Booing scores/winners

A waste of bandwidth is posting how terrible a show is...so I will not complain about the booing if everyone else stops their criticism.

A waste of bandwidth is posting how terrible a show is...so I will not complain about the booing if everyone else stops their criticism.

Well this IS a competition and that's how some corps win and some corps lose. The results of this game are based on criticism.

Have you ever been booed?

YES! I have been booed, or at least the teams I have been have booed, while playing "competitive", and that is the key word, "competitive" youth baseball, youth football, youth soccer, youth basketball, and OMG youth drum corps. In all instances, let me repeat, "all" instances it made both myself and my teammates stronger; not only as performers (to stick it to those who booed by becoming winners in the competition), but stronger in being a *well-adjusted* adult (as in negative comments now bounce off of me and do not effect my "feelings", sniffle, sniffle). Good Grief; protecting youth engaged in a competitive activity from boos is like trying to protect them from sprained ankles, bumps, bruises, scrapes. If you do not want them exposed to those aspects, have them play non competitive tiddly winks (but a forewarning here: if you protect them from boos now through non competitive tiddly winks you will have a young adult who is ill prepared for a world which is meaner, crueler, and more violent than any boo you guarded them from).

• Like 2

1343605140[/url]' post='3188321']

YES! I have been booed, or at least the teams I have been have booed, while playing "competitive", and that is the key word, "competitive" youth baseball, youth football, youth soccer, youth basketball, and OMG youth drum corps. In all instances, let me repeat, "all" instances it made both myself and my teammates stronger; not only as performers (to stick it to those who booed by becoming winners in the competition), but stronger in being a *well-adjusted* adult (as in negative comments now bounce off of me and do not effect my "feelings", sniffle, sniffle). Good Grief; protecting youth engaged in a competitive activity from boos is like trying to protect them from sprained ankles, bumps, bruises, scrapes. If you do not want them exposed to those aspects, have them play non competitive tiddly winks (but a forewarning here: if you protect them from boos now through non competitive tiddly winks you will have a young adult who is ill prepared for a world which is meaner, crueler, and more violent than any boo you guarded them from).

I totally agree with your statement. My initial post was merely a statement on how rude I think it is...I choose not to boo because whether I agree with the outcome or not, it isn't in my nature to react that way.

There are better ways to express your disagreement.

Really? Give me a break; If 3,000 of the 5,000 people in the stadium vacated their seats during the performance to express disagreement you would also blast that as hurting the feelings of the performers; if 3,000 of the 5,000 people in the stadium did not clap to express disagreement you would also blast that as hurting the feelings of the performers; if 3,000 of the 5,000 posted their disagreement on DCP you would also blast that as hurting the feelings of the performers; ad infinitum...

• Like 1

When Cadets got booed from '06-'08, it was chalked up to "not booing the kids, booing the show design".

Now it's "not booing the kids, booing the placement".

Booing is going to happen. The reasoning behind it will always vary. And yes, as much as we'd like to think drum corps fans are different from any other competitive activity, the fact is there are ***hole drum corps fans who will boo just to be ***holes.

I disagree with it and would never do it. But I can see why some folks choose otherwise.

I totally agree with your statement. My initial post was merely a statement on how rude I think it is...I choose not to boo because whether I agree with the outcome or not, it isn't in my nature to react that way.

My posting was not in response to you but directed at jasgre200 who asked if I had ever been booed. It is understandable that you as parent (mom) are effected when your child is part of something which receives a boo; or for that matter I am sure that it is hard on you when you see your child getting a scrape, bruise, broken bone, etc... But as hard as it is on you, it is actually a beneficial learning process for your child; and you seemed to understand that with your reply here.

When Cadets got booed from '06-'08, it was chalked up to "not booing the kids, booing the show design".

Now it's "not booing the kids, booing the placement".

Booing is going to happen. The reasoning behind it will always vary. And yes, as much as we'd like to think drum corps fans are different from any other competitive activity, the fact is there are ***hole drum corps fans who will boo just to be ***holes.

I disagree with it and would never do it. But I can see why some folks choose otherwise.

While I also choose to refrain from booing, If Hop, or Gibbs, or any other director chooses to communicate his opinions "through" his kids, it is every right for the audience to communicate their opinions "through" their performance.

• Like 1

While I also choose to refrain from booing, If Hop, or Gibbs, or any other director chooses to communicate his opinions "through" his kids, it is every right for the audience to communicate their opinions "through" their performance.

Opinions on what??