Booing scores/winners

Really? Give me a break; If 3,000 of the 5,000 people in the stadium vacated their seats during the performance to express disagreement you would also blast that as hurting the feelings of the performers; if 3,000 of the 5,000 people in the stadium did not clap to express disagreement you would also blast that as hurting the feelings of the performers; if 3,000 of the 5,000 posted their disagreement on DCP you would also blast that as hurting the feelings of the performers; ad infinitum...

Ummmm ... nope. Why can't people just be decent to each other? Is that too hard to ask?

I won't boo, that's me. I asked my son what he thought about it, he aged out BD. He said it didn't really bother him; he knew they'd done a good job and fans are fans, it goes with the territory. They don’t get on their buses with their heads hanging down. They’re happy. Fans, like it or not, have to deal with it. The kids know they love their drill, they do what they’re supposed to do, they got their score and that’s just how it is. Most don’t really take it too personally. They’re pretty happy actually, another win another day of practice another competition. Season ends in August everyone goes home, done deal and we’re on here next year.

Depending on the decade there is always a corps getting booed. This has been a topic every year on every drum corps forum since the beginning of forums, RAMD, Sound Machine and now DCP. Every year, sad but true it happens; usually it's just a few people that are rude. If you’re in the stands give them the ugly stare...it makes you feel better and they usually shut up. I've done it, even when I didn't have a kid on the field.

LOL, the first time Blooooo came on the field, I just about lost it. This was my first exposure and I had to be restrained. “It’s okay Mom, sit down, they’re yelling Blooo calm down.”

This time of year I just sit on my hands as everyone gets worked up reading what others say about their corps or their opinions about a corps, the negative red goes crazy. The other night someone got a negative red because they were the first to post the scores. Talk about killing the messenger.

There’ve been a lot of changes over the last few years. I remember finals in ’02; the Cadets did a show, “Revival” in tribute to 9/11. My goodness, some fans thought they were pandering. How do you think those kids felt? Across the street from the University of Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium sits a station of the Madison Fire Department. Upon receiving the signal, sirens on fire trucks and flashing lights announced solidarity with the firemen’s brethren in NYC on finals night. Well, needless to say every fan of every other corps went crazy because they felt it was an unfair advantage. Do you know how I remember that so well; my son was a Blue Devil. The Cadet’s took 3rd but that didn’t stop drum corps wars, I was in the stands I thought it was cool. I had no idea how crazy mad people were until I got home and looked at my computer. I still don’t know if it was legal or not? Ten years later I still remember it and I still think it was a great move.

Every year someone is going to do something different; it’s art. It’s a very emotional sport we are all invested in that’s why we’re on this crazy/fun board, right? I really wouldn't worry too much about the kids, I think it's us, the parents, ex-corps members and fans that get the most worked up, hurt and angry. Just my opinion!

My son is now a visual tech for BK. As you have read they aren't exactly a crowd favorite. I ask him when he calls, "How are you doing, how do you feel, what about what people are saying, what do the kids think?" He just says, "It's all good, we like the show, the kids like the show, they're having fun." In the end that's what really matters.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom
  • Like 5

Well this IS a competition and that's how some corps win and some corps lose. The results of this game are based on criticism.

Wait. I thought criticism went out with the tic system.

Aren't we supposed on only build them up?

Bullschnit.

Every judge is thinking "I didn't like that" to some degree. To take away tics to represent that is a shame.

But I suppose the OP's feeling is exactly why it was done.

That, and that subjective-thing.

Edited by garfield

I get really annoyed when people boo a team that I like and yet... I would hate for my right to boo was taken away so it's a give and take. Boo is all in a good fun, or not, but it's whatever...

I'm sure he'll be pleased with this description...

:tongue:

If an audience disagrees with the outcome of an adjudicated activity, they will pretty much always react. I"m not sure what you can do it about it.

OTOH drum corps fans tend to applaud the performers at the end of every performance whether they liked it or not. You certainly can't say that about football or soccer fans.

I understand the BD parents reaction. I wouldn't want anyone to boo my kid. OTOH if the scores are boo'd, I know (as a knowledgeable drum corps fan) that it's the scores the crowd is reacting to -- not the performers. Scores have been boo'd forever. Virtually every Madison score in the '90s was boo'd.

I don't like the boo'ing. But it happens. So I'm not gonna overreact.

Actually, the first year my youngin' was subjected to the B Birds....I was shocked and even a little amazed that the crowd didn't correct the Birds...BTW, booing and worse. I came on here and agonized about the uncivilized conduct, blah, blah. Year two it got worse still, and the big spread made it that much worse. Year three was almost like some fans felt it was their responsibility to boo. Ultimately, through it all, the youngin' was unfazed, as they truly always celebrated among their corps family (and his on-field video proves it).

Besides, as others have suggested, scores are often read while most MM's are on the bus or even gone.

Having said that, Corpsband, should CC one day receive that BS, I guarantee it will get to you and you'd be pi$$ed. rock.gif

• Like 1

I think it's about time we stop complaining about booing. This is nothing but a waste of bandwidth

I agree. I'm pretty sure that people that boo arn't going to be persuaded not too by anything someone else tells them... and certainly not from anything posters post here on DCP. That said, giving opinions on Corps shows, both good, bad, or indifferent seems appropriate. I 'd say the " booing " discussion has just about run it's course. (Sort of like the " INT " jokes.)

Why can't people just be decent to each other? Is that too hard to ask?

OMG; Really? Well here ya go: "Love, Love, Love; All You Need is Love". Yep, that Utopian concept worked out quite well for the Beatles who sang those words didn't it; they were real decent to each other! And if four people, just four, cannot live by those standards and be decent to one another then how the heck can you expect millions and millions to be decent to one another. More importantly, unless you want to curtail individual freedom through "forced and coerced tactics", people have the right to be rude; as humans they are inherently rude; and many people want to stay rude even though others try to enlighten them and teach them kindness; that is called "freedom". Ahhh, but please look in the mirror here, I bet a dollar to a doughnut that even you are rude at times; so yeah, it is not only hard to ask but impossible to accomplish.

Edited by Stu

OMG; Really? Well her ya go: "Love, Love, Love; All You Need is Love". Yep, that Utopian concept worked out quite well for the Beatles who sang those words didn't it; they were real decent to each other! And if four people, just four, cannot live by those standards and be decent to one another then how the heck can you expect millions and millions to be decent to one another. More importantly, unless you want to curtail individual freedom through "forced and coerced tactics", people have the right to be rude; as humans they are inherently rude; and many people want to stay rude even though others try to enlighten them and teach them kindness; that is called "freedom". Ahhh, but please look in the mirror here, I bet a dollar to a doughnut that even you are rude at times; so yeah, it is not only hard to ask but impossible to accomplish.

Who is forcing anyone to do anything? Talk about hyperbole. Grow up.