Drum Corps Genie

AM I to understand you never saw the finals or allentown performance of PR 08? Man ... you can't even compare the June product to the August product and even think that's the same corps. So many layers were added to that show .. and the storyline wound up OVER THE TOP!

No no, I did see the video of the final performance. In fact, I bought the 2008 DVD as soon as it went on sale! I took the June video with a grain of salt since it was a bad-quality video of an early performance, but I had an interesting feeling about that show... thumbup.gif

Please forgive me, it was specifically the 2008 season that inspired me to get my lazy butt up and go enjoy live drum corps in the first place!

Edited by Fobo1991

80' Spirit- loud, powerful hornline. Wow they were loud!

88' Devils- still love that music to this day!

95' Scouts- INTENSITY! Standing O's! Just listened to em again last night, brought me right back there in front of them, massive goose bumps everywhere. A onslaught of awesomeness!

• Like 1

All DCI Finals versions:

80 Spirit of Atlanta (never experienced)

87 Santa Clara Vanguard (never experienced finals)

89 Phantom Regiment (Experienced at finals. It would be nice to go back to the innocence. The last finals before I marched, and went behind the curtain. Only to re-emerge a little too critical to enjoy drum corps the way I did as simply a pure fanboy.)

If the genie could show me these three - Drum Corps might be completely different today:

Bridgemen Finals 1984

27th Lancers Finals 1985

SkyRyders Finals 1992

(Honorable Mention) L'Offensive d'Jonquierre Finals 1979

80' Spirit- loud, powerful hornline. Wow they were loud!

88' Devils- still love that music to this day!

95' Scouts- INTENSITY! Standing O's! Just listened to em again last night, brought me right back there in front of them, massive goose bumps everywhere. A onslaught of awesomeness!

great choice!

1985 Suncoast Sound - Florida Suite.... Midnight in Miami is just what I think Drum Corps is all about

2008 Phantom Regiment - Would have loved to have been a part of the standing ovations that started 2 minutes before the show was ever over

1990 Star of Indiana - Belshazaars Feast musically gave me chills

• Like 2

Note: Started following DCI in 2007, so I'm a newbie.

-SCV 2009 (saw this at my first live DCI show ever; this show is the reason I fell in love with drum corps; that Simple Gifts company front still remains as the best moment in my short live-DCI experience)

Thanks. Glad people appreciate it.

Genie...this is so tough! I want to break the rules and just say three different finals (12 corps each), but I know that is against the wish contract.

So I have to regretfully let go of many, many shows I wish I could have seen live; and am left with these three:

1988 Madison Scouts: One of my favorite shows of all time, and what got me into drum corps. To be there in the crowd, not knowing they were poised to win (due to the draws at finals), would have been unbelievable.

1996 Phantom Regiment: This was during my dark years, trying to work my way up the corporate ladder and forgetting for a regrettable time in my life about drum corps, I hear so many wonderful things about seeing this show live. If I could have been at that finals show, I would have given up the silly striving for upwardly mobile stupidity.

2003 Phantom Regiment: So what if they didn't win? This show makes me feel everything, and I wish I could have been there.

(I have been at finals every year (except 2007) since 2006, and was also at Allentown in 08, and was able to see PR's new ending and then at finals, so I am not making the same mistake again!) my runners up would have been 1989 SCV, 1989 PR, 1995 Madison - but I don't want to anger the genie, so I will let those go...