Caption Awards

Ouch. Who's in charge of the simple mathematics here? First, the Blue Devils are incorrectly announced as the Jim Ott Brass winner. And... the Brazale Visual Award was a tie? After the detailed explanation of how caption winners are determined?

Devils: 19.5 + 19.4 + 19.5 = 58.4 (QF + SF + F)

Crown: 19.1 + 19.6 + 19.7 = 58.4 (QF + SF + F)

"In the event of a tie, the higher number at Finals will determine the winner."

So...congrats to Crown on being the sole winner of the John Brazale Visual Proficiency Award! w00t.gif

This takes me back to 1985 when SCV was erroneously announced as the Color Guard winner. After PBS cut out, the correction was announced, and the Trophy was lugged down to Spirit of Atlanta. Fortunately, these things are rare.

• Like 1

The Ott Award bump in the road was due to Brandt Crocker having to read off two sheets of paper...one with the caption awards and one with the scores. His eye went to the wrong line when he was switching between the sheets. I was informed in the press box afterwards that next year, he will be presented with just one sheet in script form from which to read. In retrospect, it is logical to do it this way, but this hadn't come up before in this manner, so things were done as they always had been.

The thing about the tie can be attributed to an intern who figured that out having not known about that rule, especially as it has rarely been applied before. That's something else that was perhaps waiting to happen for years and came up last night...and, like the creation of a single sheet for the announcer next year, is something that will not happen again because steps will be taken to assure that.

You'd think after four decades, we'd have this stuff all figured out; but the truth is, as we figure out these things, new issues are presented that we never had to deal with before. It's part of being human and it's part of life. We learn and move on. If I didn't just move on from my mistakes, despite doing what I've done for some decades now, I wouldn't get anything done because I'd be spending much of my time dwelling on what I could have done differently.

That last example is, of course, purely theoretical. I won't know what a mistake feels like unless I make one. And since I'm a Cyborg, that's highly unlikely because I'm programmed to be perfect. :shutup:

I would just give Brandt a set of index cards with the scores and awards. Just read 'em and drop the ones you've read.

I would just give Brandt a set of index cards with the scores and awards. Just read 'em and drop the ones you've read.

Hopefully there will be many teleprompters available for purchase from the government before finals week 2013!

• Like 4

How's your hand today after banging it when you jumped up? :whistle:

There's something wrong with that sentence, but I'm not going in to look for it.

I'm still reminded that concrete is stronger than me and will always be so.

I've also taken concrete off my Christmas card list.

There's something wrong with that sentence, but I'm not going in to look for it.

I'm still reminded that concrete is stronger than me and will always be so.

I've also taken concrete off my Christmas card list.

C'mon, Cyborgs are programmed to ignore pain, so what's the problem? Besides, you said it yourself, you make mistakes, then you move on. In this case, I guess you just move on to the hospital. :rolleyes:

Remember, there's no crying in drum corps.

C'mon, Cyborgs are programmed to ignore pain, so what's the problem? Besides, you said it yourself, you make mistakes, then you move on. In this case, I guess you just move on to the hospital. :rolleyes:

Remember, there's no crying in drum corps.

I didn't pass the final Cyborg quality control test.

I love Brandt Crocker, and I do wish he continues to announce until the end of time. But with age comes challenges that quite possibly wouldn't have happened 10, 20 years ago, I know that is the hard truth, and probably a tough pill to swallow. DCI definitely needs to simplify things and I am very glad he will be given a script next year.

As embarrassing as it was to hear System Blue at Minneapolis play "Salvation is Created" last year, and hearing Crocker announce "Celibate and Recruited".... the brass oops last night was worse.

And another thing, the Glassmen are not from LaCrosse, Wisconsin! :)

• Like 1

You'd think after four decades, we'd have this stuff all figured out; but the truth is, as we figure out these things, new issues are presented that we never had to deal with before. It's part of being human and it's part of life. We learn and move on.

Well-said, Mike.

For the folks who don't know me... I'm the PA announcer for the DCA Championship finals, since 1983.

Believe me... stuff happens. :tongue: And we learn, move on, and work to not repeat any mistakes that have been made.