Tough decisions to make

Alright, I know this topic has been made by other people, but here we go anyways.

Next Summer is my age out and I need to decide whether to march or not.I know where I want to march and if I do march,and what instrument I want to audition on.

Now I have, what is to me, 2 serious dilemma to deal with with this one, and I need your opinions on this. I am the music program coordinator at my local YMCA summer camp. This is my 3rd summer doing it, and I have built this program up from essentially nothing. Save for 2 badly worn pianos and some small hand percussion instruments, I provide everything that the music program uses. If I march, I can not do this, and I do not want to see the program that I have built fail, which I fear that it will. Also, more importantly, I have a desire to work for the YMCA as a summer camp director, so me working here and moving up to either a unit director or the assistant camp director, which I would be doing next summer or the summer after would be very beneficial to me in trying to get my dream job. That being said,since I became interested in drum corps I have always wanted to march, but I am aware of the cost effectiveness of doing DCI, which is why I am only considering my age out.

I guess what I am asking is: What should I do?

Comes the impossible questions of

1) What would you be more proud of 10, 20, 30 years from now?

2) In your future life, how much would it drive you nuts not knowing what it would have felt like to march?

3) What would happen to the group and how would it affect yoru career if you don't do the camp?

No way to know for sure but you're probably working this over in your mind anyway.

DCP can offer suggestions or ideas but IMO beware of anyone who tells you "You should do.....".

PS - Any All Age in the area for possible use after your age out?

• Like 1

In my opinion, I think your YMCA gig is too dependent on you and, while you're preparing your chops for tryouts, you should find a person whom you can train to run the program while you're gone. I suspect you'd want the Y program to continue if you got hit by a truck, and I'll be the Y would, too. If you want the benefits of what you're doing to live after you it's time to find a protoge.

What you'll gain in drum corps is different from what you gain running a Y-program, but what you learn in drum corps you'll apply to the Y program to make it better, and you'll likely have the time of your life doing it. The Y will still be there after you age out.

Even if the Y program ends up not as "successful" as it would have had you been there, the tradeoff of growing and learning is worth it, IMO.

I suspect that if you took your situation to the Y leaders they'd help you find someone that you can train between now and next summer.

It's only 3 months - it'll be there when you get back. If you take the time now to find and train someone to fill in.

• Like 6

Comes the impossible questions of

1) What would you be more proud of 10, 20, 30 years from now?

2) In your future life, how much would it drive you nuts not knowing what it would have felt like to march?

3) What would happen to the group and how would it affect yoru career if you don't do the camp?

No way to know for sure but you're probably working this over in your mind anyway.

DCP can offer suggestions or ideas but IMO beware of anyone who tells you "You should do.....".

PS - Any All Age in the area for possible use after your age out?

In response to numbers 1), 2) and 3). I have no idea, Both are things I am extremely passionate about, which is why I am torn.

Unfortunately, being on Cape Cod, the closest all age corps at the moment are Defenders Alumni. Not discounting the alumni corps experience, but I would want to do competitive all age corps, and the closest to me in driving time is Hurricanes or White Sabers

Edited by dasboot

In my opinion, I think your YMCA gig is too dependent on you and, while you're preparing your chops for tryouts, you should find a person whom you can train to run the program while you're gone. I suspect you'd want the Y program to continue if you got hit by a truck, and I'll be the Y would, too. If you want the benefits of what you're doing to live after you it's time to find a protoge.

What you'll gain in drum corps is different from what you gain running a Y-program, but what you learn in drum corps you'll apply to the Y program to make it better, and you'll likely have the time of your life doing it. The Y will still be there after you age out.

Even if the Y program ends up not as "successful" as it would have had you been there, the tradeoff of growing and learning is worth it, IMO.

I suspect that if you took your situation to the Y leaders they'd help you find someone that you can train between now and next summer.

It's only 3 months - it'll be there when you get back. If you take the time now to find and train someone to fill in.

