Lighting - the next frontier of "staging"

Personally, as a creative director in my day job, I hire and fire creatives that can and cannot work under constrainst of all sorts. If they cannot keep it within budget... THAT is an even bigger issue.

These folks need a little dose of the real world.

• Like 2

How is that a COP OUT??? Who pays their budget now?

Herein is the most fallacious issue within drum corps; most "designers" do not know, and apparently do not even care, about the financial burdens; and unless you are copping out, you apparently have no clue whatsoever where the money will come from, how all of this design increase will be financially debilitating, and how it will cause the implosion of an activity which cannot sustain the costs.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

I think that is awesome, but there are so many things that are lost visually with it being that dark. Especially on video (where you really need good lighting for the camera work to be effective). There is no way to judge marching technique with that kind of lighting.

The other thing is that a show like that would be cost prohibitive to put on a field. It works in a smaller setting, but the props would have to be several times larger to be effect in a large stadium setting.

i was only saying for lights to be effective it has to be dark

here it is in a lighted stadium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRFM40ZI-D4&feature=related

Edited by MotorCityMusician

Personally, as a creative director in my day job, I hire and fire creatives that can and cannot work under constrainst of all sorts. If they cannot keep it within budget... THAT is an even bigger issue.

These folks need a little dose of the real world.

Ahhh, so you are a designer!!! But since you make the claim that you understand budgets, you have the knowledge to answer the question: Where will the corps procure the money?

Edited by Stu

William Mason HS band's effect was presented by an independent company, not by band staff. That company owns the equipment and must supply the staff to run it. The duplication of the effect would been beyond prohibitive for the corps' budget. (I'm not offering conjecture here, but let's leave it at that.)

Actually you put a solution out there and probably didnt realize it. Treat it like the lease/purchase/sell agreements they have going on with the horn companies.

To be honest, I saw many groups use lighting in WGI and I don't believe any use of them really added to the show. Even Rhythm X tried to essentially design their whole show around a "light" theme and it kind of failed. I think their show would have finished in the same place if they didn't have any lights in their show.

Actually you put a solution out there and probably didnt realize it. Treat it like the lease/purchase/sell agreements they have going on with the horn companies.

Then all the corps has to do is find another corps that would like to have the same effect at only its last three shows of the season...the only shows with massive black curtains across the back. :tongue:

• Like 2

Herein is the most fallacious issue within drum corps; most "designers" do not know, and apparently do not even care, about the financial burdens; and unless you are copping out, you apparently have no clue whatsoever where the money will come from, how all of this design increase will be financially debilitating, and how it will cause the implosion of an activity which cannot sustain the costs; ergo you must be a designer or a want-to-be designer!!!!!

That is an inbred issue of the Drum Corps activity. Designers have to work within budget. I will fire designers who work without budget consideration. I have many times.

But I work in the Design World of big business... not drum corps.

Then all the corps has to do is find another corps that would like to have the same effect at only its last three shows of the season...the only shows with massive black curtains across the back. :tongue:

I did not say it is a great solution... :smile: