Improving and Maintaining DCI Orlando

Given the demise of Florida's last remaining World Class corps, and the unavoidable negativity it will create in an already struggling DCI Market, I was wondering what DCP thinks can and/or should be done in order to preserve a DCI World Class presence in the state of Florida. As corps fold, few scholastic programs have the resources to step up the way we see in places like Indiana and Texas, and what was once a drum corps cultural touchstone seems to steadily wane in its influence, relevance, and quality.

How can we help DCI in Florida? What corps should consider satellite auditions, and perhaps even camps, in Florida (as others have done with great success in the past) that will provide Floridian talent with the unparalleled lifetime experience that is World Class drum and bugle corps? I would greatly appreciate any PMs on the topic as I plan on being quite active in the Tampa Bay community to promote DCI's influence.

Big picture food for thought in finals week. Hope you've all got the intellectual room amidst the excitement :)

How many of the 48 states have drum corps?

I realize that "losing" Florida is painful, but is it worth any more effort than, say, Wyoming or New Mexico?

Your suggestion of remote camps is usually not intended to birth corps in a state as much as it is to pilfer the talent for a corps in another state.

Should DCI do anything to save Florida's drum corps scene? No. They should focus their efforts on bringing the existing corps together in harmony (such as it can be called) and developing a plan to prevent the activity's demise and grow the national fan base.

Don't do it.

Drum corps is POISON in Florida -- especially Pinellas and Hillsborough counties. There's a reason that corps haven't been able to use school board facilities in these counties for 25 years.

There's a reason all of the corps that start in Florida end up failing.

Just let it ride.

• Like 1

How many of the 48 states have drum corps?

I realize that "losing" Florida is painful, but is it worth any more effort than, say, Wyoming or New Mexico?

Your suggestion of remote camps is usually not intended to birth corps in a state as much as it is to pilfer the talent for a corps in another state.

Should DCI do anything to save Florida's drum corps scene? No. They should focus their efforts on bringing the existing corps together in harmony (such as it can be called) and developing a plan to prevent the activity's demise and grow the national fan base.

"Pilfer" is an interesting choice of words, but I believe that talent recruited with the right priorities in the right places is key to the development and survival of the activity. I wonder if anyone used the term when corps started holding satellite operations in Texas.

DCI's main access point remains through membership. Sure, maybe we need a 50-state plan, but doesn't it make sense to work in a major population market with a history of providing for the activity? Doesn't Florida have a beneficial role to play in DCI other that withering away?

"Pilfer" is an interesting choice of words, but I believe that talent recruited with the right priorities in the right places is key to the development and survival of the activity. I wonder if anyone used the term when corps started holding satellite operations in Texas.

DCI's main access point remains through membership. Sure, maybe we need a 50-state plan, but doesn't it make sense to work in a major population market with a history of providing for the activity? Doesn't Florida have a beneficial role to play in DCI other that withering away?

I'd sure like for you to expound on this thought. What "...history of providing..." are you referring to that's even as impactful as the midwest, the coasts, or Texas?

No, DCI getting distracted from a national, over-all plan to solvency and growth would be just that, a distraction from the bigger problems that DCI needs to address.

Don't do it.

Drum corps is POISON in Florida -- especially Pinellas and Hillsborough counties. There's a reason that corps haven't been able to use school board facilities in these counties for 25 years.

There's a reason all of the corps that start in Florida end up failing.

Just let it ride.

100% this. I remember Orlando being extremely out of the way, and gaining exactly two hours of rehearsal time due to rain. Most rehearsing was done indoors for that time. Sorry for the audiences down there, but between the atrocious field and rain time, it was a waste of a trip and show.

Not sure if anything can be done! Nothing was done in NY, a state that had tons of corps. Once The Patriots disbanded...that was that (junior-wise)! Not sure if Florida can be a drum corps state but...you never know. BTW Pinellas and Hillsborough counties still have Tampa Bay Thunder and although they are DCA...they seem to be doing well membership-wise.

I was wondering what DCP thinks can and/or should be done in order to preserve a DCI World Class presence in the state of Florida.

The state of New York doesn't have a World Class Division Corps either. The state of Florida is by no means unique in no longer having World Class Division Corps any longer from their state. Its sad to see so many states that once had dozens of Drum Corps, but no longer have Corps in these states. Florida is but one state of many in this regard now regrettably.

Edited by BRASSO