DCI Attendance Figures Released

I also see a marketing opportunity. This is right in the middle of the upstart of many BAND seasons.

Some sort of focused guerrilla marketing campaign aimed at bands, band students, band parents and band directors to encourage growth of the Drum Corps as well as getting the band population ready for their year.

BUT... this is just the advertising creative director in me speaking. I am not sure what they do now.

If you use the 2004 number as a baseline

2012 should have 242,441

The average viewer per theater went from 400 viewers to 66. Something is not right with these numbers.

Theaters will start dropping the show if they are only selling 66 tickets. That is not very much popcorn and coke for the amount of time the audience is killing one of the theater halls.

Not on a Thursday night they won't. That's traditionally one of the two slowest nights of the week for them, the other being Tuesday. 66 in a theater for DCI is triple what they would normally have (on average). Got that directly from a good friend that manages a multi-state region for a large theater complex.

Not on a Thursday night they won't. That's traditionally one of the two slowest nights of the week for them, the other being Tuesday. 66 in a theater for DCI is triple what they would normally have (on average). Got that directly from a good friend that manages a multi-state region for a large theater complex.

cool.

I happen to know DCI are delighted with these numbers.

• Like 1

The two-day attendance total for Open Class events in Michigan City, Ind. (Aug. 6-7) came in at 1,308, up from 1,191 in 2011.

Needs work.

Suggestion: Championship the WEEKEND BEFORE instead of settling for this painfully small Monday/Tuesday audience. No, it doesnt have to be at the big stadium...rent makes that prohibitive anyway.

Whatever....600 people at a Championship contest needs work. You have my suggestion. Discuss :)

Edited by wishbonecav

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=777ac5ef-235a-4f86-896d-70392b372660

Nearly 18,000 PAID at Finals, it clearly states that credentialed/wristbanded attendance was over the top of that. 12,000 for Semis is pretty nice as well.

I'm not sure the attendance numbers and the "paid attendance" that Acheson is talking about are the same number.

"We are very pleased to post a modest year-over-year increase in paid attendance across the three events at Lucas Oil Stadium," said DCI Executive Director/CEO Dan Acheson."

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=777ac5ef-235a-4f86-896d-70392b372660#ixzz23jShb2kW

Besides wristbands and lanyards (credentials), there are also comp tickets. I know because I was given one. It looks like a regular ticket. It got scanned like a regular ticket, but its price was $0.00.

I think the paid attendance Acheson is talking about is a lower number than the 17,820. Otherwise, they would have called it PAID attendance in the opening paragraph.

Also, when I compare the figures shown with last year, only finals had a slightly larger attendance number than the other two nights. They were up 457 people. Semis was down 324 and Prelims are down 256. The 3-day total was down 123 people.

(Edited to add: I hadn't read a lot of the other responses. Sorry for being redundant.)

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 2

If you use the 2004 number as a baseline

2012 should have 242,441

The average viewer per theater went from 400 viewers to 66. Something is not right with these numbers.

Theaters will start dropping the show if they are only selling 66 tickets. That is not very much popcorn and coke for the amount of time the audience is killing one of the theater halls.

How about for once, people stop trying to believe that the sky is falling when it isn't? Anytime there's good news, it must be your job to try to find the most obscure angle to shoot is down.

How about you use the 2004 number as a baseline and realize that there were 23,000 more people who saw (and paid to see) Finals Week this year than in 2004?

That's the best news for DCI and for arts education in general that I've seen in a long time.

PS - sorry for the rant, but this BS of finding mindless horse-hockey statistics to spread alleged doom and gloom drives me nuts, when the evidence doesn't point to that. It may not be getting better at the rate you want it to, but it's also not getting worse. There's a lot to like about what's out there and about what DCI is doing.

PPS - yes, I realize it's the internet, and no one is happy about anything.

Edited by Lead
  • Like 3

Besides wristbands and lanyards (credentials), there are also comp tickets. I know because I was given one. It looks like a regular ticket. It got scanned like a regular ticket, but its price was $0.00.

I think the paid attendance Acheson is talking about is a lower number than the 17,820. Otherwise, they would have called it PAID attendance in the opening paragraph.

I would think that with a BOD to answer to, the numbers are probably true and correct. Maybe that's just me. They've been honest with attendance figures in the past (even with drops), no reason to believe they're not honest at this point.

• Like 1

I've been to many first-run movies with a lot fewer than 66 people in the theater. I remember going to see The Hurt Locker in the Washington, D.C. area after it had been out for a couple of weeks, on a Sunday night, and I was literally the only person in the theater. That was spooky.

I would think that with a BOD to answer to, the numbers are probably true and correct. Maybe that's just me. They've been honest with attendance figures in the past (even with drops), no reason to believe they're not honest at this point.

To reiterate, I think the numbers are the attendance figures including comp tickets. I am not saying they are incorrect.

The "paid attendance" figures are different numbers and are not shown. Acheson is referring to them verbally without showing what they are. I don't believe he is being dishonest that they had a modest increase. He just isn't showing us what those numbers are.

The attendance numbers shown for the three nights are a modest decrease from last year. You can search for last year's article, if you'd like.

• Like 1