Lighting - the next frontier of "staging"

Kevin: Answer the question: Who is going to pay for all the projectors, light racks, electronics, insurance, transportation system? I mean really; who is going to come up the millions in costs this entails? The money has to come from somewhere. So, you tell us; who pays the bill when the ferryman comes to collect and how is that money procured?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

Kevin: Answer the question: Who is going to pay for all the projectors, light racks, electronics, insurance, transportation system? I mean really; who is going to come up the millions in costs this entails? The money has to come from somewhere. So, you tell us; who pays the bill when the ferryman comes to collect and how is that money procured?

the corps. they want it. they figure out how to pay for it

• Like 1

William Mason from Ohio used a projector to put snowflakes on the backdrop at Grand Nationals last year. It was very effective and well done.

I fully expected to see this same effect at Indy with the Cadets. Did DCI have a rule against it? I know earlier in the season Hopkins made some comment about "making it snow in the dome." At that time I thought he had probably made a phone call to Mason.

Last year WGI brought the lighting rule which some groups succeeded and some did it just because they could. The problem i see is with a bright area it has less effect. This is the show in the dark and its ####### awesome. Inside you could barely tell from the top

Now increase the numbers of performers, lights, electronics, transportation, by 500% or 600% over this RhythmX show and you will discover the production cost issues which need to be paid for by a corps. You want to destroy DCI, then bring on this cost factor!!!

• Like 2

No worries, the jetpack section can set up a temporary lighting stage lickity split.

:smile:

Edited by Kevin Powell

DO NOT COP OUT!!!! I am asking you as if you are the corps director: How do "you" pay for it?

How is that a COP OUT??? Who pays their budget now?

Last year WGI brought the lighting rule which some groups succeeded and some did it just because they could. The problem i see is with a bright area it has less effect. This is the show in the dark and its ####### awesome. Inside you could barely tell from the top

I think that is awesome, but there are so many things that are lost visually with it being that dark. Especially on video (where you really need good lighting for the camera work to be effective). There is no way to judge marching technique with that kind of lighting.

The other thing is that a show like that would be cost prohibitive to put on a field. It works in a smaller setting, but the props would have to be several times larger to be effect in a large stadium setting.

Edited by jasgre2000

I fully expected to see this same effect at Indy with the Cadets. Did DCI have a rule against it? I know earlier in the season Hopkins made some comment about "making it snow in the dome." At that time I thought he had probably made a phone call to Mason.

William Mason HS band's effect was presented by an independent company, not by band staff. That company owns the equipment and must supply the staff to run it. The duplication of the effect would been beyond prohibitive for the corps' budget. (I'm not offering conjecture here, but let's leave it at that.)