Lighting - the next frontier of "staging"

If "staging" is the new mantra & direction of drum corp show design, is lighting the next big thing? From "A conversation with Michael Cesario" http://www.mastersmarchingarts.com/2011/index.php/85-2012-summer/112-a-conversation-with-michael-cesario

TC: And the future?

MC: At DCI’s 60th anniversary, we could very well look back at 2012 and say, “What were they thinking? How could they do this without lighting?” You watch: that’s next.

I can't think of any drum corp show I've personally seen that incorporated any lighting effects. Has anyone? I've seen a high school band show at night where they had neon-glow stuff on their uniforms that looked really cool when they dimmed the stadium lights.

If "staging" is the new mantra & direction of drum corp show design, is lighting the next big thing? From "A conversation with Michael Cesario" http://www.mastersmarchingarts.com/2011/index.php/85-2012-summer/112-a-conversation-with-michael-cesario

I can't think of any drum corp show I've personally seen that incorporated any lighting effects. Has anyone? I've seen a high school band show at night where they had neon-glow stuff on their uniforms that looked really cool when they dimmed the stadium lights.

Rhythm X did it last winter, and it was pretty integral to their show (and worked well, IMO). I'm sure you can find videos on YouTube.

We actually tried it at Crown in 2011, too. We had some neon stage lights on the synth and drumset stages for about 2 days at move-ins before they got cut, I believe because the effect didn't really carry well to the box. I liked the idea though.

Lighting is not that effective in a bright stadium.

lighting has not been explored effectively with bright stadium lighting.

issue #2 this takes a person in the stands and effective lighting cannot be done field level.

It is possible even with bright stadium light to introduce color and highlight sections. but it would have to be from the stands. Even in daylight - you can flood color.

Edited by Kevin Powell

William Mason from Ohio used a projector to put snowflakes on the backdrop at Grand Nationals last year. It was very effective and well done.

William Mason from Ohio used a projector to put snowflakes on the backdrop at Grand Nationals last year. It was very effective and well done.

it is funny that BOA has become the innovator - introducing these "first"