Lighting - the next frontier of "staging"

Nope; it is right on topic. "Lightning, the next frontier of staging" has a cost, and that cost has to be paid for bysomebody. I am attempting to see how you, who are involved in the entertainment business as a designer, propose that a corps pay for the lighting and other increased costs. Right on topic. So, again how do you propose corps specifically raise revenue to pay for this increased cost?

personally I would say NO if you cannot afford it up front.

Building a new business around an effect that might fail is stupid business.

It would need to start off as a fund raised test... if it works EXPAND your present business game to meet the needs of your budget. If cant get enough money, you simply cannot have new toys.

On the business of DRUM CORPS. It is a money sucker- not a money maker. It has to have a rich money making sister business to support its poor business structure.

Edited by Kevin Powell

Nope; it is right on topic. "Lightning, the next frontier of staging" has a cost, and that cost has to be paid for by somebody. I am attempting to see how you, who are involved in the entertainment business as a designer, propose that a corps pay for the lighting and other increased costs. Right on topic. So, again how do you propose corps specifically raise revenue to pay for this increased cost?

How I deal with IT with corps? I would say NO.

How would I deal with it with a client. I would ask their budget and then I would tell them what they could afford. (the nice way of saying NO)

Or just add a couple of postage stamp games to your Thursday Night BINGO Game.

I can only name two or three corps who DO NOT have broken sustainable business model. Corps is a money trap.

I can't imagine there could be any lighting effects that would be "amazing" or really effective. Projectors are really not effective in a massive lit stadium where the jumbotron is the brightest screen.

However I guess you could something With the jumbo tron... Have a video or montage that goes along with your show...

Or maybe some smoke machines and lasers... But even those would be unimpressive in a bright stadium even if you could see them...

Even in WGI the lights of a gym really diminished alot of the lighting effects. They weren't really "WOW!!" effects unless it was darker.

personally I would say NO if you cannot afford it up front.

Building a new business around an effect that might fail is stupid business.

It would need to start off as a fund raised test... if it works EXPAND your present business game to meet the needs of your budget. If cant get enough money, you simply cannot have new toys.

On the business of DRUM CORPS. It is a money sucker- not a money maker. It has to have a rich money making sister business to support its poor business structure.

How I deal with IT with corps? I would say NO.

How would I deal with it with a client. I would ask their budget and then I would tell them what they could afford. (the nice way of saying NO)

Or just add a couple of postage stamp games to your Thursday Night BINGO Game.

I can only name two or three corps who DO NOT have broken sustainable business model. Corps is a money trap.

We already established that you would say No many posts ago; and now we have established that in your opinion there is no way to realistically turn it into a Yes within DCI. So, most corps in DCI will inevitable implode in financial collapse as the demands of designers and "artistic consultants" are increasingly appeased by the corps directors who are unwilling to say stop this madness. Thank you for confirming what I already knew from the moment designers and "artistic consultants" began driving this bus.

We already established that you would say No many posts ago; and now we have established that in your opinion there is no way to realistically turn it into a Yes within DCI. So, most corps in DCI will inevitable implode in financial collapse as the demands of designers and "artistic consultants" are increasingly appeased by the corps directors who are unwilling to say stop this madness. Thank you for confirming what I already knew from the moment designers and "artistic consultants" began driving this bus.

I would say four corps could afford it but it would be a strain. Option 2 - put the burden on DCI and have collective equipment that tavels like rock shows and or venues.

If they want it - that is the best route.

Do you think football teams buy the scoreboards

I would say four corps could afford it but it would be a strain. Option 2 - put the burden on DCI and have collective equipment that tavels like rock shows and or venues.

If they want it - that is the best route.

Do you think football teams buy the scoreboards

Wow; no offense, but do you really know how a 501c6 or a 501c3 works?

Blast is a small for-profit entertainment group; WGI units are also small, so by their very nature costs differentials in adding design inovations are minimal compared to a DCI corps. Where will the money come from to do this at the DCI level?

this is also funny. Star paved the way for so many thing but who else has setup a For profit Like "BLAST"... which could actually sustain a non-profit like the corps.

there is only one that I am sure about but it lives under the non-profit side of the business.

STU... to answer your question... this is what I would do. A for profit theatrical touring unit.

Wow; no offense, but do you really know how a 501c6 or a 501c3 works?

yep... a for profit can feed both.

yep... a for profit can feed both.

Granted, Star of Indiana was a good model for that situation (for example: an aircraft fueling station channeling funds into the corps); but that was a very rare exception. For any corps to accomplish that it must first have a person or entity supply enough capital to fund a for-profit business owned by the non-profit (ie a Cook type). And even Cook maintained after the fact that it was a rather large business mistake on his part to fund Star in that manner within the context of the DCI non-profit world.