John Brazale Best Visual Award Tie

I have checked through the forums and through the entire Finals Night topic and have not found an answer to my question about this tie. It was mentioned in the Finals Night topic, but no one responded.

Supposedly, Blue Devils and Carolina Crown tied for the newly named John Brazale Best Visual Performance Award. I have established that this award is determined by JUST the Visual Proficiency score and nothing else. Also, Brandt Crocker made sure to announce the tie policy on Finals Night before any of the Caption Awards were announced. The policy is that, in the event of a tie from the average of the scores from the three nights, the corps who has the highest score on Finals Night will break the tie and win the award. Okay. That being said, let's look at the numbers.

Just so you can see my references, here are the three recaps:

Prelims: http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?event_id=5f186909-1ed4-4a7f-bd47-02ef4a2f18fd

Semifinals: http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?event_id=d3f6307d-2d4c-41c3-a3c5-9801979697e1

Finals: http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?event_id=d3695655-2738-4fc6-94b7-d7fe9e874b49

Okay ... and now the numbers.

Blue Devils

Prelims: 19.5

Semifinals: 19.4

Finals: 19.5

Average: 19.466667

Carolina Crown

Prelims: 19.1

Semifinals: 19.6

Finals: 19.7

Average: 19.466667

So, yes .. there was a tie from averaging the three nights scores. However ... the two corps did not tie on Finals Night. Therefore, according to the rules, Carolina Crown won the award outright ... not in a tie with Blue Devils.

I have not started this topic to flame BD or talk about a conspiracy or anything ... I just want to know why this has not been discussed. Can anyone shed some light on this? Michael Boo, perhaps? :smile:

• Like 1

This was addressed multiple times after Finals. Crown has the trophy to themselves, DCI corrected the mistake, as did Mike Boo quite graciously. It was just a mistake, these things happen.

There are a couple of threads around about this.

Really? I mean, I searched through 10-12 pages and couldn't find a thread that had a title that told me it would be about this issue. If there was, I apologize for creating another thread. I was merely curious and couldn't find an answer. I guess I also just thought DCI might, in newspaper parlance, print a retraction on their website if they had noticed the error and corrected it. I know these things can and will happen. I have just been dumbfounded about this since it was announced. I didn't realize it was based on Visual Proficiency alone. I used to think it was the entire Visual Score so I was confused since Crown came in second to BD in overall visual all three nights. So, it's just been something I've been stumped about since the announcement.

Pretty bad they mess up two announcements. And to be honest I didn't know until this thread that they changed anything. DCI should have put a little article on their website.

In my opinion, caption awards should be determined by the finals performance. When did DCI start averaging the last 3 scores?

• Like 1

And I chose not to read any of the finals thread... keeping myself out of trouble, lol

In my opinion, caption awards should be determined by the finals performance. When did DCI start averaging the last 3 scores?

It's been that way for quite some time I believe, but I can't give any exact info.

I didn't know about the visual award until I read this thread. I hope whoever was in charge of calculating the scores has worked his/her/their last show.

DCI got a 60%(3/5) on caption awards last weekend. That's a D minus.

They may be trying to reward consistent excellence over time versus a one-time high score. I'm sure there is a reason.

• Like 1