An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

Dear DCI,

~snipped to save space~

Sincerely,

Julian Bryson

So...you are a dino and you are leaving because you don't like the direction DCI has gone. Fair enough. To each his own.

But I'd like to express myself as a brand new DCI fan.

First, a little background. I've followed high school marching bands in Colorado since my son entered high school in 2007. This is my first year experiencing drum corps because this is my son's rookie year with Blue Knights.

I realize there are distinct differences between marching bands and drum corps...especially from a historical perspective. I also think some of those differences are disappearing. I've seen a lot of similarities between the two. Especially in the realm of electronics. I don't share your dissatisfaction with these new directions and, frankly, I like innovation. I like to see risks being taken with design and performance. I especially like to see the kids and their teachers rise to the challenge of pulling off successful, entertaining shows using new elements.

I have enjoyed watching every single corps...from the Blue Saints to the Blue Devils. I recognize, appreciate and applaud the talent, dedication, hard work and sheer determination that each corps and member have exhibited.

Now, I don't know if my son will continue to march. That's his decision to make. But as a brand new drum corps fan, I can assure you that I will continue to follow, support, spend money on and watch drum corps as long as I am physically, mentally and financially able.

Mr.Bryson, I wish you could look past the changes that this activity, that you've loved, is experiencing and find a way to continue to support drum corps...if only to help it continue to do so much good for the young men and women who benefit from their drum corps experiences.

• Like 5

I'd be happy if even a few judges agreed with me. They don't all have to reflect my opinion. I just can't believe that every judge in every competition believes that BD has the best show in DCI this year. Unanimously? Really? I'm sorry, but that isn't my idea of a diversity of opinions.

why wouldnt you belive it....its only a few people..as much as you woulnt believe it here on DCP which is a fraction of the activity, you would find just as many who agree or diagree in the stands...... we all cant have the outcomes that we want, then call foul because it didnt go to the side of what we THINK is the right side

I went to a show where the Cavies followed the Colts. I remarked afterwards that the Cavies got a standing ovation because they're the Cavies (people stood up after the last note because it was protocol. The Colts got a standing ovation because people couldn't stay in their seats (people were standing and cheering well before the last note began, much less finished). This is the difference between the trend I see and trend I want to see. The latter is what will maintain and grow an audience.

Dear Learned Ones,

Why is this so difficult for you to understand? Don't you want to grow?

That is what the OP is asking you. He doesn't want to be a member of a club that doesn't want to grow.

It is not fun.

• Like 1

I've thought about that a lot, too, and I don't know if I have a good answer. I suppose the best I can say is that I've tried to do that for the past several years, but now, I'm just tired of weeding through so many uninteresting shows to see the good ones. I tried to do it again this year, but I just couldn't stay interested. You can't change what excites you. If I could, I'd be glad to stick around.

Maybe I'll be at the fence next summer, but right now, I don't see that happening.

I was exactly where you are at the end of 05, my friend. DCI did not get a penny out of me for the next 6 years.

Last year we went to Allentown and generally had a blast. Crown was a big part of the turnaround for me.

Last night I had more fun watching the lower placed corps than I did with some of the higher placed corps. I started watching the show late and frankly fast forwarded through 3-4 finalists.

But it's corps like Oregon, BDB, SCVC, Surf and this year once again my beloved SCV that will keep me hanging on a little longer. But I am no longer a guaranteed fan. If there is much more of the electronic mess and constant voice overs - I'll be taking another vacation for all the reasonse you cite.

• Like 5

why wouldnt you belive it....its only a few people..as much as you woulnt believe it here on DCP which is a fraction of the activity, you would find just as many who agree or diagree in the stands...... we all cant have the outcomes that we want, then call foul because it didnt go to the side of what we THINK is the right side

You are the one who is afraid to give "the man in the stands" a vote. Take the judging away from the nitwits in the box and on the field and let my people decide the winner with the use of their Smartphones®. But you said, "Oh no. We've got to protect our phony, baloney jobs!" or something like that. Or was that all a dream I had . . . :unsure::dozingoff:

• Like 1

So...you are a dino and you are leaving because you don't like the direction DCI has gone. Fair enough. To each his own.

