Lighting - the next frontier of "staging"

That is THE effect to design around, otherwise it's something different.

the "effect" used to be exclusively horns and percussion.

But, like I said. DCI half way opened this can of worms that we will never be able to close.

Edited by Kevin Powell

the "effect" used to be horns and percussion.

But, like I said. DCI half way opened this can of worms that we will never be able to close.

I'll have to go reread what you've posted so far in context; I thought you were making a different point than I believe that you are now.

Ugh. I agree, DCI opened Pandoras box, and found another, more insidious box inside.

The Why not is that the action of permitting something in DCI makes it implicitly compulsory the next year.

Look at every rule change. They allowed it, and soon EVERY corps felt it was mandatory to do. No thanks! lookaround.gif

And their rationale is, "See, it was a good rule because everyone is doing it!"

How do we know that all those directors who passed the rule weren't all asking for it to begin with?

Isn't a rule change that everyone implements a good rule change?

And their rationale is, "See, it was a good rule because everyone is doing it!"

How do we know that all those directors who passed the rule weren't all asking for it to begin with?

Isn't a rule change that everyone implements a good rule change?

thumbup.gif Depends on the outcome...

NO!

AGAIN... I never stated that I want any of this but I can think of possibilties for the use. Same with amps and electronics.

I prefer simplicity of presentation over overthought use of new media. I like the sounds the way they were and I am not a fan of the electronics. I also see the reality behind making certain changes (rule books).

I step back to remember a Cadets guard presentation of one simple flag design for an entire show. I called it the postage stamp flag. It was simply brilliant. That same design was used in different colors and also presented how technically amazing that one guard was.

I can do this with MANY shows.

It is all about presentaion.

Remember... In a stark, empty, all white gallery, if presented alone, even an old shoe can look like a brilliant piece of art.

Edited by Kevin Powell

AGAIN... I never stated that I want any of this but I can think of possibilties for the use. Same with amps and electronics.

I prefer simplicity of presentation over overthought use of new media. I like the sounds the way they were and I am not a fan of the electronics. I also see the reality behind making certain changes (rule books).

I step back to remember a Cadets guard presentation of one simple flag design for an entire show. I called it the postage stamp flag. It was simply brilliant. That same design was used in different colors and also presented how technically amazing that one guard was.

Remember... In a stark, empty, all white gallery, if presented alone, even an old shoe can look like a brilliant piece of art.

Ok; let's say you are the director of, um, the Glassmen; you secure a design team who states that you "have" to have electronics, lighting, amplification, a separate truck to haul the stuff to ever place again in the top 12 at Finals on Saturday; (and the judging system more than indicates this is true); You tell the design team, your instructors, your performers, your fans, what ..........?

• Like 1

No, it's a green astroturf surface with a track around it.

Dark shoes don't show up well. Everyone wants to hide their feet apparently (spats, anyone?)

It's not art any more than ####-Christ was art. It's halftime.

Let's not confuse the two.

Ok; let's say you are the director of, um, the Glassmen; you secure a design team who states that you "have" to have electronics, lighting, amplification, a separate truck to haul the stuff to ever place again in the top 12 at Finals on Saturday; (and the judging system more than indicates this is true); You tell the design team, your instructors, your performers, your fans, what ..........?

Yuh-huh.

What he said.