Best DCI Opener Ever

I have to throw Crown 2008 into the mix. The contrast between the lighthearted strains of Candide and gigantic first impact is nothing short of spectacular.

• Like 1

Oh man, there's just too many. I'm not gonna make a huge list because I know when others do that, I tune out, so here goes...

96 Phantom Regiment (Number one in favorite openers as far as music goes. I still will sometimes play this at full volume on my surround sound system and pretend I'm back in Orlando on that night years ago, but the recording doesn't do this coprs [or any corps that year, imo] justice.)

95 Madison Scouts (That hornline was just insane! The energy and excitement they created was truly something special to witness firsthand.)

87 Santa Clara Vanguard (This is, to this day, one of my top favorite shows of all time.)

88 Velvet Knights (Zorba the Greek, if you count it as the "opener" it was SO awesome, the energy in the crowd and on the field...)

85 Santa Clara Vanguard (definitely came immediately to mind for one of the best openers ever.)

92 Crossmen (shocked many of us in the crowd at finals by just how amazing they were.)

2008 Carolina Crown (Great, GREAT music.)

There are more, but this is getting too big.

I don't think 1992 Cadets mentioned yet?

Opening slow change to bird shape!

Airplane with propellers!

Silent flag feature!

Giant sound!

Crazy fast!

That was a great opener and I would put that on my list. IMHO, 1992 Cavaliers (Gavorkna Fanfare) is the best! :worthy: I have it as an email notification. My other favorite openers are the following:

1990 & 1991 Star of Indiana

1993, 1997 & 2000 The Cadets

1996, 2003 & 2011 Phantom Regiment

2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 & 2012 Carolina Crown (has the best openers)

1989, 1999 & 2000 Santa Clara Vanguard

2003, 2010, 2011 & 2012 Madison Scouts (they've had some of the best openers lately).

SCV '99: the first time I heard it, I couldn't even listen to the show all the way through...I listened to the opener repeatedly. I love how the opener just starts from nothing and gradually builds up. Sets the mood perfectly

Phantom '91: love the hornline, love the music. Especially the Mello solo

Bluecoats 2010: I know this one is recent, but I have a feeling this will be a show that I will never stop listening too. I loved the hornline that year, and the opener just did it for me. I can loop that thing for hours and not get tired of it.

• Like 2

Completely biased:

Rocky Point Holiday - '83 Garfield Cadets

Scorched Earth!

Completely correct. :cool:

+++

I try to limit my answers to such questions to corps from this century. But the OP did say best "ever."

• Like 1

For me it's 89 Madison, "Make His Praise Glorious". Brilliant arrangement.

Nice dark horse pick. :thumbup:

There was this opener The Cavaliers did in 1983. I don't remember the name.

Hmmm... you mean the one YOU wrote for the corps? :rolleyes:

Jade if I'm not mistaken.

Sometimes we really have to temper your enthusiasm, Boo!

1987 SCV

Period