Should DCI go back to a regional touring schedule?

Is Regional the way to go?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

The regional model is cool and could make the financial strain lessen a bit, as well as give corps more time to clean and polish and less time on the bus, at least in the early season. My rookie year was the last year of DCS and I remember short rides, long rehearsals and floor time. Obviously, the national tour/major regionals would still have to happen, but the early part of the tour could be regional and be a huge help. Not a simple change to make, but probably a beneficial one. Even if it were just West, Midwest and East, the travel strain could be greatly reduced. Some sort of yearly "exchange" program could happen as well with some sort of rotating order of corps swapping regions for early tour. Seems like that happens fairly regularly nowadays anyhow, at least with corps from the east/midwest going out west for the early shows.

NOTE: I chose yes, but I really wanted to also vote for waffles.

Edited by Cron

The regional model is cool and could make the financial strain lessen a bit, as well as give corps more time to clean and polish and less time on the bus, at least in the early season. My rookie year was the last year of DCS and I remember short rides, long rehearsals and floor time. Obviously, the national tour/major regionals would still have to happen, but the early part of the tour could be regional and be a huge help. Not a simple change to make, but probably a beneficial one. Even if it were just West, Midwest and East, the travel strain could be greatly reduced. Some sort of yearly "exchange" program could happen as well with some sort of rotating order of corps swapping regions for early tour. Seems like that happens fairly regularly nowadays anyhow, at least with corps from the east/midwest going out west for the early shows.

NOTE: I chose yes, but I really wanted to also vote for waffles.

Who doesn't like waffles? :tongue:

YES!!!!!

Touring is too expensive for all but the elite corps. For the rest of them, make it affordable. Make it viable to start up. Make it possible for staff and volunteers to help the corps.

Yes - big, big yes.

Am I in any way being ambiguous? Yes to regional!

Edited by Grandpa

Basically what I've gathered:

It's good in concept, but with so few corps in regions like the northwest and southeast, it would be hard for some? Glad this hasn't turned into an argument filled thread...yet. :ph34r:

I think it could be arranged that the corps in the Northwest could be helped out to join up and tour in the Southwest with every in California and such and then Troop, BK, maybe the Texas corps if you want to lump them in there? It seems like that would be the most reasonable fix. As far as the Southeast, as we down here are down to (unfortunately) only Crown and Spirit (and Music City, but they're already close enough to my following point to make it somewhat easy on them) they could probably join up with what would be the new DCM or DCE, their choice would probably be best. This really isn't terribly illogical since they already tour in those areas early season on a consistent basis. There may be more to it that would complicate these things from happening, but I'm just making some observations.

One thing about regional early season shows - there's no reason that they must solely contain DCI World Class corps. If you add Open Class or even DCA groups, then the "South" and "East" regions look a lot more plausible. The old Hershey PA show (with a mix of DCI & DCA groups) was always a lot of fun and is the type of event I'd hope this change would bring back.

• Like 2

What is the difference between driving 10k miles around in circles or back and forth across the country? Regional is great, but how about a shorter tour? Let's make the OC season start four weeks before finals, and maybe even limit "moving in" to 2-3 weeks before that?

New OC Model, all corps competing in OC would agree to the terms, maybe even have a OC Regional Division?

Limit one camp per month Nov-May. Not a big deal, but corps pushing for more time would gain advantage.

Allow camps every weekend in June, that's four more camps.

Allow move ins the last weekend of June or July 1st. Allows corps to do local showing off for the 4th of July and build community support. Corps could stay in local housing with families or somewhere where they could have camp to teach drill etc. Lets young kids finish school etc.

Four weeks before finals OC Regional Division would start tour. Maybe weekend shows in the first two weeks? I don't know, but the idea is to NOT be on the road for 8 weeks. Heck....maybe even have a three week tour.

Basically less touring, easier music and drill, and less chance to out spend and out bankrupt everyone else in the division. Maybe even no electronics and limit of 100 kids? Something to level the playing field. The draw for OC Regional Division is touring, not beating the Blue Devils. Corps wanting more can always move up to OC or WC as need be.

Edited by jonnyboy

Well, Hop and some of his fellow corps directors only have themselves to blame. The regional touring model was the easiest way to keep more corps healthier for longer and only the most financially capable continued on to the DCI half of tour. Shame, but they have created the monster. I can remember playing in front of sell-out crowds in no-name little towns in Wisconsin and Illinois on the DCM tour. Now you have to travel 5 and 6 (or more) hours between shows.

Your post to this topic reflect my feelings exactly. How many more corps do we have to play taps for before someone realizes that the current touring model is broken.

As far as the Southeast, as we down here are down to (unfortunately) only Crown and Spirit (and Music City, but they're already close enough to my following point to make it somewhat easy on them) they could probably join up with what would be the new DCM or DCE, their choice would probably be best.

SE is viable also but would take some cooperation. You have Spirit, Crown, MC, CV, Alliance, TB Thunder, etc. That's a 6 corps group. But would everyone freak out of Spirit, Crown, MC played in DCA shows hosted by the others if they in return performed in DCI shows hosted by them? That would limit you to weekend full shows but you might be able to even pull off a few 4 corps midweeks if you made sure it was close to one of the DCA corps. Fill the gaps with some cool encores or something. Hell for that matter you could drag in some of the Texas corps if you had a mid-south show, LA, ARK, TX maybe even Miss?

There's always answers. The question is are people willing to think outside the box or swallow egos to do whatever it takes to make things work.

Edited by WWonka

I'm undecided. As a fan, I think it is VERY naive of me to assume I know what is best for the activity. I personally don't know what it takes to run Cadets, or Carolina Crown, etc. I think that WGI has a mostly great competitive model*, and while I think it might be prudent for DCI to explore this model a bit, I'm not convinced it's best for the activity. It seems like corps can choose to compete regionally if they want (see PC for a corps that continually does the Regional touring model yet still offers a great experience for their members), and corps w/leadership who choose to overextend their organizations financially but forsaking the fiscally responsible regional tour for national touring in order to gain a perceived competitive or recruiting edge is more of an individual unit problem and not necessarily a DCI-wide problem.

Less touring might mean less expenses, but it would also mean potentially less income: I honestly don't know if less expense outweighs less income.

* though while I understand why WGI likes to have finals in the same spot annually, I think it places a potential disadvantage on units from the western region and would like to see WGI move their Championships annually on a regional cycle: east, mid-west, west, maybe south: but that's for another thread/forum