I've come to the conclusion...

That DCI and it's adjudication system is self serving, assinine, and a huge joke. There is absolutely no way this activity can be judged fairly and I personally think we should do away with the competition aspect of the activity once and for all. Would you still attend a show if there were no scores?

Disagreed, I think the corps are being judged pretty fairly this season. Besides, I think it's the competition that motivates the corps to get better and better over the season. Without the competition, there's less reason to perform better.

That DCI and it's adjudication system is self serving, assinine, and a huge joke. There is absolutely no way this activity can be judged fairly and I personally think we should do away with the competition aspect of the activity once and for all. Would you still attend a show if there were no scores?

Worst idea ever. Competition breeds excellence. Take away the competitive aspect of drum corps, and DCI turns into a bunch of mediocre college marching bands without woodwinds.

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 1

I can assure you if the sheets all of a sudden changed to 90% music and 10% visual, BD would still come out and knock your head off with a killer music book and unbelievable music package, rivaled by few, as would Crown and Cadets.

Oh please, oh please, oh pleeeeeeeeease......:drool:

Love your Oscar avatar, BTW...

Would you pay a few thousand dollars for the privilege of busting your arse at camps/practices, then take busses across the country, sleep on gym floors, etc for the opportunity to do 28-38 exhibitions( not compete ) over a 9 week summer ? Personally,I'd have no interest in doing exhibitions at all.

Bingo!

Oh please, oh please, oh pleeeeeeeeease......:drool:

Love your Oscar avatar, BTW...

yeah, right? That would be awesome.... :thumbup:

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 1

Because DCI preached all off-season that the sheets were changing, and things would be judged differently this year, things were going to change, and still, no one has seen any change at all besides the direction of the judges sheets being different. The people judging are the same, as is their methods of judging and adjudicating

The judging sheet changes had nothing to do with entertaining the audience.

The judging sheet changes had nothing to do with entertaining the audience.

If there was an entertaining the audience caption, I bet BD would come out with a show to would make the babies fly, but they're not. There is no caption for audience entertainment, just general effect. And sometimes effect can be positive or negative, but they're certainly achieving a reaction

• Like 1

If there was an entertaining the audience caption, I bet BD would come out with a show to would make the babies fly, but they're not. There is no caption for audience entertainment, just general effect. And sometimes effect can be positive or negative, but they're certainly achieving a reaction

And then we would miss out on some pretty amazing shows ... like this years BD show. I still don't understand why people want to dumb down drum corps. Shouldn't we applaude people that are willing to take a risk and push the envelope? Who is being hurt by BD's show this year, besides the corps that aren't performing at the same level as them?

BD is NOT winning because their show is unpopular with the masses. They are winning because their execution is remarkable. If you don't want them to win, start praying that your favorite corps gets better.

• Like 2

Jasgre and fsubone: Forgive me, but who said ANYTHING about entertainment on the sheets in this thread? Yeah, nobody.

You are both putting words where they didn't happen.

You are correct. "Audience Engagement", which is now on the sheet, has nothing to do with a positive reaction. You can be engaged by Crown and think "holy crap, this is ridiculous" while being engaged by BD and going, "this show is amazing and wild, what the heck are they doing out there?" Both are valid reactions, and both fit the audience engagement line on the sheet.

Now, if you want a line that says, "this corps makes me want to stand up and throw babies" then you lose the integrity of the sheet and put emotional weight over intellectual. While this appeals to many, its not what DCI judging is, and should be about.

We all have different tastes: some people like Van Gogh and Dali, while others like Renoir and da Vinci. Some like Heminway, while others like Ayn Rand and JRR Tolkien. etc,etc...

The sheets have to cover all aspects of high art performance, from aesthetics to abstract. It would be a disservice to the corps and the DCI community if it changed in this direction. It may not make you or toehrs happy, but it is the most fair we can be for all corps involved.. :smile:

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 2