"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

I am thinking about two distinct division..."traditional" and what I call "anything goes"...that I agree with in general. The problem is defining the parameters of what would be permitted in the "traditional" division, hence my post. Do we bring back inspection? How about the old cadence caption, with tempos being confined to a narrow range as they were in 1971? What is your own opinion on what defines the boundaries of the traditional division?

I truly appreciate the sentiment and the idea but like guardling said - Who will be inclined to march strict "traditional"? That might need to be a DCA thing.

I do not believe there should be a division. I do believe ALL the traditional confines you mention can be on the sheets and points can be awarded and offset by another "innovative" confines on the sheets (reasons they broke rank). If there is not a reason they break from tradition - "TICK" (sorry for that) - But if they have good reason, they gain that point in the innovation column. It is an either or system. Either it is this side or that side on the score sheet.

It would be more difficult to judge, maybe even more judges.

I am thinking about two distinct division..."traditional" and what I call "anything goes"...that I agree with in general. The problem is defining the parameters of what would be permitted in the "traditional" division, hence my post. Do we bring back inspection? How about the old cadence caption, with tempos being confined to a narrow range as they were in 1971? What is your own opinion on what defines the boundaries of the traditional division?

Figuring out what defines what... that is another great big can of worms. We would have about 75 years of drum corps to define.

I will call for "baby steps" on this one at this point.

MikeD. I hope you understand that I would love to see the true tradtional corps that you mention.

I am trying to voice that we can field everything we ALL love. A field that honors tradition equal with innovation.

Sometimes written words are taken out of context. Sometimes many examples are taken to literal and others not literal enough.

I would love to dig further into what the sheets might look like but I do not believe we are ready for that.

MikeD. I hope you understand that I would love to see the true tradtional corps that you mention.

I am trying to voice that we can field everything we ALL love. A field that honors tradition equal with innovation.

Sometimes written words are taken out of context. Sometimes many examples are taken to literal and others not literal enough.

I would love to dig further into what the sheets might look like but I do not believe we are ready for that.

Kevin,

I have been a proponent of an Anything Goes division for a long time. It is defining what is 'left' that I raised as questions to be considered. Would a corps that wants to remain brass/percussion, but also continue to use the A&E elements legal today fit into the traditional? Or the Anything Goes? Kind of interesting to ponder. A case can be made that the current WC division is the traditional division, just as it is. Of course, for those who view 'traditional' as something else...that would hardly be satisfactory.

That might become another huge DCP fight...how do we define 'traditional'? :tongue:

Kevin,

I have been a proponent of an Anything Goes division for a long time. It is defining what is 'left' that I raised as questions to be considered. Would a corps that wants to remain brass/percussion, but also continue to use the A&E elements legal today fit into the traditional? Or the Anything Goes? Kind of interesting to ponder. A case can be made that the current WC division is the traditional division, just as it is. Of course, for those who view 'traditional' as something else...that would hardly be satisfactory.

That might become another huge DCP fight...how do we define 'traditional'? :tongue:

That is difficult to define. My best guess would be a "hard line in the sand" and pick a year. It would still upset some people but we could find that balancing point. Personally I see it somewhere in the 80s. Zingali drill kicked the ant hill. Anything before that to me still had the "tradition" after maybe modern. It might be a little later... it is hard to say.

Star of Indiana (Zingalli again) kind of kicked the ant hill as well. Like Duchamp leaving the art game after his game changing moves with DADA, Star left the corps game and left everyone scratching their heads.

We could just go play chess like Marcel Duchamp.

...and the corps that can afford it should be given the opportunity to explore and either succeed or fail.

This assumes that DCI judges would actually fail anyone for any reason. When's the last time any judge failed (less than 60%) a G8 corps?

Then again, if anything goes, why not also get rid of judging?

That also may explain why I think the corps would try to balance traditional vs innovative and end up with a show that is a faster pace version of the early 90s show. Some with more innovative moments and some with more traditional elements.

This assumes that DCI judges would actually fail anyone for any reason. When's the last time any judge failed (less than 60%) a G8 corps?

this is why I say balance the sheets "somehow" It is mot an easy task but it could actually foster tradition and innovation.

And by "FAIL", I was stating that they could determine that some progressive approaches are not fiscally responsible, as well as not judge/fan worthy.

Master Painter: Can paint a two bedroom apartment in 1 day. 2 coats!

He or She could do so with 2 blue coats or even with 2 Bluecoats.

Edited by BRASSO