Drum Corps Genie

Hmmm...

1987 Cadets for the win

1988 VK for the laughs

1995 Scouts for Malaga

Since we all, through youtube or Fan Network, can see a good many shows which we choose based on excellence, my choices are made simply to experience the level of emotion or crowd response inherent in that particular performance.

1) 1980 Spirit of Atlanta -- July 1980, Memphis, Tennessee (And no, I don't think of myself as being a "sick puppy")

2) 1988 Madison Scouts -- DCI Finals

3) 2009 Troopers -- DCI Finals

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Okay, here's the scenario...

You are in the lot after a show and some unenlightened person has dropped a plastic soda bottle. You pick it up to recycle it and out comes...a drum corps genie. The genie tells you that because you are responsible and realize how fragile we are, he is going to grant you three drum corps wishes.

You may go back in time and be a witness to three (and ONLY three) corps performances in all of drum corps history. You will get to witness these performances only once. You may sit anywhere in the stadium and be assured of perfect viewing/listening conditions (no one around you talking or screaming for their friends.) You may choose shows you have seen before, shows you have participated in, or shows you have never seen live.

IF you attempt to wish for anything else, for more wishes, or wish for MORE than three performances, the drum corps genie will disappear and you will be immediately transported to a basics block of unspecified duration to do your penance.

What are your three wishes?

1980 Spirit of Atlanta at Michigan City IN - I was there when the glass in the press-box supposedly cracked

1983 Illiana Lancers at Momence IL (would love to see us from the stands)

1976 Blue Devils at DCI

Honorable Mentions: 1994 27 Lancers and 1975 Madison

First: St. Kevin' Emerald Knights any year they were at their peak. I taught at St. Kevin's School long after the corps disbanded, but I always heard such rave reviews about them and their founder, the one and only Fr. J. Joseph Kierce was a friend and mentor, even if he did wish Catholic School teachers did so voluntarily out of love of God. Of course the teachers did all get paid--the man was generous to a fault to everyone but himself.

Second: The Chicago Royal-Aires any time their were at their height. A bit before my time, and even though I can talk the old school game pretty well, I would have only been two or three at their height. They are just one of those great, fabled corps that I wish I had seen.

Third: Genie's Choice: Any performance from the 1976 CYO Nationals--my first live exposure to nationally competitive corps. I loved that night and would enjoy seeing any of them again.

And if the genie has limitations and cannot fulfill the above requests, any 27th Lancer or BAC that is not currently available through DCI will do.

• Like 1

First: St. Kevin' Emerald Knights any year they were at their peak. I taught at St. Kevin's School long after the corps disbanded, but I always heard such rave reviews about them and their founder, the one and only Fr. J. Joseph Kierce was a friend and mentor, even if he did wish Catholic School teachers did so voluntarily out of love of God. Of course the teachers did all get paid--the man was generous to a fault to everyone but himself.

Second: The Chicago Royal-Aires any time their were at their height. A bit before my time, and even though I can talk the old school game pretty well, I would have only been two or three at their height. They are just one of those great, fabled corps that I wish I had seen.

Third: Genie's Choice: Any performance from the 1976 CYO Nationals--my first live exposure to nationally competitive corps. I loved that night and would enjoy seeing any of them again.

And if the genie has limitations and cannot fulfill the above requests, any 27th Lancer or BAC that is not currently available through DCI will do.

Tim,

Even though before my time (and please, no inherent intent to make you feel "old" :laugh: ), you've made me want to build my own time machine and go back to those days.

Thank You.

• Like 1

Phantom 08 (was there for finals but it's still the best show I've ever been there for)

BD '12 (Dada show; amazing)

Crown '13 (Well, DUH)

Tim,

Even though before my time (and please, no inherent intent to make you feel "old" :laugh: ), you've made me want to build my own time machine and go back to those days.

Thank You.

I am only 51, but last summer I felt like a fossil in Indy. The young man sitting next to me wished he had seen Star of Indiana livebut they stopped competing before he was born.

I am only 51, but last summer I felt like a fossil in Indy. The young man sitting next to me wished he had seen Star of Indiana livebut they stopped competing before he was born.

Well, for what it's worth Sir, I just turned 55. So you're still a "young'un".

And I REALLY resisted the urge to say "Star of Indiana."?? Which constellation??

Edited by HornTeacher