I've come to the conclusion...

Thank you. Well, that proves my point then. How is it that corps are dropping or rising a full point in sub-captions, without something dire like that happening mid-show?

The only thing I could see is the corps that drops has a rough run, while the corps that's higher than usual happened to have a really good run in that instance. Who know though. I guess only the judges really do.

Thank you. Well, that proves my point then. How is it that corps are dropping or rising a full point in sub-captions, without something dire like that happening mid-show?

That's what I don't understand. Especially when corps jump like 5 places in a week... is that magic at work?

That's what I don't understand. Especially when corps jump like 5 places in a week... is that magic at work?

Must be magic. Or a judge that hasn't seem them in a long time, and is just blown away by their improvement? I mean, look at Cavies' brass in West Chester. They popped way high, and then dropped hard the next night because of a judging anomaly.

Must be magic. Or a judge that hasn't seem them in a long time, and is just blown away by their improvement? I mean, look at Cavies' brass in West Chester. They popped way high, and then dropped hard the next night because of a judging anomaly.

That's the problem- maybe I didn't notice it before since I was on tour, but it seems like the judges aren't communicating to each other.

I think the following would be interesting:

No scores given for ALL shows until Indy; however, judges are still there at every show to simply provide their feedback for each corps to improve upon.

This way there is much excitement and anticipation for who will ultimately win finals.

AND, here is the big one, DCP will not just implode but somehow, someway explode at the same time, when the results finally come in!

Also, I think leaving scores out until the end will keep people from continuously making new threads about the judging system all the time. Prediction threads will go very mad and hey... no booing--at least until finals!

• Like 1

I guess it's this idea of drum corps being "high art" that started us on the road to taking ourselves way too seriously.

High art doesn't appeal to the masses. Neither, unfortunately, does drum corps. So you have a niche activity trying to narrow its appeal to an even smaller niche audience? From a standpoint of fan support, that's a recepie for disaster.

:worthy:

*snip* Fact is I grew up in England with the BBC playing classical music almost exclusively, so I got a taste for "high art" in music at a fairly early age.

But that doesn't mean I think it should be injected into everything just to make us feel superior or educated.

THANK YOU! This is exactly how I feel. I think it's really ridiculous how seriously some people take this activity and the various "artistic" programs. It's just people marching and playing/spinning on a football field. We all love it still, but it gets taken WAY too seriously by some.

• Like 3

I think the writings of GRANDPA are the wisest on this thread.

For myself, I marched 40 years ago and every year since, COMPETITION becomes LESS important and my memories of entertaining people and the value of ENTERTAINMENT become MORE important.

I think it has something to do with my testosterone levels. :winky:

Would you still attend a show if there were no scores?

I don't attend now, and I don't know anyone who does, but outside of the Oscars, Emmys, Tonys and Grammys and the like, entertainment isn't judged anyway. Then there's the success of Blast and things like flag-throwing pageantry and stand-alone drumlines.

And, hey, without everyone trying so hard to play up to and impress high-priced judges with all that boring, arty Ingmar Bergman-style pseudo-intellectual pablum your writers have been forcing down everyone's throat, the activity could even reverse its long decline.

• Like 1

Yeesh, it took me close to an hour to figure out how to log in here again . . . I read but don't post . . . however . . . after West Chester a bunch of us old farts were puttering around in instant messages when lo and behold someone shot . . . WHY CAN'T WE GET SOMEONE WITH ALL THIS TECHNOLOGY TO SET UP A MEETING SITE INTERNATIONALLY AND HAVE A MEET THE JUDGES NIGHT . . . set up someone on DCP to review pre-screened questions so as not to incite an internet riot . . . and well . . . let's meet the judges . . . hehehehehehehe . . . seriously . . . we have judging questions that it is not so fair to put to the directors of any corps . . . so let's get to the source . . . I too want to meet the judges . . . sorta kinda like "meet the nation" . . . we can yap all we want about what they do or don't do, how they judge or don't judge . . . but until we can ask the source . . . we are spinning our flags . . . what's the worst that can happen . . . a "whoops" question gets asked and accidentally someone trips over a cord causing the feed to go down? hehehehehehehe . . . xo

• Like 1

For myself, I marched 40 years ago and every year since, COMPETITION becomes LESS important and my memories of entertaining people and the value of ENTERTAINMENT become MORE important.

Cool. Just be consistent then. If the scores and placements are now "less important " to you( and others ) then stop complaining about the scores and the placements, you know ? I don't stay for the scores and the placements at local shows anymore. I know what I liked, had my own placements for " entertainment ", so what else do I need since I have no vested financial or participatory interest in any of the Corps ? I don't need the judges to validate for me what I like or didn't like. And they don't need me to validate their scores or placements either. So if I'm on the highway home when the scores and placements are being announced it did not effect my " enjoyment level " of the Corps I watched and listened to one iota. If ( for just one example ) Jersey Surf finished 20th or 1st, or if the Blue Devils finished 20th or 1st, it doesn't effect my opinion of the value of my personal " enjoyment and entertainment " levels of these Corps... or any others... at all. I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out the judging system. So it no longer concerns me. I want to be entertained. If I get that, then the scores and placements are frankly others concerns. The fans that get worked up to a fever pitch on scores and placements will continue to remain frustrated if they try to understand the unknowable, ie DCI judging. So why continue trying to figure it out ? My suggestion ( for what its worth )..is to just go to the shows. Enjoy the Corps. And leave before the scores are announced. The judges have a perfect right not to care for my unskilled evaluations and observations on the Corps in competition. And likewise, I have a perfect right not to care what the judges think and be halfway home in my car with my family and friends when the judges tell the others that DO care about the scores and placements remaining at the show site what the judges thought.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1