I understand what you are saying. I need to find a protege to take over the program for me, which is something I am talking about with my boss.

Edited by dasboot

I understand what you are saying. I need to find a protege to take over the program for me, which is something I am talking about with my boss. But that in and of itself is another issue. Contracts aren't given out for the summer until April, and I don't know who returning staff will be. So I can't train someone for my job, until I know they will be working for the Y that year

unfortunately YOU are the only one to answer this...there are so many times I wish I didnt do drum corps to the end....funny Im saying that because afet marching many years , decades later Im still teaching...lol...for me it was a family thing, parents , uncles, grandparents , all were in so I didnt have much of s choice.....lol...BUT I think back of some of the things I did miss out on and I still say WHAT IF . its kind of human nature though.......asking here is one thing BUT just remember people have Bias and its easy to tell others what to do with their life.

Best I can say is if the summer job defines what you want long into the future then dont do drum corps or seek out a DCA thing later to fill the void. If the summer thing is just that....a summer thing...then go for it and audition..........and be prepared financially

I was in a similar situation years ago. I can say this, what I thought was a big deal then, I realize now it really wasn't. Corps is a limited time experience, one that can't be missed. I have a feeling if you end up doing corps, you might look back in ten years and see that expanding your horizons was the right choice. I'm not saying your kids program isn't important, I'm just thinking how much more you might do with the programs after having been exposed to corps.

Edited by jonnyboy

This is most certainly an old situation that occurs in a number of activities. There is a finite number of years that you can participate and when other opportunities come up, you often face gut wrenching decisions like yours.

I understand what, the always wise, Garfield is suggesting but that puts your future in other's hands. The real questions you need to ask yourself are:

1) Have I already achieved my goals as a MM?

2) Have I gained the quality of the DC experience?

3) Would my age out year permit me to take on a leadership role or SOP opportunity in my corps? .....and/or

3) Is it now about one more summer of fun and comradery (which by itself is a very good thing)?

Most former MM's (of which I am not...and for which reason I really don't have a vote) would always suggest to march age-out. They'd also suggest that there are no do-overs with this decision. But it must be noted that this is an arbitrary timeline set in place years ago more or less in keeping with college graduation and as a means of flushing the ranks and most importantly allowing new MM's and therefore, expanded interest and fan base in the activity.

There have been several threads over the years titled: "I should have marched age out!"........I would love to see one titled: "I shouldn't have marched age out!" Because there are many implications that result for both.

In the end, let your gut be your guide.

Garfield is wise, I think you should follow his advice, while not necessarily committing to being unavailable next summer--DCI might not work out for any number of reasons after all. But he's right that this would be an invaluable learning experience for you in further developing this program. And if it does fall apart while you're gone, you'll still be positioned to start an even better program to replace it at this Y or elsewhere.

Above all, there are a lot of unknowns here, and you're still very young. Keep open to new opportunities, and be flexible as things change. This is an important decision, but it's not the most important decision you'll ever make. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose. Just don't let yourself second-guess your decision in the future. Whatever happens next summer, commit yourself to enjoying it and doing the best you can, and you'll be happy with the path you ended up on. :thumbup:

I think you should march DCI.

And I think marching DCI will help you achieve your goals at the YMCA.

1. Someone else can run the day-to-day operations of the camp. I know it might be hard for you to accept (we all like to feel irreplaceable), but there are lots of talented people, and there is someone else that can do the job that you are now doing.

2. Marching will add to your musical experience, which is good if you want to work in the music education area

3. Diversified experience will allow you to bring more to the job when you return. In some professions, to advance beyond a certain level, you are forced to go "somewhere else" for a year or two or three to gain outside experiences and new perspectives.

4. There is no reason you can't stay in touch with the people at work, work together to keep your program going, and come back the next summer (or summer after) and get your promotion on the same schedule you listed in the OP.