Are the Cavies a victim of slotting?

I can't help but wonder if the Cavies would be placing in the Top 4 right now if they had started the season with most of their show done like they did last year. I am obviously not an expert, but I watched the show tonight it didn't look that much different than other Cavies' shows from the last 3 or 4 years. Is the Cavies performance level really that much different than it has been the last few years? I admit there were a couple muddy spots in the music, put I could also point to dirty parts in almost every other show as well.

With that said, I don't know who I would put the Cavies above this year. The Top 6 are all phenomenal this year. I just think the Cavies have ended the season belonging in the same conversation with the Top 6, and I suspect that if they had started the season higher they would probably have been placing somewhere around 3rd or 4th this year.

Am I completely off base? Are they making mistakes that I am not seeing? I am actually liking the show design much more than I did even a few weeks ago. I am a little surprised that they are so close to Boston in score. I love Boston (in fact, I like Boston's show better than the Cavies'), but they look a lot more sloppy than the Cavies to me.

• Like 2

I don't think cavies performed at a level that could have compared to the other 6 above them, they were just too strong imo. When Michael Gaines retired, there were huge shoes to fill.

Edited by TimbreDeBrass
  • Like 3

I don't think it's slotting. The show unfortunately feels like a jumbled unfocused mess. No matter how well they might execute it it's just not a well put together show and doesn't hold a candle to the shows that they've won with.

No, the Cavies are the victim of a poorly designed show. (As far as Cavie standards are concerned)

And to be fair, they're also the 'victim' of sub-Top 6 execution as well.

Also, as previously stated, this year's Top 6 are WELL above Cavaliers and the other 'bottom 6' corps from both a design and execution stand-point

• Like 3

I don't think cavies performed at a level that could have compared to the other 6 above them, they were just too strong. Believe it or not, I believe the reason they have been placing so high in the past couple years is because of slotting. There seems to be something missing from that corps after the start of this new decade, they just don't compare to the high precision and execution the early 2000's cavies had.

Mad World was definitely not slotting. They were in a solid 2nd place by the end.

And to be fair, they're also the 'victim' of sub-Top 6 execution as well.

Also, as previously stated, this year's Top 6 are WELL above Cavaliers and the other 'bottom 6' corps from both a design and execution stand-point

Can you point to something specific? I just don't see it. I see a lot more flaws in Boston's show that I am not seeing in the Cavies' show. Maybe they just do a better job of hiding them.

I'm not sure if the corps as a whole is a victim of slotting. but....I think the drumline is falling victim to it. That is not a 7th place drumline. The guard was really solid tonight. I would've put the score around 90.25. Think they were scored low. Will be interesting to see what a different panel thinks tomorrow night.

Boston was a lot more dirty tonite. Sorry...its true. Good show...I think it comes across better on camera. Live I wasn't as impressed.

• Like 1