BD - What to Look For?

but I just would like to know how that's judged!

I don't have the current DCI sheets in front of me, but if you have ever seen any judging sheets it's really not difficult to understand why Blue Devils are dominating currently.

Their shows are designed in a way that is effective and challenging, as is their music. They are performing incredibly well in all captions (which make up a large chunk of the sheets), and they are portraying their idea effectively.

For an internet forum that is full with so many people who participated in DCI, it never ceases to blow my mind when people clearly demonstrate they don't know how judging to the sheets works

• Like 2

I don't have the current DCI sheets in front of me, but if you have ever seen any judging sheets it's really not difficult to understand why Blue Devils are dominating currently.

Their shows are designed in a way that is effective and challenging, as is their music. They are performing incredibly well in all captions (which make up a large chunk of the sheets), and they are portraying their idea effectively.

For an internet forum that is full with so many people who participated in DCI, it never ceases to blow my mind when people clearly demonstrate they don't know how judging to the sheets works

I'll be the first to be honest and say I never really had the chance to participate in DCI. So if you ever catch me talking about judging as if I think I know what I'm talking about, please smack me.

112121111111111111222211111119.7019.6019.6519.7019.5019.6039.259.809.7019.5010.009.9019.909.809.6019.4029.409.609.6019.209.609.7019.309.809.5019.3028.90097.5500.0097.550

Read more: http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?event_id=5f186909-1ed4-4a7f-bd47-02ef4a2f18fd#ixzz237Fqinyw

• Like 2

Oh, well sorry for being such an idiot then.

Leave it to a know it all to answer a question as vaguely as you have. And do even acknowledge the sense of opinion inherent in those categories? That is what I am after. How judges form those opinions on portraying ideas effectively, ideas of cleanliness and demand. Don't be a smart ###. Releasing judges tapes is the only thing that can help answer my question.

• Like 1

One thing not to forget, though? Audiences' opinions change. There isn't any such thing as a finite, singular "audience" that continues to agree with itself throughout time. That's history for you.

Melville died poor and practically unknown. 0 people read Moby Dick when it first came out in the 1850s. Now it's a cultural staple and everyone knows Melville's name. Meanwhile, few of us could name offhand the most popular authors of Melville's time.

Audiences change. I think when we try to decry or defend how "the audience" feels about something, we need to keep in mind that we're talking about a very dynamic thing. That's true of the performing arts as with everything else.

Actually the phrase " a classic " is understood by just about everyone. A " classic " by definition appeals to a wide cross section of people ( educated, non educated, young, old, US or China, etc ) and is what we call timeless. In other words we can play it, show it, sing it, dance it, and it will swtill be relevant and still loved by a wide audience even today. For example the movie " Casablanca " never gets dated, even though everyone in the movie is deceased and the movie is in black and white. Its timeless today as the day it opened. " Brahm's Lullaby " is a " Classic " as our Grandmothers heard it played for them, just as Parents play it for children today. It never gets dated. It probably never will. The same with Handel's " Hallelujah Chorus ", despite the fact it was written in 1741. They call " Classsical Music " " classic " for a reason. 200 years or more go by and its as fresh today as it was back over 200 years ago. Fast forward from today, and in the " Pop Classics " category " The Beatles Album " Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band " will probably still be relevant then as it was in the late 60's... and " Its a Wonderful Life " and " The Wizard of Oz "... and " Gone with the Wind " have not faded yet with the young even after their movie releases were over 70 years ago. So something that is truly " great " cuts across all diverse groups of people over years and years of time. True " greatness " is really only reserved for the very few performances that are no only loved universally today, but will loved a few hundred years from now just as Pachelbel's Canon in D Major has been by wide and diverse audiences, some that don't particularly care for this type of music, but were instantly taken in by it because of its genius of writing and its ability to connect with wide audiences. Aaudiences come and go. They all die in time. We all do. Tastes in music and shows change just as you said. But a " Classic " ? A " classic " lives on forever. Time stands still for the " Classic ".

Edited by BRASSO

Without even knowing Dada, try to watch the show as more of a piece of modern/interpretive art, instead of just another drum corps show. You can't look at it's shell and try to connect with it. You must try to let it effect you.

I guess that's a way of putting it?