Free Prelims stream

I loved Legends' show because I'm from Cleveland. LOL.

Huh? What's Cleveland have to do with it? Lake Erie?

Almost all of the lives lost in the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgrerald were from the Cleveland area. Especially Bay Village. The ship was returning to Cleveland. It merely sank in Lake Superior near Detroit, which is why that is where the bell is housed, and the ceremony is performed each year.

OMG, I totally forgot that. My bad. Sorry!

It's fine. If I counted right, they played the bell in their show for every life lost in the wreck.

Correct. And the almost exactly 20-pt. drop doesn't seem justified. I put Legends and Music City right with Pioneer.

Minor corrections: Detroit is some 300 miles away from Lake Superior. Fitzgerald memorials happen in Detroit because that's where the Mariner's Church is located. Two relevant lines from the Gordon Lightfoot song:

"As the big freighters go, it was bigger than most with a crew and good captain well seasoned / concluding some terms with a couple of steel firms when they left fully loaded for Cleveland."

(Actually, according to this page, the ship was headed for Detroit, though it would later have traveled to company headquarters in Cleveland.)

"In a musty old hall in Detroit, they prayed in the Maritime Sailors' Cathedral. / The church bell chimed 'til it rang 29 times for each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald."

(I counted the bell peals at Open Class Finals and got 30! Must have lost count. Note that the ship's bell is the only item that was raised from the wreck.)

Let's go band corps! Those drum and bugle bands are GREAT!

Oh, Star Trek by 7th Regiment. Nice.

Yes, opening quotes from Star Trek's Borg ... and George W. Bush! (At least at Open Class Finals.) Not sure what to make of that! And probably any speculations will run afoul of board policies.

Totally agreed with comments so far of Open groups from Raiders on up knocking off Pio. When watching Raiders I though, I haven't seen a Pioneer corps this good in years. The drop in scores doesn't seem entirely honest and is merely a way to ensure the gaps don't close too quickly and we end up with the top 5 scoring over 100.

I thought the new sheets were suppose to eliminate the 20pt drop?

I do agree that from Raiders up should be over Pioneer and probably Gold on up to be even higher.

I truly do not think up to Legends will be within 7 pts of Pioneer.

I think Pioneer will be either just above or just below Spartans. I would be shocked if the judges let a World Class corps fall below that.

I want to congratulate all the corps that performed today on a job well done. All of you deserve major kudos for representing Open Class as well as you have today. A major step up from last year.

Let's go band corps! Those drum and bugle bands are GREAT!

At O.C. Finals, I sat next to parents of a BDB member whose first question was, "Which band are you here to see?"

• Like 2

Is there something missing from Spartan's pit? Or just cleverly disguised....my eyes (and ears) must be deceiving me...

That's another thing that bugs the hell out of me- people don't think to eat before the show? Think of how many great places to eat must be downtown- places of all budgets. I cant tell you how many times (even at TOC shows) where people missed a show or two because they wanted overpriced nachos or corn dogs.

It was so slow that they were giving discounts to.people