DCI DALLAS

Boston cut a 1.5 point Madison Scouts lead on Sat. to less than 3 tenths tonite. I wonder if Boston can pass them as they did last year. Boston, Cavs, Madison all neck and neck right now.

Anything can happen, but Saturday Scouts were within 1.5 or so of Bluecoats and and 1.5 ahead of Boston. Performance order tonight may or may not have played into that. I guess we'll see Saturday in Hotlanta.

I don't think this will happen. Not this year!

Their Achilles heel seems to be their guard this year though...Just sayin'

Few thoughts on the shows:

-It seemed EVERYONE was tired from this heat. It's been unbearable these past few days, and thought I'm sure the staff has done their best to help the kids in the heat, it's very taxing. Quite a few mistakes tonight that seemed to be more "too physically tired" rather than "I just wasn't thinking."

-The audience was hugely High School-centric. This may explain the rude/entitled tweets of twerps there. Not an excuse, but they're kids who thought anything done on the field was groundbreaking.

- I don't know much of guard so it's mostly hornline and drumline comments for me.

CORPS:

1) Forte - Guard seemed to struggle a lot in the show. I can see they're still getting their feet about them, but the moments of clarity really highlight the moments that lack it. This corps has an interesting show and I wish them the best.

2) Seattle Cascades - Many timing issues between the drumline and hornline due to exposed sections of music. One time where the bass drums were actually splitting time with the tenors. It was an uncomfortable feel for even the untrained ear. STRONG finish to the show that was very unexpected. Drumline came together like nobody's business to jam out and the hornline powered through. Get that to the FRONT HALF now.

3) Crossmen - Oh boy did this wake the crowd up in a big way. Huge sound from these guys and many visual problems were fixed. I still say they will be nipping at BK's heels soon enough with this monster of a show. The biggest issue now is individual technique from player to player.

4) Glassmen - Kind of a strange turn from Bones. The drumline mirrors and guard flags with the faces on them didn't sit too well with the crowd tonight. No issues other than some balance here and there. Major goo from the front ensemble, to the point where every tuba on that field should feel offended (and some baritones too).

5) Academy - missed them. Sorry

6) Madison - Easily crowd favorite (duh). Very strong performance from the men of Madison tonight, with the exception of some feet in the sound. You know you're loud when your reverb has reverb. The ending seemed fixed, but could use a tad more to let the audience know they SHOULD keep clapping, not asking themselves if they should wait until the end. Two standing ovations should tell you all you need to know.

7) BK - Missed. Again. Sounded decent from the tunnel when I came back up.

8) Boston - I love this corps more and more. Classy arrangements, HUGE demand and exposure of their sections. Sounded very balanced and clean for July. Pending music scores and how much they can clean this monster of a show, I could see Boston and Madison flipping soon.

9) Bloo - having seen them the most, this was not their night despite the numbers. A few blown releases, not fully making sets, etc. Not a terrible run, but not their best. Visual continues to be a problem (making sets, upper body control) but if they can fix this, they will pass SCV very soon. That brass book is hot, with some fat percussion beats to go with it. Colorguard could use a bit more selling with their dancing.

10) SCV - great control and balance as always. This new brass staff has done wonderful things to them and the percussion is in a league of their own. I see now why everyone says their drill is so intricate: They have a way of staying 3-4 steps for a lot of the show, appearing to have a large presence on the field. They manipulate those spaces and contract/expand those for maximum effect. Very cool stuff. That ending ( A segmented company front with 10 seconds of music of the night, followed by about 30 of fast paced not-music-of-the-night) was kind of a letdown. We shall see how it pans out in August. Foot timing kind of sketchy here.

11) Cadets - I don't know where to begin here. I know as the skill level of the corps goes up, I get more nitpicky but this was by far NOT the best showing I have seen of Cadets. There was a brief mellophone tumble, a trumpet player who was obviously newly in the show (missed visuals, looked very lost) and there was HORRIBLE foot phasing. I know the white hides way more than it should, but when members next to each other are an eighth note off from each other there is a big issue. Sounded like typical Cadets, with a full sound (synth poked out a bit here) but overall a good showing from the kids.

HOPEFULLY THE CORPS CAN GET SOME REST FROM THIS HEAT (but probably not, going to crappy Atlanta humidity/heat/misery) because boy howdy all these kids looked drained.

