An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

As a relatively new fan (this is the first year I subscribed to the Fan Network for the full season ... though I have followed DCI off and on for the last 15 years), I couldn't disagree more. I have come away an even bigger fan than I was before and can't wait to see what BD (and the rest of the corps) do next. I know I am just one person, but I thought I would add my perspective. I find the concerns about turning off new fans baffling. I don't think it is new fans that people should be worried about. Apparently old fans that can't let go of the past are having a much harder time seeing how great drum corps was this year.

Maybe so, but Drum Corps has been adding new fans in all of its various incarnations. The question is how many old fans they may lose in the process. It's easier to fill buckets that have no holes than buckets with growing leaks. Look at the poll attached to this letter. Can DCI replace the 10% or so who are leaving? What about the other 30% or so who don't like the current direction, but are sticking around in hopes that it changes? If things continue in the same way, can DCI survive losing 40% of its fan base? I think that's a tall order in great financial times, much less today.

This poll is unscientific, and only represents a small part of drum corps planet. Still, surely this is enough to say that DCI should be very careful going forward and do some honest market research about their future.

Edited by JulesBry

Flawless?

Scatter dills used to get HAMMERED by the judges when I marched.

So did follow the leader drill.

How did that somehow become "flawless" show design?

Back when the Cadets revolutionized asymmetrical drill, and people went nuts over it. One specific moment I am thinking of is Cadets 1987. The company front that dissolved and re-evolved back into the company front.

Edited by kaseyW

You don't have to think that, because there is no evidence to support that assertion at all. You choose to think that because it bolsters your argument.

Guilty as charged. It's just my opinion, but it's also a gut feeling. Again, the uniformity of scores by various judges strikes me as improbable at best.

To clarify something - I am not a BD honk, but I do support them. Their show isn't my favorite, but I do see why they are getting so much appraisal.

They do have the best show in DCI. From top to bottom it is flawless. Their individual achievement of the brass, percussion, guard, and visual books are out of this world. How can you not agree that you don't see personal commitment in the faces of every performer? This is 1st place we're talking about. I'm sure the judges would all LOVE to put Crown first, but they can't reward them for something they're not doing when the other corps is. Both design packages are equally first place quality, but BD is hitting everything top to bottom, clean as heck.

I'll give you that BD should be tops in execution, but you and I have a severe difference of opinion on the design. Are you telling me that absolutely every judge in DCI believes that BD is the best designed show off the year? Knowing what kind of disagreements there are here and in other places, doesn't that uniformity strike you as artificial in some way?

• Like 2

This went from a design problem thread, to a DCI marketability and financial issue.

The reason why there are fewer corps/shows isn't because of show design.

:offtopic:

Actually, as the OP, I think they are both deeply intertwined, and I had hoped that my initial post highlighted that. Apparently, I wasn't clear enough, though.

• Like 1

Actually, as the OP, I think they are both deeply intertwined, and I had hoped that my initial post highlighted that. Apparently, I wasn't clear enough, though.

Just as I have said. The BD rant has overshadowed a lot of this conversation.

Back when the Cadets revolutionized asymmetrical drill, and people went nuts over it. One specific moment I am thinking of is Cadets 1987. The company front that dissolved and re-evolved back into the company front.

Did you know that by virtue of the fact they had to be from the endzone Off The Line drills used to be all asymetrical? Total drill symmetry didn't occur until they changed the rules so the OTL and Exit didn't have to be in opposite endzones.

But besides that, 27 actually brought back asymmetry in the mid 70's.

SCV made it popular in 1980, by '87 it was old hat again. Zingali drill just made it move like never before.

What's funny to see is that the drill move that seems get the most applause these days is the good old fashioned company front.

Total 'dino' move.

A good one always gets the crowd to their feet.

A good one always gets the crowd to their feet.

It's like corps have the force.

You are the one who is afraid to give "the man in the stands" a vote. Take the judging away from the nitwits in the box and on the field and let my people decide the winner with the use of their Smartphones®. But you said, "Oh no. We've got to protect our phony, baloney jobs!" or something like that. Or was that all a dream I had . . . :unsure::dozingoff:

you bet I dont want the stands deciding...what makes you think you have the ability to do this...you dont....websters defination of Spectator is...one who watches, observes........so take a seat...sad part is you think you GET the activity and you couldnt be more out of touch with kids, their needs and progression.......sure not everything is good BUT neither was it BITD...I have every right to make that assesment from BITD because thats when I marched also...and as I remember there were the nit wits as you call them BITD also..in fact there more more nit wits back then then today , difference is they werent questioned back then, which made it worse

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1