"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

I didn't see Brasso's post before I posted my idea of having more than one division. He's a genius :lookaround:

BRASSO has actually mentioned this on a few occasions and I recall last year as well...

no youre picking and choosing,,,,they said TRADITIONAL...that means way back to the roots...not some decade that some decide by themselves is acceptable as traditional...that excludes Bridgemen...vk...and many other..get back to the roots as they said

this is part of what they said...it would leave crown and madison out also"To be a Traditional corps there would be no amplification or non-military marching by the brass and percussion " but then said some things are ok for the guard...sounds like wanyting to have your cake and eat it to :rolleyes:

I think traditional in this sense should be a historic cut-off date...for example pre-2000.

I think traditional in this sense should be a historic cut-off date...for example pre-2000.

I 've got no illusions that we'll see a two tier " Traditional Division " and an " Avard Garde "Division in DCI. But maybe it could have been adopted years ago when we had more Corps.

In my scenario " The Traditional Division " would not be stuck in a world of NO changes. Changes would happen. Some of the things seen in the Avard Garde Division might move.. in time... into the Traditional Division. And ideas of " innovation " that in retrospect looked dumber than dirt... like percussionists carrying strapped tympanies on their backs like a kitchen sink and marching around the football field plying that thing in a foolish elevated position would have been seen as an epic fail and would have never found their way into the Traditional Division, but instead are scrapped in the Avard Garde Division that brought that stupid " innovation " idea into DCI Drum Corps. Corps could have stayed with the G bugles in the Traditional Division, and others adopted the Bb's trumpets in the Avard Garde Division. I believe that in time some brass manufacturer is going to figure out that we can blend the G's with the B flats, and we will have trumpet- bugles that no longer have the tiny sound we hear now in the Bb's. We'll look back and laugh at the thoroughly tiny sounds that the Bb flat trumpets have copmpared to the G's richer fuller sound. It'll be the " C's " that'll " correct " this flaw by changing the tubing, and the valving apparatus, thereby blending the two in a better sounding " soprano " section instrument. Such instrumentation could be introduced first into the Avard Garde Division as a testing of it. Meanwhile if it turns out to be a bust, we'll have not lost what had been working well in the Traditional Division which is the Bb's. I wish we had this 2 tier system in DCI awhile back as a matter of fact when we had more Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

Which is why I see this being a huge DCP fight...we each have our own definition. I would suggest that the year an Anything Goes division is started, what is legal now becomes the Traditional division.

I'm sure there will be as many definitions as there are posters...hence the difficulty I noted...and the potential new DCP 1,000 page thread! :tongue:

BRASSO... I'm glad you like to write and think you're a genius but I am not a fan of your idea. I dont like your idea on your two divisions and I got a big laugh out of your horn idea.

• Like 1

Which is why I see this being a huge DCP fight...we each have our own definition. I would suggest that the year an Anything Goes division is started, what is legal now becomes the Traditional division.

I'm sure there will be as many definitions as there are posters...hence the difficulty I noted...and the potential new DCP 1,000 page thread! :tongue:

AGREED...

Just for knowledge... what point in history would you place tradional?

I edit mine to the last year of the tick system.

Edited by Kevin Powell

AGREED...

Just for knowledge... what point in history would you place tradional?

I edit mine to the last year of the tick system.

See my suggestion in the post you replied to...I'd go with that. Whatever is legal at the point a new division is added becomes the traditional division of brass and percussion (which therefore includes A&E). The current WC rules remain as the traditional division rules, in other words.

I'm sure I'll be in my usual minority spot with that opinion. :smile:

See my suggestion in the post you replied to...I'd go with that. Whatever is legal at the point a new division is added becomes the traditional division of brass and percussion (which therefore includes A&E). The current WC rules remain as the traditional division rules, in other words.

I'm sure I'll be in my usual minority spot with that opinion. :smile:

you're killing me :smile:

I'd pretty much bet the mortgage money on that, Mike...

I would peg it at the pre-plug in years.

I'll go with Grandpa on this...

Grandpa- where in time would you draw a tradition line?