Does Anyone Know The Story In BK's Show?

And as I pointed out above, I find it odd that somebody would object to BK of all corps doing a JABOM/M show. With the possible exception of their snow-themed show in 09, I can't think of any show of theirs in recent memory that was anything other than "just movement and music." Back when I marched we made a POINT not to muck up our shows with a "story," 2010 was definitely that way too (3 unrelated pieces of European music put together into a concert), and the only discernible "story" in last year's show was "English music." "Just a bunch of music/movement" seems to be what BK does best!

Just to be clear, I don't object to a JABOM/M show and I certainly don't take anything away from the quality of performance and the scores a Corps receives when performing such a show. I simply prefer to watch a show that has a story.

The only reason I mentioned JABOM/M in this thread was in response to the member who suggested BK should just play more music. I think it's pretty obvious that this year's show is not a JABOM/M type of show and I prefer that it not become one.

In regard to the type of show BK does best...perhaps this year's show will change your opinion.

Just to be clear, I don't object to a JABOM/M show and I certainly don't take anything away from the quality of performance and the scores a Corps receives when performing such a show. I simply prefer to watch a show that has a story.

The only reason I mentioned JABOM/M in this thread was in response to the member who suggested BK should just play more music. I think it's pretty obvious that this year's show is not a JABOM/M type of show and I prefer that it not become one.

In regard to the type of show BK does best...perhaps this year's show will change your opinion.

Trittico? Triticco? Tritico? I dunno .... but that has been my favorite show by BK up until this year. The 99 version. Beautiful playing!

06 Dark KNights was blistering .. I very much enjoyed it.

09 Shiver was VERY entertaining visually

11 was GREAT entertainment and very much a throwback show .....

But 2012 is special. I think it's a great representation of all things Blue Knights .. a culmination of everything they've show they're capable of in the past. It probably won't place as high as the 99 show ... or the 98 show .. but in this different era .. I think this is a great corps with superb design .. wildly entertaining .. funny at times ... playful, powerful, mind-bending, sophisticated and something this years edition of BK (and all of their past alumni) should and will be extremely proud of. This show, I believe, will draw more talent to Denver for the coming seasons. Don't change what you're doing BK. Keep being true to yourselves. It's paying off!

• Like 2

I get where RockyGranite is coming from - there's nothing wrong with enjoying a show for what's simply put in front of you. But when there's definitely a "story" there, and you're not getting it, it's incredibly difficult to make that leap.

Mike

I'm getting the impression this bird catches on fire, is abducted onto a spaceship, and theymeet up with the jetsons briefly. maybe Astro frees them

• Like 1

I definitely prefer for any "story" that exists in the show not to become bigger than the music or marching, and I love JABOMM shows for exactly that reason. The risk of storytelling is that if the story is not compelling or if it's too cliche or melodramatic, it can easily become more of a detriment to the enjoyment of other elements of the show. And if the story is told explicitly, or if its intended meaning is too explicit, that can also be a turn off (COUGHcadets08COUGH).

Storytelling is not something the structure of drum corps really lends itself to. An internal story that drives the design can be simple and cliche, that's fine, but just like any music and/or dance form of art, the performance can and should transcend anything that can be expressed as a story in the same amount of time. I think that's why ballets and operas and even musicals can portray dead-simple stories and still be great art. The story is just a loose framework to build the real work that's going on.

But that's just my point of view on all of this.

All that said, I had no clue what BK's story was, and didn't pick it up from the high-cam Fan Network views I've had so far of the show. And despite that I really like this show. (Though yeah, drop the Jetsons and Star Trek clips, they feel cheap and take us out of the bizarre otherworldly zone this show creates.)

Well, I haven't watched a whole lot of shows, but out of the ones I've seen, Spartacus stands out as an excellent example of storytelling, by way of Drum Corps, at its finest. Now, I don't think BK can perform to the level of excellence that PR displayed...at least not yet...but if BK can tell their story as effectively...however well they perform...I'll be quite pleased, I think the spectators will be pleased and I think their finals scores will be good.

I think in this "CONCEPT/STORY" age of DCI ... fans EXPECT a story right out of gate from every corps on the field. A story or a concept they can easily follow. Uhhhhhhh not every show has a concept or story. Madison isn't doing a show like that. Crown honestly SHOULDN'T being doing a show like that ... it doesn't need it.

But then you have BD-dada, PR-PMSheadhunters, Cavies-I'mgonnaliveforever, etc etc etc right on down the list. So I see why ppl think they need to think that. But you don't. Sometimes it's just music and moving .. and there are a few "conceptual" treats thrown in .. ala Scouts. BK might be telling a story ... but I don't see it .. and I think they know it isn't necessary. I think they hit at ideas behind the show concept .. but they're not selling a concept like BD is doing. I think I just contradicted myself :tongue:

OH WELL! YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Fair enough. I guess I just disagree that this show tells a story or is meant to tell a story. To me it's just "Alien Birds" and not a whole lot more. It may not be an all out JABOM/M show, but I'd say it has more of a "theme" than a "story." It certainly isn't anywhere close to as literal as something like Phantom 08, nor do I want it to be. I personally feel that if the "story" were any more prevalent than it already is, then it would cross the line from "playful" into the realm of "cheesy" and that's something I hope to NEVER see from my BK!

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying that all story shows are cheesy... I happen to LOVE PR 08, SCV 04, BD 97... but I absolutely feel that making too much of a story out of "alien birds" would cross the line into the cheese ball category.

Edited by mr1138

Well, I haven't watched a whole lot of shows, but out of the ones I've seen, Spartacus stands out as an excellent example of storytelling, by way of Drum Corps, at its finest. Now, I don't think BK can perform to the level of excellence that PR displayed...at least not yet...but if BK can tell their story as effectively...however well they perform...I'll be quite pleased, I think the spectators will be pleased and I think their finals scores will be good.

It's beautiful when great stories are told by a dirty corps that places 7th or 12th. See Sky Ryders 86-88, Suncoast Sound 83,84,87,88,89 and WOW 85 .. can't forget that one. I just don't get why BK HAS to tell a story? They're not really trying. The show works without it.

But..... Is this what's cool about BK this year? It's sophisticated enough for people to draw storylines from but straight forward enough with great drill and music to just be enjoyed as such! What a rare treat to have a show give us so many angles to view it by!

Fair enough. I guess I just disagree that this show tells a story or is meant to tell a story. To me it's just "Alien Birds" and not a whole lot more. It may not be an all out JABOM/M show, but I'd say it has more of a "theme" than a "story." It certainly isn't anywhere close to as literal as something like Phantom 08, nor do I want it to be. I personally feel that if the "story" were any more prevalent than it already is, then it would cross the line from "playful" into the realm of "cheesy" and that's something I hope to NEVER see from my BK!

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying that all story shows are cheesy... I happen to LOVE PR 08, SCV 04, BD 97... but I absolutely feel that making too much of a story out of "alien birds" would cross the line into the cheese ball category.

At times I think it's different things throughout the show. Birds, Aliens, Spaceships, Survival, Triumph ... it's all things and I'm sure some that I didn't even post. It IS what you see it as being. It's for you to interpret ... and discuss ... and think about a few more times. That's truly Sully's GREATEST asset as a designer in DCI. He's practically done interviews where he's said those very words. See 1991 Cadets vignette. I'll try to paraphrase, "It's those moments that are uncomfortable or different that you don't get right away ... grab on to them .. because those are the best ones."