff. The person doing this role should be a professional interviewer that will actually ask interesting questions of the corps staff. Unfortunately, I seem to remember though people criticizing interviews last year or the year before at the theater and you don't see designers talking about their shows much anymore on the fly.

Edited by Liahona

I find down time valuable. Most often I find myself using the time between corps to discuss what has been seen, to answer questions from new spectators, and to meet other long-time fans/alums and share stories.

I also would find a more defined time of "start of show" valuable. Even though it has been discussed in other threads, I'll add the idea here: the "pre-show" makes it hard for audience members and stadium staff to know when the audience is supposed to be seated and ready to go. If the "pre-show" is something that I'm supposed to pay attention to, put it IN THE SHOW. Judging could start after the first 1-2 minutes, but let's define this "pre-show" time more concretely so we don't have to worry about how much time we have between shows. This would eliminate the current problem of people coming in or milling about during a "performance" even though the performance hasn't officially started yet.

I would still like to see some lot videos, season highlights, etc. And the idea of an official "Corps intro" video could easily become the signal that it's time to sit and watch quietly. (There could be an audio version of it for non-video equipped stadiums.)

not every stadium has jumbo trons, so really....it would only be at big shows.

honestly, cut down the set up time or use a half field method similar to WGI using the half court rule, and shows will flow better.

Took my kids (8/10) to their first show last Friday. ToC in Houston. In the bits without anything going on, they were frankly bored. The interviews they were doing didn't grab them at all. What did make them sit up and pay attention were the I&E performances and the "interactive" elements, such as the drum major salute competition and Sousa clap-along.

What I take from this is that either additing additional performance to break periods or doing something *with* the audience, not *at* them, is the way to go.

Mike