Drum Corps Class

I was at all three nights and have to say the finals was amazing--even more moving to me was after awards all of Crown's brass and drums went over to congratulate Blue Devils--They stayed a long time and there were lots of hugs and high fives on both sides, a big mix of blue and cream uniforms. then The BD guard went to Crown's guard and congratulated them and then joined together for a long series of pictures. I liked both shows and I think sometimes as fans we have a different perspective of the competition aspect of it as we root for our favorites, but what i saw tonight was a lot of class on all sides, honoring the drive and comittment both corps embrace.

• Like 2

I was at all three nights and have to say the finals was amazing--even more moving to me was after awards all of Crown's brass and drums went over to congratulate Blue Devils--They stayed a long time and there were lots of hugs and high fives on both sides, a big mix of blue and cream uniforms. then The BD guard went to Crown's guard and congratulated them and then joined together for a long series of pictures. I liked both shows and I think sometimes as fans we have a different perspective of the competition aspect of it as we root for our favorites, but what i saw tonight was a lot of class on all sides, honoring the drive and comittment both corps embrace.

Meh, I wish it wouldn't have happened on the field. It's retreat, not a cocktail party.

Edited by CuriousMe

Meh, I wish it wouldn't have happened on the field. It's retreat, not a cocktail party.

Nah, it's an awards ceremony. When they got rid of the pass in review, it stopped being retreat. And I'm fine with that. Corps have mingled like Crown and Devils before. Classy move.

• Like 4

I think it was GREAT that it happened on the field. What a wonderful example of sportsmanship for all of the young band members in the audience. TOTAL CLASS.

I also think the audience reacted to the placements with more class than I feared would be demonstrated.

• Like 3

I think it was GREAT that it happened on the field. What a wonderful example of sportsmanship for all of the young band members in the audience. TOTAL CLASS.

I also think the audience reacted to the placements with more class than I feared would be demonstrated.

Both top scores got great reactions, just based on the live feed.

I agree. Instead of a lot of booing when crowd favorite to win it.. Crown.. was announced in 2nd place it seemed like a very large segmrent of the Finals audience decided to cheer for an extended time for Crown. So much so that the announncer waited a bit to allow that to happen, before announcing first place for BD. When BD was declared the winner there were a few audible boos heard on the transmission feed, but it appears that most of the DCI fans in attendance for the most part kept their composure and remained classy despite some clear disappointments with some in the audience. On the whole, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared either.. and that was a relief to see and hear, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree. Instead of a lot of booing when crowd favorite to win it.. Crown.. was announced in 2nd place it seemed like a very large segmrent of the Finals audience decided to cheer for an extended time for Crown. So much so that the announncer waited a bit to allow that to happen, before announcing first place for BD. When BD was declared the winner there were a few audible boos heard on the transmission feed, but it appears that most of the DCI fans in attendance for the most part kept their composure and remained classy despite some clear disappointments with some in the audience. On the whole, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared either.. and that was a relief to see and hear, imo.

i would agree that crown got a very large reaction and cheers. the crowd obviously wanted crown to win, it was evident when they took the field and after they finished performing. if i were a member of crown, that reaction would be reassurance enough for me that my show was truly something special

as for bd, there were a few boos but the more noticeable thing was the lack of applaud they received (at least from the section i was seated in) the crowed cheered less for bd than they did for crown and then they all got up and proceeded to leave.

there were a few yells during the announcement of scores from around the area i was seated: one being "scouts were wronged (or robbed)" another was along the lines of "the scores are horse****"

Both top scores got great reactions, just based on the live feed.

After the audience let it soak in that Blue Devils won, and after giving Crown a massive standing ovation, they provided Blue Devils with the enthusiastic reaction the members so richly deserved for their hard work and their achievement of excellence. I commented the audience had been willing Crown to win, but it the end, they showed class in remembering that the kids earned a rousing ovation for their accomplishment.

The kids were a whole lot classier than some of the so called adults around me.

Well done Crown & Devils!

• Like 4