2012 Drum Corps International World Class Championships

Crooked lines, here you go my friend, crooked as a dogs hind leg:

208398_10151171996275185_724950779_n.jpg

Notice that I added a straight line to show what a straight line should be.

Hey, guess what, I can find a single shot of dirt, too!

sWPSF.png

Also, how incredibly condescending of you to assume that I don't know what a straight line is. thumbdown.gif

• Like 4

sWPSF.png

Also, how incredibly condescending of you to assume that I don't know what a straight line is. thumbdown.gif

The difference in your post is Crown is not marching a 16 to 5 at 120 bpm.

Sorry. Truth.

• Like 7

The difference in your post is Crown is not marching a 16 to 5 at 120 bpm.

Sorry. Truth.

Well, if Crown can't get flying around the field at 190 as clean as BD doing what they do, then Crown gets 2nd. Also, 6th place drumline - I don't know of any corps that has won recently with captions placing that low...but I imagine that it certainly doesn't help your chances. Look, if you want to try and win with a show that difficult, go for it...but a product of such high difficulty requires insane cleanliness if there's to be any chance of winning. Crown was ALMOST there...but "almost" doesn't get you 1st place.

Truth.

• Like 2

I will not debate whether Crown should have won. I will debate, however, on the issue of fairness. If BD gets perfect scores in some visual categories, then Crown should have received perfect scores in GE music, Brass, and Music Analysis.

• Like 5

They already have with their 2004 show The Composition of Color. That was when amps were first allowed and they took some liberties there with their narration. If I remember, the fans were not too thrilled with that show. I have to admit though, I'm actually one of the few that enjoyed it. There's a show like that from every corps. You can't hit a home run every time.

Aqua !

G

Crooked lines, here you go my friend, crooked as a dogs hind leg:

208398_10151171996275185_724950779_n.jpg

Notice that I added a straight line to show what a straight line should be.

This is why I have real problems with ANYONE scoring a perfect 20.0. Crown, BD, Pioneer...

And 4 of the 5 judges last night in visual captions still gave it out. Just wow.

This kills me especially when we still have gaps like 19.5 to 20.0 between first and second. There is room. Every corps had issues, and nothing was perfect. Judges don't need to "make a statement" with a show just because they are drama queens.

Edit: To prove I am not a color guard "hater", I ranted when Steve Calhoun at QUARTERFINALS in 2004 judged brass and gave a 20 to a corps that was not on last. First, WTF were you listening to, and second, how can you pop that score with 2 more corps remaining yet? Numbers management much?

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 8

sWPSF.png

Crown is marching at 190bpm there. The shot of BD, they're marching around 80bpm. You can't even compare the two shots. We need something more comparable before judging corps cleanliness. ALSO THATS SAN ANTONIO. WEEKS AGO.

Edited by Njfritz
  • Like 6

I will not debate whether Crown should have won. I will debate, however, on the issue of fairness. If BD gets perfect scores in some visual categories, then Crown should have received perfect scores in GE music, Brass, and Music Analysis.

The issue here is you have level-headed music people judging.

There is no "Box 6" like WGI has exactly for this reason. Those judges just want some artificial way to accentuate their drama filled mind being blown even more.

So yes, I fully and completely 100% agree with you.

Edited by IMcomguy

I sat next to a former director, now 'Friend of DCI' VIP of a certain Top 3 World Class corps last night. He agreed that Jersey Surf stole the show at every event he saw them at this summer, and believes THIS is what people (i.e. the 80% of fans there that know nothing about the activity whatsoever...) want to see. He also admitted while they couldn't march their way out of a paper bag, his words, not mine, that it was his favorite show of the year and would pay just to see it in exhibition.

This guy also marched 5 years long ago and was drum major, winning several DCI titles.

Take that FWIW. True story!

Some of the most popular movies of all time... some considered movie classics today... received just terrible, awful reviews at the time of their release by the so called newspaper and magazine " movie experts " at the time. These movie experts and their reviews have moved on. They're gone from this earth. These classic movies they once panned however, live on. Generation after Generation.

Edited by BRASSO

It's Dada.

Indeed. I liked the show very, very much, I didn't expect many folks to like it, and Dada does and did cause virulent crowd reactions.

Unfortunately, Crown, with one of the best jacked up hornlines of all time without a book or show to truly showcase them for what they are- a good book and show, but not the spectacular show they needed to have, is not enough to get it done. Percussion sunk their boat. Maybe the superhero outfits, too. I'll take the Dadaist costumes and the stick horsies over Crown-Man and Carolina-Girl any day.

• Like 1