Post Finals Blowdowns

To me, this has been a terrible loss of a tradition. Not so much for the audience as for the performers. When I was involved with MBI we really looked forward to that "final performance" that was for ourselves and not for the judges. It was an opportunity to simply play for the joy of playing the show to cap off the memory of a season of hard work. It was the moment to say goodbye to your friends and celebrate the fleeting incarnation that was the corps for that season.

Another fun aspect was to be able to wander to other corps' parking lot performances and finally hear your fellow competitors perform live.

Edited by Ron H

Can you cite a source for that?

I sent a message to the DCA Facebook page (after being told by other corps members) asking about bringing instruments to Retreat, whoever runs the facebook page also said that instruments will not be allowed for retreat.

Their response was:

" the rumor is true... It's due to the Sound Restrictions in the City of Annapolis. "

Edited by Contra94

To me, this has been a terrible loss of a tradition. Not so much for the audience as for the performers. When I was involved with MBI we really looked forward to that "final performance" that was for ourselves and not for the judges. It was an opportunity to simply play for the joy of playing the show to cap off the memory of a season of hard work. It was the moment to say goodbye to your friends and celebrate the fleeting incarnation that was the corps for that season.

Another fun aspect was to be able to wander to other corps' parking lot performances and finally hear your fellow competitors perform live.

I totally agree with you on this. It was a time to let you hair down and unwind.

I suspect the "unwind" part has a lot to do with it in addition to the noise ordinances.

The FACE and AGE of DCA has changed greatly over the last few years by design. I doubt DCA wants to project the image of older drunken peeps boozing it up in the parking lot.

I guess leave that for Sunday morning and afternoon for the Alumni peeps. :):):)

I had a problem with these happening in Rochester because they sometimes ended up ruining the encore performances by the champions-especially the Class A champs, but even in Open class it would end up overpowing or competing with quieter passages of their music at times. After the encores are done, they could have had at it all night except that I can certainly understand the resident's right to peace and quiet.

As much as I loved the post finals parking area concerts, if I was a resident I would loathe ypu all. Why is it so hard to understand that the trash we have left behind, the screaming by the buses, the who can out play each other, it has all come back to bite us in the butt?

It's a shame, but respecting the area will alliw us to come back again hopefully.

• Like 1

I had a problem with these happening in Rochester because they sometimes ended up ruining the encore performances by the champions-especially the Class A champs, but even in Open class it would end up overpowing or competing with quieter passages of their music at times. After the encores are done, they could have had at it all night except that I can certainly understand the resident's right to peace and quiet.

Not just in Rochester, either. It happened the last year DCA was in Scranton, and it angered a lot of people that stayed to watch the two encores. While I understand that these parking lot "blows" are fun for the performers, they are accurately named. They generally sound like complete crap, and sure, they are loud, but they do not reflect positively on most corps when they do them.

Good riddance to an overrated "tradition".

(I eagerly await the repeated mashing of the red negative button)

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 4

OK... probably showing my age here... LOL... but when I marched in DCA, late 1970s-early 80s, I don't remember ever doing a post-Finals parking lot concert, or seeing other corps do one.

Heck... whether we won or lost Finals... we wanted to get back to our hotel. That's where the food and beverages were. :tongue:

• Like 2

OK... probably showing my age here... LOL... but when I marched in DCA, late 1970s-early 80s, I don't remember ever doing a post-Finals parking lot concert, or seeing other corps do one.

Heck... whether we won or lost Finals... we wanted to get back to our hotel. That's where the food and beverages were. :tongue:

ive taught many years in DCA and dont remember it either...including late 80s and early 90s....maybe 1 corps playing in the lot which usually some got ###### off at because other corps were still on retreat....but like you I was always looking to get out.......fast..lol