The show MUST go on....NOT!

I would not be in favor of that type of rule change (unless the corps begin doing real football type tackles or actual boxing type right hooks). I mean this is an athletic activity; and in "any" athletic activity injuries can and will occur. Heck, you can even break your ankle stepping off a curb crossing the street. So no, I do not see the need for another rule on top of a rule just to make things even more convoluted than they already are.

But most other athletic activities change their rules from time to time to make them safer. The uneven parallel bars (in gymnastics) completely changed the orientation of the bars after the routines were becoming too wildly unsafe. Rules in football are being continually modified, such as with regards to the amount and type of contact allowed. Are you saying drumcorps should never change its rules in the interests of safety?

• Like 1

The FACT that shows are stopped due to lightning shows that it CAN be done. Someone is responsible for making that call. I'm confident DCI could come up with a way for someone to be responsible for making that same call due to injury.

True; but even then the the motion on the field is not stopped "abruptly"; an efficient way is found to communicate to the members during an all-stop portion of the drill, or a slow section of the drill, which might take a min or so to accomplish.

I would also say there is a BIG difference between a member falling down (as is known to happen from time to time) and a member falling down and STAYING DOWN FOR 2 MINUTES...20% of the show.

So how about a 10 or a 15 second second rule to determine if the performer is going to get up; this is long enough for the performer to bounce back up and long enough to determine if the performer is going to stay down; and then the "yellow flag" is thrown.

Hey guys,

I usually don't chime in on threads like this, but here goes...

1) Kids get hurt at rehearsals when they don't follow instructions and either stop early or go on in the drill, so many (if not all corps) have ways of getting the whole group to start and stop together and drill that into the members early and often. So, stopping the show might actually hurt more kids, then help.

2) I have seen some posts about 2010 on here, so I feel the need to respond. In 2010, when Ryan got hurt, there was tremendous speculation about his injury here on DCP as it happened. The experts insisted that Ryan was a girl, there was blood on his uniform, and other ugly descriptions etc etc. I ran to the sidelines immediately when it happened, Jim Coates was already there taking him off the field, the field percussion judge stopped and helped him, and one of our drivers got hurt trying to run across the turf, I looked down at Ryan and asked him how he was doing. We all knew he was hurt and bad, but not like it was described online.

The worst of it was that people here on DCP were "experts" on the issue. Even printed his name here online, before we even notified his family in Spokane, WA. I was fighting it here online, because I did not want inaccuracies to be stated. Foolish me. I stayed with Ryan for 5 days. Crown paid for a hotel room for his best friend to stay behind to help him get home. We contacted his family, who are the nicest people on the face of the planet (his Mom still thanks me all the time for what we did to take care of him). We raised money for him. We flew him to DCI last year to be with his corps family... and we all cheered for him to make the corps, but after the number of surgeries that he had, it was not meant to be. We needed another DM for the summer... and there was no better person than Ryan for the job.

Please let this play out. The PC administration is doing their best to care for their member, working with their family, and treating the student with great respect and care. We all do that. As a matter of fact, Crown (like many other corps) now travels with a certified athletic trainer. No, not the part-time type, but the kind that this is her major in college and she is highly trained. Heck. Even our doctors and professional nurses that come around are highly impressed by her. I am sure that PC is doing their best. And when students need to go to hospitals, they go.

So, with that said... Please... Don't jump ugly on the situation. = )

Happy Murfreesboro and Atlanta Regional weekend.

If you are watching online or at the show and see or hear something that moves you... GET UP AND LET THESE KIDS KNOW IT! Stand.. Cheer.. Throw the proverbial babies! That's the difference between drum corps and... well, just about anything else.

(going back to my lurking... have fun)

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 7

The FACT that shows are stopped due to lightning shows that it CAN be done. Someone is responsible for making that call. I'm confident DCI could come up with a way for someone to be responsible for making that same call due to injury.

I would also say there is a BIG difference between a member falling down (as is known to happen from time to time) and a member falling down and STAYING DOWN FOR 2 MINUTES...20% of the show.

Lightning itself provides two big warnings when it happens, light and sound. A member going down can at best yell.

• Like 1

I usually don't chime in on threads like this, but here goes...

etc.

Thanks for taking the time to post with your firsthand experience. Although I'm not sure what specifically you are recommending relative to the original post... are you saying there /should/ or /shouldn't/ be a plan for stopping a show if a member is seriously injured?

Tough call. I definitely think 1 staff member should be in charge of watching out for fallen corps members during a performance. Others should be ready to help a fallen corps member, such as what happened to Crown in 2010...right in front of me.

But too many times, especially early in the season (i know this is not early), that a corps member will slip, or some will run into each other. At Akron some Blue Stars members took a stumble, ive heard some issues with them and other corps as well throughout this season.

I do think that there should be an instance where they can say stop, we need to get this member off the field right now, and stop the show for such a thing. I don't know where that line is, but I think it is rare enough that it wouldn't take away from the activity and could prevent future falls in the process.

I remember one of the biggest things with Crown in 2010 was that it was right at the end of their show as well, a lot of quick drill action was going to take place, if they didn't act so quickly who knows if someone else wouldve fallen.

But yes, there should be a cut off switch for some cases.

Official PC people are best suited to comment, but....

I'm a PC mom. My daughter texted that it was his knee and he's hoping to rest today and maybe even try to perform on Saturday. Surprisingly great news, even if the healing takes longer. I'm sure the kid would be mortified to learn that it was captured on FN and talked about on DCP. I mentioned that to my daughter and wonder if she'll blab to him lol.

That said, I wonder how the injured performers themselves would feel about stopping a show. I think they'd die of embarrassment if my own kid is any indication. Yeah, this guy was in a fairly clear spot away from the drill so it wasn't too bad. I think it worked out alright. Dropping smack in the middle of the action poses a bigger threat to everyone if they don't stop the show. I think sometimes you just have to react and go with instinct on a case by case basis.

Yes, that's right I'm re quoting my own post because I think y'all need to take a step back, relax, and notice that the kid is going to be ok. That news right there should be enough for cool heads to prevail. Let's relax, let PC take care of him, and go on with a great season for all. :smile:

• Like 1

I am saying, let the corps staff and medical personal, the contest coordinators, judges, and the people who are there do their best.

• Like 3

Yes, that's right I'm re quoting my own post because I think y'all need to take a step back, relax, and notice that the kid is going to be ok. That news right there should be enough for cool heads to prevail. Let's relax, let PC take care of him, and go on with a great season for all. :smile:

:thumbup:

• Like 1

my 2 cents just on the elapse time till help arrived....most staffs either are grouped to the left of the 50 or at the top of the stadium, the staff on the ground most likely couldn't see a fallen player in the upper far left of the field, the staff in the stands might of seen him but it most likely would take 2 mins to get from top of stadium to him on the field, the staff looked to be in full speed so that tells me its a matter they weren't aware....

on the judge that walked by i think he should of stopped checked on the kid and made motions to sideline that help was needed