The show MUST go on....NOT!

Its a sign of our times when we put winning ahead of helping somoene :thumbdown: . The people that say the show must go on are the same people that keep going when someone is hurt on the street. I find it funny that we find the killing of 12 people in a movie theatre so upseting but the injury of a young adult less then important then a musical show? As a firefighter I've seen dozens of memebrs stop fighting a fire to help another brother or sister in service.

Stop the show and help the member. How would people have felt if Gid forbid that member of Crown had fractured the leg and the bone puncture a blood vessal? Can't happen, think again. Every second is important in a medical emergency, especially if you don't know the nature of the injury.

why would you say" sign of the times...people now are more sympathetic then bitd...many were told if someone fainted step on them and move on..in my day.i also dont think anyone said winning is more important BUT ask the kid who was hurt if they wanted to not see their group move on maybe to a victory.....get the person help with minimal disturbance....staff should have been watching and assisted if necessary........also when did winning become a dirty word

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever seen it take so long for an injured member to receive help. Still, corps nowadays seem to be very conscious of medical issues, even when compared to just a decade ago. Many (most? all?) now have trained medical staff on tour, so I imagine that showtime injuries and how to respond to them have been discussed pretty thoroughly.

It would be nice to hear from someone in the know about these things. I'm sure someone will fill us in eventually, but they're probably a bit occupied at the moment.

Its a sign of our times when we put winning ahead of helping somoene :thumbdown: . The people that say the show must go on are the same people that keep going when someone is hurt on the street. I find it funny that we find the killing of 12 people in a movie theatre so upseting but the injury of a young adult less then important then a musical show? As a firefighter I've seen dozens of memebrs stop fighting a fire to help another brother or sister in service.

Stop the show and help the member. How would people have felt if Gid forbid that member of Crown had fractured the leg and the bone puncture a blood vessal? Can't happen, think again. Every second is important in a medical emergency, especially if you don't know the nature of the injury.

No one here of sound mind is advocating keeping the show going while allowing a member to lay on the ground suffering a life-threatening injury on the field. I do think, however, that the issues being debated are: a) How quickly can a corps come to a safe halt without causing possible injuries to other performers if a life-threatening injury happens to occur on the field; and b) Should the show stop in case of a non life-threatening injury such as a twisted ankle, or skinned up knee, where the performer just needs help in getting off the field.

Edited by Stu

Here's the "official update" from Pacific Crest Executive Director, Stuart Pompel - posted this evening on the Pacific Crest website:

Injury Update from Little Rock, AR

During our performance in Little Rock, Arkansas, one of our tuba players fell and had to be assisted off the field. The performer fell at the start of Tarantella Red, the last part of our first production, and was assisted off the field at the start of our second production, Yellow.

The performer was seen by first aid officials at the show site, and Pacific Crest staff brought him to a local urgent care for evaluation and treatment. We are pleased to report that the injury was minor and that the physician believes the member will be back on the field soon.

Pacific Crest thanks all of you who reached out to us. We really appreciate your concerns and well-wishes.

I have to add that the people who write that stopping a show is dangerous to the other performers.....really. How?, they might hurt their lips stopping mid note. Blow a knee coming to a slow stop....if the activity is so dangerous why don't they wear protective gear like yellow vest and hard hats....sheeeeeesh. Its beating drums, thowing flags and blowing horns for Gods sake.

You ever have someone run into you at a jazz run at 180 because they missed instructions? Yeah, probably not. I took a contra to the side of the head because some idiot didn't stop when they were supposed to in rehearsal. I was bleeding and missed a chunk of the day getting patched up. I've also seen guys have teeth get knocked out because someone backed up into them while their horn was up.

It really is dangerous to stop something mid-run.

You ever have someone run into you at a jazz run at 180 because they missed instructions? Yeah, probably not. I took a contra to the side of the head because some idiot didn't stop when they were supposed to in rehearsal. I was bleeding and missed a chunk of the day getting patched up. I've also seen guys have teeth get knocked out because someone backed up into them while their horn was up.

It really is dangerous to stop something mid-run.

Ding, Ding, Ding... Although this following example was at a high school, I am aware of a drummer who blew out a knee crab-stepping when a director yelled Halt during a fast rotation.

Here's the "official update" from Pacific Crest Executive Director, Stuart Pompel - posted this evening on the Pacific Crest website:

Good to know the kid is doing okay. I'm sure it hurt a lot at the time, but it's good it was nothing major. Will be great to see them not march a hole tomorrow.

I have to add that the people who write that stopping a show is dangerous to the other performers.....really. How?, they might hurt their lips stopping mid note. Blow a knee coming to a slow stop....if the activity is so dangerous why don't they wear protective gear like yellow vest and hard hats....sheeeeeesh. Its beating drums, thowing flags and blowing horns for Gods sake.

Stop the show and help the member. How would people have felt if God forbid that member of Crown had fractured the leg and the bone puncture a blood vessal? Can't happen, think again. Every second is important in a medical emergency, especially if you don't know the nature of the injury.

Yes, a mass murder is worse than someone getting injured in a show...

You can't say that people who want the show to continue are insensitive. An injury at a drum corps show is probably dealt with faster than if it happens at reearsal or anyone else because there EMTs at the show usually!

It's not unreasonable that people can run on, help a performer off the field and still have the show continue. This is the most preferred method and hasn't failed to keep everyone safe.

I think the bigger issue is about the drill itself. It seems that there are too many instances of players going down, starting in Whitewater in 83, 0r 84 (forget which year and I was standing in the endzone when it happened). In my entire marching career of ten years in the 70s I don't recall a single instance of anyone ever going down during a show. Cool drill moves, blind backing into sets, abrupt change of direction are fine, but someone needs to give a little more thought about what they are asking the marching members to do, and in the case of tuba players and drummers what they are doing it with. Consideraton should also be given for the surface, they aren't all the same and respond differently to people marching on them. I'm not saying death defying moves should go, but find better ways to do it. Doing drum corps is supposed to be hard work for fun, not a life changing activity due to serious inury.

I hope the kid from PC is OK.

Regards,

John

I think the bigger issue is about the drill itself. It seems that there are too many instances of players going down, starting in Whitewater in 83, 0r 84 (forget which year and I was standing in the endzone when it happened). In my entire marching career of ten years in the 70s I don't recall a single instance of anyone ever going down during a show. Cool drill moves, blind backing into sets, abrupt change of direction are fine, but someone needs to give a little more thought about what they are asking the marching members to do, and in the case of tuba players and drummers what they are doing it with. Consideraton should also be given for the surface, they aren't all the same and respond differently to people marching on them. I'm not saying death defying moves should go, but find better ways to do it. Doing drum corps is supposed to be hard work for fun, not a life changing activity due to serious inury.

I hope the kid from PC is OK.

Regards,

John

Well, to be fair, your drill wan't quite at the same degree of difficulty as the drill today. If a corps came out and did 70s style drill, they would be completely slaughtered by the judges. The incident in Whitewater was in '84 with the Cadets.

As a recent marching member, as much respect as I have for the people that marched in the 70s, I will much rather take the current style of drill and the years I marched over high mark time for 12 minutes.

• Like 1