I've come to the conclusion...

But the DCI judges are the cream of the crop. Like I said ... judging isn't easy. It is a skill that is developed over time after a lot of practice. Some judges are better than others. You can't just go pick random marching band judges and expect the judging to be the same quality.

They didn't start out that way though. These judges didn't just appear one day in DCI judging Finals, they started out a long time ago, and have built up their skills from there. Who's to say other judges couldn't do the same thing? It kind of seems impossible that these judges can just go forever, without replacement. Corps staffs come and go, corps directors come and go, why don't we see judges come and go?

I always found it strange after 2008 they stopped having the judging tapes on the dvds... I really hope they're not hiding anything...

no..well maybe some...lol..bottom line with that was many corps didnt think it was anyones business what or where their flaws were ..especially another corps

They didn't start out that way though. These judges didn't just appear one day in DCI judging Finals, they started out a long time ago, and have built up their skills from there. Who's to say other judges couldn't do the same thing? It kind of seems impossible that these judges can just go forever, without replacement. Corps staffs come and go, corps directors come and go, why don't we see judges come and go?

If you replace them every five years, how are they ever going to build up the skills to be excellent judges?

The years that I marched, there were some interesting nights and some WTF moments. However, I think they did a good job (for the most part... definitely still some captions that just don't make sense) but this year has just not made sense a lot of the time.

Captions jump 5 places in a night all the time, it seems, which is the biggest indicator that something may be up.

well, youre right new and others can be trained etc etc..BUT also many of the judges who have been around are also in the good ole boys club and support the exsistance of keeping one another relavant..happens in WGI all the time..oh waits its the same people..lol

If you replace them every five years, how are they ever going to build up the skills to be excellent judges?

5 years was just a spit-ball number. Even if it's 10, would that be enough time for the judges to learn and be effective? Could DCI start some kind of apprentice system to train new judges at the judging conference they hold ever year? Maybe get some kind of new blood out there, maybe people who were around when horns had more than two valves, and drill was asymmetrical? (just a joke, no one take it seriously)

well, youre right new and others can be trained etc etc..BUT also many of the judges who have been around are also in the good ole boys club and support the exsistance of keeping one another relavant..happens in WGI all the time..oh waits its the same people..lol

It is? Interesting. I think you're right though about the good ole boys club. That is probably why we don't see crazy changes show to show in a lot of things. No one is going to come out there, and completely trash a corps after their colleague gave them a glowing review the night before, because I think it would lead to a lot of judging conflict, and a lot of pressure to just keep things the way they are.

The years that I marched, there were some interesting nights and some WTF moments. However, I think they did a good job (for the most part... definitely still some captions that just don't make sense) but this year has just not made sense a lot of the time.

Captions jump 5 places in a night all the time, it seems, which is the biggest indicator that something may be up.

I agree. We have corps jumping as much as a point in some sub-captions. That just doesn't happen unless someone falls and dominoes an entire section of the corps, and they never recover. Cadets had a snare go down at Finals in 09, and that screwed up their whole performance, and I think their score only changed like .2

I just don't buy that corps are this inconsistent at this point in the season, we're seeing June-sized swings at the beginning of August.

• Like 1

I agree. We have corps jumping as much as a point in some sub-captions. That just doesn't happen unless someone falls and dominoes an entire section of the corps, and they never recover. Cadets had a snare go down at Finals in 09, and that screwed up their whole performance, and I think their score only changed like .2

I just don't buy that corps are this inconsistent at this point in the season, we're seeing June-sized swings at the beginning of August.

Drum score dropped an entire point and they dropped from 3rd in quarters and semis to 7th in finals.

(Not out to prove you wrong, just love looking at numbers. :ph34r: )

Edited by DrumManTx

Drum score dropped an entire point and they dropped from 3rd in quarters and semis to 7th in finals.

(Not out to prove you wrong, just love looking at numbers. :ph34r: )

Thank you. Well, that proves my point then. How is it that corps are dropping or rising a full point in sub-captions, without something dire like that happening mid-show?

• Like 1