BD - What to Look For?

I'd say the show isn't dada but rather a modern interpretation of the dada movement.

POST-DADAISM? OH GOD BD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

As the art nerd that I am, I approve.

Dada is loosely like Urban Dictionary. UD is words only, however, the Dada movement early in the 1900's had mind music poetry without the internet. BD 2012 is fun and intriguing (imo) :)

edit for spelling; changed one letter

Edited by lindap

If Devils were actually trying to be Dadaist this year, they'd be making fun of the idea of drum corps' value of 'clean' by being as absolutely ridiculously filthy as they possibly could.

They are definitely making fun of drum corps 'clean' - they obviously designed a lot of individualistic movement that can't really be "clean" or "dirty" in a traditional sense, just "well portrayed" or "less well portrayed". I think the place to find enjoyment in the show is to watch the individual members, how they achieve "well portrayed", and how the sum of those actions creates a cool ensemble effect. Or more generally, in the excellence of the performers in almost every instance.

In terms of the content, you'll have to ask someone else. I still think it's a ridiculous choice of program for a marching band show.

• Like 3

The whole idea of music, theatre, is that communication is made by the performer(s) to the audience without the spoken word.. theatre, music is not a classrom, not a seminar, nor a lecture. Music is called " the great communicator " for a reason. Music, dance, etc is not meant to make you confused... agitation for example is one of the legitimate emotions a performer can emit to an audience by design. Confusion however is not a legitimate emotion to convey to an audience ( no matter what anybody tells you ) If you have to be TOLD what to appreciate in a show of music and dance, then the fault for this lies not with you ( no matter what anybody tells you ). If a performance fails to reach an audience, despite the talent of the performers, it is not the audience fault ( no matter what anybody tells you ). In the Performing Arts, the audience is the ultimate judge of what is good or bad, or something in between..... not the show producers. In this case it is different as 10 selected people have been designated to determine what is good, bad, or something in between. But at the end of the day, the audience still has a personal say in the matter, as they don't give up their right to determine for themselves what they personally like or don't like in music, dance, or theatre, or movies, art, etc to any other human being.

• Like 1

I'll definitely agree to your second point.

I think first and foremost, a drum corps show is supposed to entertain the masses, not mainly the alumni of the group with some other here and there.

But that's just my opinion. Wasn't too upset that I had to miss the theatre tonight, except I didn't get to see Bones show this year.

The Allentown crowd loved Devils. Heck, for once they loved almost everyone.

• Like 1

Let me first start by saying in no way is this meant to be another bash BD thread - I've read them all, and am not trying to rehash those, so please keep that in mind.

I've seen BD's show twice now - once live, and once in the theater tonight. I'm in no way a stranger to the activity. I have a marching background, a music background (gig on the side to this day), have been a fan of the marching arts for a long time, and been to Finals every year since 1989.

With all of that out of the way, I know the people who like BD's show this year tend to say that it is a brilliant design and is performed probably even more brilliantly - I can't say that I see it that way. Do I think it's really good - yes, but while I get the show concept, I still don't see what the others who like it are saying, and I want to understand.

I have one more shot at this on Sat. at Finals (before turning to recordings). What do I need to look for to see why BD's design and performance are so brilliant? Again, I just want to understand and know what to look for on Saturday.

Thats still not abstract.

Abstract is more "I don't know what I'm looking at at all" or "I kind of think that looks like something distinguishable"

Right. And if you look at a toilet and believe it's a water fountain, or if calling one the other makes you realize how scarily similar they are and totally messes up what you thought of each, then indeed you don't really know what you're looking at; or, at least, that's how it's supposed to feel. That's as abstract as it gets, IMO.

It's not abstract at all. It's very concrete - and all about telling the viewer that everything they treasure when it comes to art, society, and religion can be turned into total nonsense with the simple flick of a wrist.

If Devils were actually trying to be Dadaist this year, they'd be making fun of the idea of drum corps' value of 'clean' by being as absolutely ridiculously filthy as they possibly could.

The thing is...they DID purposely do things that kind of threw being filthy in the audience's face...I saw one guard "miss" a rifle toss. It had to have been planned.

But that gets close to why I really like BD's show. Every time I see it, I see new, absurd and chaotic stuff mixed up with very well executed "drum corps" elements. But it's also obviously and perfectly controlled. The combination of chaos and order in this show is immensely appealing to me.

• Like 3