Few thoughts on the shows:

-It seemed EVERYONE was tired from this heat. It's been unbearable these past few days, and thought I'm sure the staff has done their best to help the kids in the heat, it's very taxing. Quite a few mistakes tonight that seemed to be more "too physically tired" rather than "I just wasn't thinking."

-The audience was hugely High School-centric. This may explain the rude/entitled tweets of twerps there. Not an excuse, but they're kids who thought anything done on the field was groundbreaking.

- I don't know much of guard so it's mostly hornline and drumline comments for me.

CORPS:

1) Forte - Guard seemed to struggle a lot in the show. I can see they're still getting their feet about them, but the moments of clarity really highlight the moments that lack it. This corps has an interesting show and I wish them the best.

2) Seattle Cascades - Many timing issues between the drumline and hornline due to exposed sections of music. One time where the bass drums were actually splitting time with the tenors. It was an uncomfortable feel for even the untrained ear. STRONG finish to the show that was very unexpected. Drumline came together like nobody's business to jam out and the hornline powered through. Get that to the FRONT HALF now.

3) Crossmen - Oh boy did this wake the crowd up in a big way. Huge sound from these guys and many visual problems were fixed. I still say they will be nipping at BK's heels soon enough with this monster of a show. The biggest issue now is individual technique from player to player.

4) Glassmen - Kind of a strange turn from Bones. The drumline mirrors and guard flags with the faces on them didn't sit too well with the crowd tonight. No issues other than some balance here and there. Major goo from the front ensemble, to the point where every tuba on that field should feel offended (and some baritones too).

5) Academy - missed them. Sorry

6) Madison - Easily crowd favorite (duh). Very strong performance from the men of Madison tonight, with the exception of some feet in the sound. You know you're loud when your reverb has reverb. The ending seemed fixed, but could use a tad more to let the audience know they SHOULD keep clapping, not asking themselves if they should wait until the end. Two standing ovations should tell you all you need to know.

7) BK - Missed. Again. Sounded decent from the tunnel when I came back up.

8) Boston - I love this corps more and more. Classy arrangements, HUGE demand and exposure of their sections. Sounded very balanced and clean for July. Pending music scores and how much they can clean this monster of a show, I could see Boston and Madison flipping soon.

9) Bloo - having seen them the most, this was not their night despite the numbers. A few blown releases, not fully making sets, etc. Not a terrible run, but not their best. Visual continues to be a problem (making sets, upper body control) but if they can fix this, they will pass SCV very soon. That brass book is hot, with some fat percussion beats to go with it. Colorguard could use a bit more selling with their dancing.

10) SCV - great control and balance as always. This new brass staff has done wonderful things to them and the percussion is in a league of their own. I see now why everyone says their drill is so intricate: They have a way of staying 3-4 steps for a lot of the show, appearing to have a large presence on the field. They manipulate those spaces and contract/expand those for maximum effect. Very cool stuff. That ending ( A segmented company front with 10 seconds of music of the night, followed by about 30 of fast paced not-music-of-the-night) was kind of a letdown. We shall see how it pans out in August. Foot timing kind of sketchy here.

11) Cadets - I don't know where to begin here. I know as the skill level of the corps goes up, I get more nitpicky but this was by far NOT the best showing I have seen of Cadets. There was a brief mellophone tumble, a trumpet player who was obviously newly in the show (missed visuals, looked very lost) and there was HORRIBLE foot phasing. I know the white hides way more than it should, but when members next to each other are an eighth note off from each other there is a big issue. Sounded like typical Cadets, with a full sound (synth poked out a bit here) but overall a good showing from the kids.

HOPEFULLY THE CORPS CAN GET SOME REST FROM THIS HEAT (but probably not, going to crappy Atlanta humidity/heat/misery) because boy howdy all these kids looked drained.

How do you go about missing two shows??

Edited by Cavies92FTW

I find it interesting that you say SCV new brass staff (BLuecoats old) is doing wonderful things but they are getting beat by the people that replaced them(not the first time too).

I hear different than the judges. Bloo is rightfully about SCV (with their level of detail and difficulty) but SCV has a great deal of clarity to their music. Very balanced, blended, and clear/defined releases almost all the time. I love that "crisp and full" sound they are starting to achieve more than Madison's "brighter" tone. Turf field, by the way.

I "had a small bladder." I also had friends at the show I haven't seen in a while so I ducked out for a bit and those two happened to be the corps. Nothing personal there.

Edited by THeShadeOfNight
  • Like 1

Maybe some bad stadium nachos?