"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

wanna bet outcomes would be no different?..lol

It could also push a strong organization like Devils to put two corps on the field. Because, I guarantee that they still know how to entertain.

My bets are that it could shake up 4-20 and force them to define their "visions" a little better.

I would love to see what Madison would do.

i think you would see just as you did this year..........a close race between a non traditional corps verses a ( semi ) traditional approach 1&2.........3 and 4 almost the same thing ( somewhat )....i think we just all define whats traditonal very different..........funny I have some friends in alumni corps that fight about the same thing.......many think the 70s is where they should be drawing music from...well thats fine but the 80s people dont agree and then theres the 90s people who marched 20 years ago that say who says the 70s werent the " right " decade we want our decade......its an old argument and will NEVER be solved and thats normal....although There are many who feel they have the answer..lol

i think you would see just as you did this year..........a close race between a non traditional corps verses a ( semi ) traditional approach 1&2.........3 and 4 almost the same thing ( somewhat )....i think we just all define whats traditonal very different..........funny I have some friends in alumni corps that fight about the same thing.......many think the 70s is where they should be drawing music from...well thats fine but the 80s people dont agree and then theres the 90s people who marched 20 years ago that say who says the 70s werent the " right " decade we want our decade......its an old argument and will NEVER be solved and thats normal....although There are many who feel they have the answer..lol

A good point...just what IS a traditional corps? Is it frozen at what we have today, equipment-wise? That means multi-key, amps, electronics...etc....

If not...what era's equipment defines the makeup of a "traditional" corps? 1962...72...82...etc???

How many kids would want to march around in 1962-style corps, with sling carried snares, single tenors, flat "thumper" bass drums, no timpani, no mallets...guards that did no work at all...valve/slip-slide G/D horns...etc...

Or would it be 1972, the first year of DCI? Marching timpani, still no mallets, triple tenors, triple basses (heavy!), "thumper" basses, G/F valve/rotor horns, flag lines that marched around pointing the flags, rifle lines that did spins and maybe a toss or two...

Personally, I like the idea of an "anything goes" division...I've said so for years. I would freeze the current divisions at what there is today...which would still upset many legacy fans, but might have a ghost of a chance of surviving.

You are correct.

A new system like this would make people less scared and push them to explore the direction they would like to go. And they would make it great.

It would actually take some mediocrity out of the show line up. Knowing that they can be awarded for being great at what they do. Designers could design with corps visions and intent not just a single column score sheet.

I put the painters analogy in here because the great corps would end up being those master painters. Very Focused and well balanced works of art would be put on the field. The great and good corps would struggle with their identity and find their correct direction.

A good point...just what IS a traditional corps? Is it frozen at what we have today, equipment-wise? That means multi-key, amps, electronics...etc....

If not...what era's equipment defines the makeup of a "traditional" corps? 1962...72...82...etc???

How many kids would want to march around in 1962-style corps, with sling carried snares, single tenors, flat "thumper" bass drums, no timpani, no mallets...guards that did no work at all...valve/slip-slide G/D horns...etc...

Or would it be 1972, the first year of DCI? Marching timpani, still no mallets, triple tenors, triple basses (heavy!), "thumper" basses, G/F valve/rotor horns, flag lines that marched around pointing the flags, rifle lines that did spins and maybe a toss or two...

Personally, I like the idea of an "anything goes" division...I've said so for years. I would freeze the current divisions at what there is today...which would still upset many legacy fans, but might have a ghost of a chance of surviving.

I think the great corps would discover the balance of all their new and old tools. Trying to balance the sheets a little more rather than pushing one direction or the other. It might balance out to faster moving corps of the 80s and early 90s. But they may be inclined to push the envelope with very old instrumentation.

Like new rock-n-roll with a hallow body gibson guitar.

Just because you have a TOOL does not mean that you have to use it

Pull out the correct tools for the correct job. It seams simple but can be very difficult.

It is like using the correct voicing at the correct moment on the field. There is a reason that those drums may not be playing during the ballad.

I do not have to use Bb horns and I like the warmth of the Gs. I am going to use them. A sling carried snare would be awesome at this moment in the show. Flat "thumper" bass drums would create what I need right here. This might be a good place in the show for a little body movement in the hornline. I am going to start this show with Fireworks.

Edited by Kevin Powell

I think the great corps would discover the balance of all their new and old tools. Trying to balance the sheets a little more rather than pushing one direction or the other. It might balance out to faster moving corps of the 80s and early 90s. But they may be inclined to push the envelope with very old instrumentation.

I am thinking about two distinct division..."traditional" and what I call "anything goes"...that I agree with in general. The problem is defining the parameters of what would be permitted in the "traditional" division, hence my post. Do we bring back inspection? How about the old cadence caption, with tempos being confined to a narrow range as they were in 1971? What is your own opinion on what defines the boundaries of the traditional division?

I will start off by saying that I am a traditionalist. I like the activity unplugged with G-Bugles.

Now that I have that out of the way, The changes in DCI have uncovered different ways for groups to perform and expand the activity. George Zingali broke ground in the way we marched and changed the activity. Introduction of Multi-valve instruments opened these arts to more technically challenging music. Introduction of Multi-key expanded that evolution a little further. The introduction of Amplification put a new texture and element on the field that could be quite useful. The Introduction of electronic instruments has expanded on the use of amplification. WGI has brought new ideas of movement much like that of Zingali. Percussion is also expanding by leaps and bounds.

Now I will throw out the question. Why are there boundaries and limitations? Now is the time to get rid of them completely and watch what happens. There is no reason woodwinds and strings should not be allowed on the field. There is no reason that Lights, Lasers, and Video Projection should not be allowed. There is no reason that Animals, mechanical prop and even jet packs should not be allowed on the field. There should be no limitation is size and numbers of each corps - that should be determined by the show. The only limitation I see that is need is the time on the field - Time getting on - and time getting off.

I'm sure the alumni from Westshoremen will be chiming in on the merits of this idea any second now... :rolleyes: