Staff changes

They were somewhat of a disappointment this summer, especially program wise. I know with the proper changes and adjustments they will bounce back much stronger next summer. Hopefully they will go back to their original classic Trooper uniforms as well as their western roots. Good luck to them. We all wish them continued success!

I agree with you. I was REALLY hoping they'd continue along the line of their 2011 show.

As a former Trooper and former Trooper parent, it saddens me to see a continual churn of staff at Troopers. Maybe everyone in that category of competition has the same issue? It feels like if you documented all the staff / caption heads / consultants they've had over the past 10 years it would be quite a lengthy list. With that kind of turnover, one has to wonder whatthe underlying issues are.

Does everyone in the 12-16 range have this amount of staff turnover?

As a former Trooper and former Trooper parent, it saddens me to see a continual churn of staff at Troopers. Maybe everyone in that category of competition has the same issue? It feels like if you documented all the staff / caption heads / consultants they've had over the past 10 years it would be quite a lengthy list. With that kind of turnover, one has to wonder whatthe underlying issues are.

Does everyone in the 12-16 range have this amount of staff turnover?

Many groups have some amount from year to year. Things happen; my old caption head stopped caption-heading because his wife had a child, and he needs to be at home.

Complete overhauls are not super common, but they do happen. Sometimes, though, a complete change in staff does not bode ill; if the technique stays the same, but the staff changes, it can be good.

I know that the outside looking in is never the same, but every year I take my HS drumline kids around to different drum corps rehearsals so they can view how different corps do things, but how everyone does it at a high level. Two years back, I was absolutely embarrassed when I took them to one of the Troopers rehearsals. A percussion staff member, I'm not sure if the caption head or just a tech, did a lot of yelling, but very little of it felt productive and WAY over-the-top. Immediately following we went and saw Glassmen and Blue Stars and both of them were class acts the whole way around. It's a shame, because I like the Troopers' style, but that rehearsal turned me off so much that I have always advised my students to go elsewhere. I understand that some groups thrive in that type of environment, but maybe that style of teaching just wasn't a good fit for Troop. It didn't appear to be on that particular day.

• Like 1

I know that the outside looking in is never the same, but every year I take my HS drumline kids around to different drum corps rehearsals so they can view how different corps do things, but how everyone does it at a high level. Two years back, I was absolutely embarrassed when I took them to one of the Troopers rehearsals. A percussion staff member, I'm not sure if the caption head or just a tech, did a lot of yelling, but very little of it felt productive and WAY over-the-top. Immediately following we went and saw Glassmen and Blue Stars and both of them were class acts the whole way around. It's a shame, because I like the Troopers' style, but that rehearsal turned me off so much that I have always advised my students to go elsewhere. I understand that some groups thrive in that type of environment, but maybe that style of teaching just wasn't a good fit for Troop. It didn't appear to be on that particular day.

Sounds like Kevin welborn to me...I too took some students to one of their percussion ensembles and was appalled by the "instruction" taking place from supposed world class educators.

Nick Benson announced his resignation after five years today from what I hear, so there will be a new drill writer at the very least.

Nick Benson announced his resignation after five years today from what I hear, so there will be a new drill writer at the very least.

This is correct. He was also the visual caption head, so there will definitely be significant changes in the visual department

Edited by loopin' froot loops

The entire Troopers staff is being replaced. One could easily say I am "resigning" after so many years. But the truth is their services are no longer needed.

Look for an announcement around September 1, or after Labor Day.

And I will stick up for Kevin Welborn. He is one of the most "class act" instructors I have even come across. He loves the activity and loves the members to death. He does get excited once in a while. But in my opinion, if he does yell, it just shows his passion for wanting the kids to be better. It never comes across as unproductive.

Edited by ma24le
  • Like 2

One could easily say I am "resigning" after so many years. But the truth is their services are no longer needed.

In all fairness, that can go both ways. One can easily say "your fired" after so many years. But the truth is, that job is no longer needed for that individual. Point being, not every parting of ways or staff shake up is a one sided termination. Nor is every parting of ways or staff shake up a one sided resignation. Staff coordinators and staff members do mutually part ways at times. Sometimes more often than not.

Unfortunately, reputations get severed all to often on this very misunderstanding; and often at the expense of both parties involved. Naturally, a staff member's reputation can be at risk for "being fired". ALSO, a staff coordinator's reputation can also be at risk for making hasty changes. Especially if there appears (key word) to be frequent change ups.

The best thing to do is not get caught up in the gossip of "so and so resigned" and or "so and so got fired" and just ride the surface of the issue with the attitude of "________drum corps now has a new percussion staff previous percussion staff is now doing this_________" and wish both parties the best in their future endevours because honestly, it doesn't matter anyway. Too often we get wrapped up in things that don't matter. What we should do instead is take note of.......................................(see my signature).............................

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012

Oh, one last thing.....

But in my opinion, if he does yell, it just shows his passion for wanting the kids to be better. It never comes across as unproductive

Yelling at the kids is never productive. I wish this activity would finally learn this. Funny, I hear rumors that BD's staff yells the least of any. Maybe there is something to their 15 titles that goes beyond the obvious. Maybe BD is the only one who has....well.......a LOT..........of things figured out and the rest of the activity is doing things backwards.

Reminds me of story I once heard of someone who needed to get out of a burning building so they tried slamming themselves into a wall over and over again to try and get out until they were a burning bloody mess. The unfortunate part was, there was a door nearby that would have saved their lives if they had just walked through it.

How often do so many corps beat themselves into a bloody mess when all they have to do is walk through a door to get where they want to go (insert 05 Cadets joke now)?

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 4