But I'd like to express myself as a brand new DCI fan.

Now, I don't know if my son will continue to march. That's his decision to make. But as a brand new drum corps fan, I can assure you that I will continue to follow, support, spend money on and watch drum corps as long as I am physically, mentally and financially able.

Mr.Bryson, I wish you could look past the changes that this activity, that you've loved, is experiencing and find a way to continue to support drum corps...if only to help it continue to do so much good for the young men and women who benefit from their drum corps experiences.

Thanks for a well written and heartfelt view of the other side. For the many wonderful performers involved, I hope there are millions more people exactly like you. I fear that there are not. I also wish you could experience some of the great performances of the past twenty years or so to compare what DCI has been compared to what they are and where they are going. I think if you could, you would see how DCI could be even better than what you've seen (imagine that possibility).

Again, I wish you and your son great success. Hopefully, I'll be able to love and enjoy future shows again. Just not this year.

You are the one who is afraid to give "the man in the stands" a vote. Take the judging away from the nitwits in the box and on the field and let my people decide the winner with the use of their Smartphones®. But you said, "Oh no. We've got to protect our phony, baloney jobs!" or something like that. Or was that all a dream I had . . . :unsure::dozingoff:

There is a need for knowledgeable judges--people who understand the detailed complexities of what it takes to perform drum corps. I'm not opposed to judging in general, but I am opposed to lockstep judges whose opinions never vary and whose minds never change.

Giving the audience are share of the judging, though, isn't a bad idea to me. Perhaps they should give the general effect score.

As a relatively new fan (this is the first year I subscribed to the Fan Network for the full season ... though I have followed DCI off and on for the last 15 years), I couldn't disagree more. I have come away an even bigger fan than I was before and can't wait to see what BD (and the rest of the corps) do next. I know I am just one person, but I thought I would add my perspective. I find the concerns about turning off new fans baffling. I don't think it is new fans that people should be worried about. Apparently old fans that can't let go of the past are having a much harder time seeing how great drum corps was this year.

Edited by jasgre2000

I also think some of those differences are disappearing.

My first drum corps show was in 1975.

If you could teleport yourself back in time to the stands in Whitewater that year,

I think you would completely understand why we uber-geezers are lamenting the loss of those differences.

The biggest difference now is that there is NO hornline that can "rip your face off" and cause a complete

visceral reaction which almost throws you out of your seat screaming "YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!"

I love my brother Scouts, but even they are ho-hum in comparison.

Drum corps was the ONLY PLACE I COULD GET THAT.

PERIOD.

And now it's gone, probably never to return.

It makes me so sad that I will not support the activity any more, because the people who did that

to me and the rest of us "dinos" are still running things and I'll be darned if they will get one more dollar from me.

If BD were tied with the Cavies, I doubt I would be leaving, because I would see it as a just reward for a poorly designed show. In fact, if they had finished even a few shows in seventh place, I wouldn't be leaving (yet), because I would see that there are people in DCI who share my opinion, and that would give me hope that things might turn around. As it is, I see the trends, and I don't care to see where things end up.

To answer your question, here are the shows that I most enjoyed this year in order of their current standing.

2 Carolina Crown 97.450

5 Santa Clara Vanguard 93.700

9 Madison Scouts 88.800

11 Spirit of Atlanta 85.650

12 Crossmen 84.900

15 The Academy 81.900

17 Colts 79.200

20 Jersey Surf 75.450

23 Mandarins 71.600

Notice that most of the shows I liked were panned by the judges. I don't debate that these corps' execution levels are not as high as the top tier corps, Ibut I have to think that their more traditional programs may also play a role.

I went to a show where the Cavies followed the Colts. I remarked afterwards that the Cavies got a standing ovation because they're the Cavies (people stood up after the last note because it was protocol. The Colts got a standing ovation because people couldn't stay in their seats (people were standing and cheering well before the last note began, much less finished). This is the difference between the trend I see and trend I want to see. The latter is what will maintain and grow an audience.

You don't have to think that, because there is no evidence to support that assertion at all. You choose to think that because it bolsters your argument.