I've come to the conclusion...

I go and see drum corps now (such as BD and SCV's Family Day) when there is no scoring involved, but I do not think a season full of exhibition shows exclusively would survive. This has always been a competitive activity. I wonder if this threads author would have the same attitude if Phantom was the corps that was undefeated this year? If a spectator is so bothered by the scores, they have an opportunity to leave before the scores are announced.

I've come to the conclusion that it seems as though the 2012 DCI champion will be determined by the judging panel just as much as it will by the corps performance.

Crown goes from 7th in percussion to 1st in under a week??

What is wrong with "high art"? Why should we be discouraging corps that want to be artistic from being artistic? It is this effort to dumb down drum corps that is really discouraging to me. I just don't get it ... sorry.

Are you suggesting that corps are too artistic because of the judging sheet?

Did I say anything was wrong with high art? No.

But do I think a drum corps show is or should be striving for high art? Again , no. You can try if you want, nothing stopping you, but I think this pretentious drive to being high art is not going to bring in the new fans. From my own viewing of FN - BD's high art show gets the golf clap, Phantom, Crown and Madison get the standing "O"s. Where would you rather march? Which would you show your newbie friends if you were trying to turn them on to drum corps?

I think the sheets are rewarding corps that move in that direction. Good for the corps if you can do it, good for the activity? I'm not so sure. You can challenge people to hear new kinds of music performed in a different way, but that doesn't mean we have to turn into a fine arts society for stuffed shirts to dissect while they sip their tea. It's all about balance and I think we've tipped way to far into the artsy.

Devils do what they do very well, but in the end it's banging drums and making fart noises into a bent metal tube while running around a football field. Let's not over-think it.

Edited by Grandpa

I've come to the conclusion that it seems as though the 2012 DCI champion will be determined by the judging panel just as much as it will by the corps performance.

Crown goes from 7th in percussion to 1st in under a week??

And yet ... despite the judging panel ... the overall placements have not changed much at all throughout the season.

The caption scores are always close, and it is a good thing that corps are moving up and down in the caption categories. That shows that the judges are doing their jobs, and not just slotting corps before hand. It shouldn't be a surprise that different corps excel in certain captions on one night and falter on another night.

And yet ... despite the judging panel ... the overall placements have not changed much at all throughout the season.

The caption scores are always close, and it is a good thing that corps are moving up and down in the caption categories. That shows that the judges are doing their jobs, and not just slotting corps before hand. It shouldn't be a surprise that different corps excel in certain captions on one night and falter on another night.

But from 7th to 1st?

And if the individual captions fluctuate so much, shouldn't we be seeing a little more movement placement wise?? Or are the odds of a corps firing on all (or most) cylinders just too #### rare?

Did I say anything was wrong with high art? No.

But do I think a drum corps show is or should be striving for high art? Again , no. You can try if you want, nothing stopping you, but I think this pretentious drive to being high art is not going to bring in the new fans. From my own viewing of FN - BD's high art show gets the golf clap, Phantom, Crown and Madison get the standing "O"s. Where would you rather march? Which would you show your newbie friends if you were trying to turn them on to drum corps?

I think the sheets are rewarding corps that move in that direction. Good for the corps if you can do it, good for the activity? I'm not so sure. You can challenge people to hear new kinds of music performed in a different way, but that doesn't mean we have to turn into a fine arts society for stuffed shirts to dissect while they sip their tea. It's all about balance and I think we've tipped way to far into the artsy.

Devils do what they do very well, but in the end it's banging drums and making fart noises into a bent metal tube while running around a football field. Let's not over-think it.

I guess I just don't care about bringing in new fans at the expense of artistic freedom. Also, I don't buy your premise ... the demographic that DCI should be going after if it wants to expand its fan base is not a bunch of teenagers and young adults. Drum Corps is not going to appeal to that demographic by playing more popular music. If DCI is interested in expanding its fan base, it should go after the demographic of people that already appreciate performing arts. Those people are not going to be attracted to a bunch of drum corps playing hokey Green Day music.

Do you really think young people who aren't already involved in marching band are going to come flocking to drum corps if corps start playing Lady Gaga and Radiohead? Maybe ... but I am skeptical.

• Like 1

But from 7th to 1st?

And if the individual captions fluctuate so much, shouldn't we be seeing a little more movement placement wise?? Or are the odds of a corps firing on all (or most) cylinders just too #### rare?

Well, remember that you are comparing 1st out of 10 to 7th out of 22. Crown was only .7 behind BD last week, and .3 ahead of them tonight. That isn't that big of a difference. Of course different judges are going to read things differently. If you take account for that and assume that Crown's percussion had a good night tonight and a bad night in Atlanta, it really isn't that hard to believe.

I guess I just don't care about bringing in new fans at the expense of artistic freedom. Also, I don't buy your premise ... the demographic that DCI should be going after if it wants to expand its fan base is not a bunch of teenagers and young adults. Drum Corps is not going to appeal to that demographic by playing more popular music. If DCI is interested in expanding its fan base, it should go after the demographic of people that already appreciate performing arts. Those people are not going to be attracted to a bunch of drum corps playing hokey Green Day music.

Do you really think young people who aren't already involved in marching band are going to come flocking to drum corps if corps start playing Lady Gaga and Radiohead? Maybe ... but I am skeptical.

Again - did I say Lady Gaga? Do I look 16 to you? :tongue: Please don't assume you know what I'm thinking because, well, you clearly don't. Fact is I grew up in England with the BBC playing classical music almost exclusively, so I got a taste for "high art" in music at a fairly early age.

But that doesn't mean I think it should be injected into everything just to make us feel superior or educated.

SCV know how to balance audience and artistic better than anyone. They've been doing it since the days of Die Gotterdamerung and are still doing it this year. That's why regardless of placement, they are consistently the class of the field.

• Like 3