"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

On this list, Brasso insists there are numerous pre-1975 Golden Age fans present, and I say that besides myself there aren't.

Let's do a '60s-'70s Golden Age common-knowledge test:

What colors were worn by St. Lucy's?

The Miami Vanguards had what unique symbol(s) on their blouses?

What was unique about the Boys of 76's bugles?

Who used the first contrabasses? (Bonus: in what year?)

Which famous DCW columnist founded the Schaumburg Guardsmen?

Which DCW publisher was indicted for murder?

Where was the first DCI nationals, and the name of the stadium?

What was St. Mary's Cardinals' famous off-the-line?

When were G-F-F# bugles legalized? Name five common 1960s/1970s-era bugle makes.

• Like 1

On this list, Brasso insists there are numerous pre-1975 Golden Age fans present, and I say that besides myself there aren't.

Red, White, and blue

Stars and Bars

Dont Know - Ask the Kilties.

Appleknockers in 1967

Dont Know

Dont Care

Whitewater, Camp Randall

rotating front on the 50 - off-the-line

When were G-F-F# bugles legalized?

Name five common 1960s/1970s-era bugle makes.

DEG, Blessing, Olds, King, Getzen, Benge

Do not respond here. Start another thread if you are going to answer these questions.

Edited by Kevin Powell

When were G-F-F# bugles legalized? Name five common 1960s/1970s-era bugle makes.

Right now, there are 5 users on this thread... period. So your quest for " numerous " ANY age group on this thread is sort of silly to begin with. I don't do questionaires with people that have litmus tests, especially when their first few posts have been hostile towards others to begin with. But I know many of the answers to these questions, but your tone is divisive and dismissive of those relatively new to the activity, so I'm not interested in playing this game, but this dino wishes you a pleasant day anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

My guess you are just "a newbie" and" too young to know", so in your world its " Tropical Heat Wave ". And poor Cardinals, they never ever could get that line straight when they did the wheel. Madison Scouts 2012 had a MUCH larger Corps do the wheel move MUCH better this year.

(veteran followers also know its " King of Kings " that was the Cardinals " famous OTL ")

Edited by BRASSO

Right now, there are 5 users on this thread... period. So your quest for " numerous " ANY age group on this thread is sort of silly to begin with. I don't do questionaires with people that have litmus tests, especially when their first few posts have been hostile towards others to begin with. But I know many of the answers to these questions, but your tone is divisive and dismissive of those relatively new to the activity, so I'm not interested in playing this game, but this dino wishes you a pleasant day anyway.

Thank you...

My guess you are just "a newbie" and" too young to know", so in your world its " Tropical Heat Wave ". And poor Cardinals, they never ever could get that line straight when they did the wheel. Madison Scouts 2012 had a MUCH larger Corps do the wheel move MUCH better this year.

(veteran followers also know its " King of Kings " that was the Cardinals " famous OTL ")

:smile:

nm

Edited by BRASSO

nm

kind of correct. My head is packed with art history, typography history and design history. the crossroads of jazz & blues to rock-n-roll history would be next in the line. It has been twenty some odd years since I dug through drum corps history.

Ask me how to run a letterpress and the origins of typefaces and I am your man.

Well, my dad signed me up to the feeder corps of the Garden State Circuit corps his VFW post sponsored...that would have been in 1964, when I was 10 1/2. After the big corps broke up due to the usual adult problems, we marched as a parade corps from 65-67.

Saw my first field show in 64 as a runner, sitting in a chair on the field, running out to pick up the sheet from one of the execution judges.

I recall that BS, Garfield, St Lucy's, St Kevin's and Audobon were at the show, plus a few more that I forget.

Marched my first field show in 68 in a GSC corps from my town.

Marched with Garfield 70-72.

Does that count?

I thought I'd chime in 'cause I'm new and stupid.

I reject the notion that the culling of small drum corps in the 80's happened because of bad stewardship. That's revisionist history at it's worst. I was in two corps over a six year period and both were shrinking fast every year due largely to a lack of enrollment. For some reason, people wanted their kid to join a drum corps in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s, but in the 80s it suddenly became extremely uncool. It's hard to say exactly why; maybe it didn't provide the coolness the media promoted so strongly. Maybe parents had less control over their kids activities.

Whatever it was, it was a cultural meteor that drum corps didn't see coming. Like, ironically, the dinosaurs.

Also, there was supposedly decreasing funding for various reasons, but I wasn't privy to those conversations. As I recall the costs of traveling to shows was going up faster than corps could keep up.

But it sure as heck wasn't because the people involved weren't doing the job. We had incredibly dedicated free and paid instructors and staff, but that didn't save it.

Also, the term dinos clearly refers to those who prefer the current or recent drum corps rules (pre A&E), not an older generation of participants and fans.