Was there a lot of criticism of The Cavaliers in the early 00s?

No.

2002 was (inexplicably, IMO) one of the most popular shows I can remember.

Are you serious? I remember people RAILING against that show! (I loved it by the way). There were comments like:

"Cavaliers Opener 'Melody' has a ridiculous lack of it"

And

"If they keep writing the drill before the music and winning, this is going to kill drum corps"

Note: an interview with Michael Gaines later revealed that they never wrote the drill before the music.

Some people definitely loved it at the time, but there were definitely some major haters as well.

• Like 1

Cavaliers were visual innovators, pushing the envelope of what a corps could do during that time. Other corps had to play catch up.

The bottom line though, there are many haters when you get on top and stay on top. It happened to Cadets in the 80's. It happened to Star in the early 90's. It happened to Cavies in the early 00's. and it happens to BD today.

I have never faulted BD being on top or being good as of the recent few years. I just personally don't like their brand of drum corps, but it doesn't mean I don't respect the fact that they perform the #### out of what they do.

Now, hopefully the time may have finally arrived for Crown. Crown has fans all across the world too that want to see a championship trophy in the corps hall in Fort Mill, SC

• Like 2

Basically... live at the actual shows, they were superstars. Evidence can still be found for this today. Haven't you noticed that still this year, even with them placing at the 7th-9th range all year, they still receive probably the biggest ovation when they come on the field as anyone? In my opinion, this is a direct result from their overwhelming connection to the more "casual fan" they had in the early 00's.

On DCP, and among discussions with more die-hard fans, they did receive a fair amount of criticism.... mostly in my opinion because of their success, but also because of the extreme reliance on visual.

As for the "hate" for these three corps in the past decade, I think each is really a completely different situation.

Cavies were disliked (to a lesser degree than the others) mostly because of success, but a little because of emphasis on visual, and other minor design reasons.

Cadets were disliked almost entirely because of their use of the "new elements"... voice mostly, and some very different design elements (characters in 2006). I don't think the 'hate' was at all because of their success as Obviously 2006 and 2008 were not successful by Cadets standards. And I really never got the impression that in 2005 when they won, and 2007 when their nearly won, that anyone seriously thought they should be placing much lower. Those were some seriously performing corps and I think were highly respected as performers... with the hate really being thrown all at the design team (by that I mean mostly Hopkins).

The Blue Devils recently I think have been disliked because of a mixture of success and design elements.... which has been discussed at length even in the past few days. So they get the double whammy of hate, which is why it has become so bad lately.

The bottom line though, there are many haters when you get on top and stay on top. It happened to Cadets in the 80's. It happened to Star in the early 90's.

Star had some jealousy on display in some quarters early on because some resented their money. But on the field most fans loved their early shows. Only a year or two in their later years ( 93 for example ) did the fans in some quarters not respond as well to their shows as they did to other shows from Corps. When Star staff left DCI and went to broadway with their created theatre production " BLAST ", just about all the Drum Corps fans I know loved the show. Star 's staff abandoned much of the stuff they did with DCI in order to win and went traditional Drum Corps with the " BLAST ' production and it became an award winner, and commercial success around the world. I still believe that " BLAST " is still in production after all these years too. ( Star has been gone from DCI competition for almost 20 years now. )

Edited by BRASSO

Was there as much fan criticism of The Cavaliers in the early 00s as there is of BD today or The Cadets (when they have won with shows that were out of the mainstream)? Or did people generally like The Cavaliers when they were dominating?

You can search the RAMD archives for those years on Google Groups. Here's a negative 2001 Cavies thread.

My favorite quote:

Yes yes, I know that these shows would all make more sense if you "saw it" and

heard it rather than just one, but there is a definite BLAH factor for those unfortunate enough to have not seen it.

You know what would have made the show even more enjoyable? Keep the visuals, which everyone so amazingly speaks of, and change the music to something that might be a little more entertaning... Let me rephrase,... Change the music to something that is entertaining to everyone, not just the music snobs who love the little blips and blurbs that drum corps have been playing for the past few years. ( think it started with SCV's "Not the Nutcracker." They would have been better off playing "The Nutcacker"... what a weird show)

Seriously! I'm not smoking crack here! Am I the only one who thinks the 2001 Cavies music (and the '95 SCV's "Not the Nutcracker" for that matter) is weird, boring, and too snobby?

Sounds familiar! Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

You can search the RAMD archives for those years on Google Groups. Here's a negative 2001 Cavies thread.

Don't quote RAMD as a valid sample of opinion however. That site was inhabited by The Fellowship of the Miserable that you would not believe. Some of them had jumped the shark regarding their version of Drum Corps well before the Cavaliers of the early 2000's. Most of them there didn't go to Drum Corps shows. They lived in nursing homes, prisons, and housing shelters, and were typing on borrowed computers using flashlights late at nite.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

The "naysayers" get louder the closer to the top you get!

I believe it was Jeff Gordon, the Nascar driver that might have been quoted (i could be very wrong on this)...that during his time DOMINATING the sport, he was asked about being constantly booed. It was something to the effect "I don't mind being booed, it just means I'm relevant. When they stop making noise, that's when I'll worry".

Of course there is the famous Reggie Jackson quote, "Fans don't boo nobodies"