Should DCI go back to a regional touring schedule?

Is Regional the way to go?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

Why does everyone think that national touring killed local corps?

Why not the opposite? Fewer local corps --> need to travel farther for competition

The reasons for the decline in local corps are many, and have have discussed at length on DCP. I don't think the rise of national touring was one of the primary factors.

yes and no. national touring does raise costs, gas, food, etc. And let's face it, to be viewed as competitive, you have to tour.

quick, name the last regional touring World Class corps to make finals?

With all due respect, they weren't going from Dubuque to Ohio or Pennsylvania. Often, the furthest east that DCM went was Toledo or so. Everything east of there fell into DCE territory.

The vast majority of their shows were in Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa. Look at the weeks prior to DCM championships in 96 as in my example above. Calculate the distance show-to-show for that first tour versus show-to-show distance for the first few weeks today.

Comparatively, the corps were definitely NOT traveling the same distances that they are today.

Also, for the Colts, a show in Illinois is a VERY short trip, as it's only about 2-21/2 hours from Dubuque to Chicago.

actually for years, Pittsburgh had a DCM show, and I believe Lake Erie Regiment competed in DCM.

And yet he also voluntarily agreed to have Cadets tour out west in 2010. Pot=black kettle much?

Since this relates... Hops/Cadets facebook like 2 minutes ago :lookaround: