Booing scores/winners

I agree. And even if people try to justify it by arguing they are booing the judges, it is still rude and classless. The judges don't get paid that much and put in a lot of work. Judging isn't easy. There are better ways to express your disagreement.

• Like 6

I agree. And even if people try to justify it by arguing they are booing the judges, it is still rude and classless. The judges don't get paid that much and put in a lot of work. Judging isn't easy. There are better ways to express your disagreement.

According to people on this message board it is very easy! You can just watch a show on the internet and single-handedly judge the show better than the judges that are actually there, 3 feet away from the performers and in the pressbox!

• Like 2

I would never boo and I don't particularly care to see others doing so. But I also don't think a handful of people booing the scores is the worst thing in the world, either.

We all wish there was no booing going on at the end of major shows. So is there anything we can do about it?

I would never boo and I don't particularly care to see others doing so. But I also don't think a handful of people booing the scores is the worst thing in the world, either.

We all wish there was no booing going on at the end of major shows. So is there anything we can do about it?

If an audience disagrees with the outcome of an adjudicated activity, they will pretty much always react. I"m not sure what you can do it about it.

OTOH drum corps fans tend to applaud the performers at the end of every performance whether they liked it or not. You certainly can't say that about football or soccer fans.

I understand the BD parents reaction. I wouldn't want anyone to boo my kid. OTOH if the scores are boo'd, I know (as a knowledgeable drum corps fan) that it's the scores the crowd is reacting to -- not the performers. Scores have been boo'd forever. Virtually every Madison score in the '90s was boo'd.

I don't like the boo'ing. But it happens. So I'm not gonna overreact.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

I stated earlier in another thread that if I was a potential sponsor for DCI the booing could affect my decision on whether or not to make a commitment. All of us have different tastes. There are some shows this year that I don't paricularly care for. I do feel sorry for the members of BD when people boo.

• Like 1

People boo at things they don't enjoy. Bad calls at sporting events. Things that offend them. Performances they don't enjoy (Rite of Spring riot anyone?). It's their right to boo, and it has always been the audience's right to express their content or lack thereof. Not saying I agree with it but at the same time it is an accepted part of culture, and no matter how much we keep talking about it on the board it's not gonna change any time soon.

• Like 4