The Teal Sound Debacle

I doubt that they had that many holes, they probably rewrote the drill to include them. But seriously, you're blaming the Glassmen and Colts? Just because a corps doesn't march 150 but only 135 doesn't mean they have 15 holes.

Actually, yes, bith corps did have that many holes. Just go back and watch the Fan Network. Both Colts and Glassmen had numerous holes early season. Not sure how they would have filled them had they not had Teal members come.

Later,

Mike

GREAT point: Those truly are heroic kids...to get body slammed by what happened originally and still find the heart to go out there are do what they could to entertain fans as best they could.

I ran into four Teal members heading to Cascades at the Philadelphia Airport the Friday after their tour ended. I was very impressed with how positive they remained. No complaining about what happened, didn't blame anyone. They just wanted to be on the field and were grateful to the corps that was giving them that chance. I ran into two of them outside the stadium in Indy during Finals week. They remembered me and said that they had a great summer and planned to march next year. Bravo to all the corps who took in these kids.

• Like 2

Actually, yes, bith corps did have that many holes. Just go back and watch the Fan Network. Both Colts and Glassmen had numerous holes early season. Not sure how they would have filled them had they not had Teal members come.

Later,

Mike

Guardguy89 is correct. Both corps had alot of openings. And, while we're at it, although I am thrilled that the Teal kids were able to march somewhere, can we PLEASE get off this idea of several corps "taking in" those kids. Folks, these corps had SUBSTANTIAL holes in their show in mid-July! For all the talk on DCP of all this altruistic, humanitarian behavior, the fact of the matter is that these corps had holes to fill....LOTS of them. I would have done the exact same thing, had I been director of any of them. And yeah, the bus contracts, food purchases, and staff payroll would NOT be affected by adding a dozen kids, since that is what these corps had budgeted for all along.

As for the top 7 corps not doing more, I will only point out that not only did Boston have no holes all summer, but they had five brass alternates(including 3 who stayed on right through finals).

At the end of the day, failed drum corps are caused by failed corps management..not the kids, staff, DCI, touring schedule, etc. And, to somehow want to blame the corps who are doing it right is disingeuous at best.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 6

If it would have been a financial burden to either the Glassmen or the Colts, they would not have taken on those members.

I think another good question is what were those corps doing with that many holes that late in the season?

It's the way it is these days. Used to, I didn't see many holes at all. Now, apparently, kids can't afford it as much, and as a result, holes are there all year.

It's the way it is these days. Used to, I didn't see many holes at all. Now, apparently, kids can't afford it as much, and as a result, holes are there all year.

people have plugged holes for years. It is not new and will happen as long as there is a set number limit/max of members.

It is the natural affect of working with this one rule.

not saying it is right or wrong. just saying that you set a rule - it creates different reactions depending on strength of recruitment.

Why is there no safety net or a plan from DCI for emegencies?

Should The top 7 corps have accepted more of the burden. DCI could have made and exception to the 150 members rule.

Who should pay? Should Teal have refunded the memberships fees to be applied to expenses incurred by Glassmen, Colts and others? Should other corps chip in who didn't accept stranded members?

The answer to your questions one at a time...

1. DCI did offer Teal Sound help.... it was refused.

2. Of course not. Those who offered the Teal fugees a place had holes to fill. Anything more than that would have meant substantial drill rewrites.

3. Teal ran out of money, there was nothing to refund.

• Like 1

Well the buses are already going to those places and if they have room fill it. The staffs already teaching 140 people not like you need more staff members for 10 people. They already have the uniforms made and Glassmen have the best seamstress around all summer to fit uniforms and/or sew flags. Pretty much the only additional cost would be the food which some said kids paid.

As naive and off target as most of this post is, it does raise one good point, albeit unientionally.

Why was Teal Sound a World Class corps in the first place?

After passing the review by the slimmest of margins they were granted access to the WC tour and proceeded to spend the entire Summer on the road in 2010 - digging the corps into a deep financial bind. Trying to obtain all the trappings of a succesful WC corps ( big name staff, emphasis on electronics) just made things worse.

Wasn't it just over a year go the corps incurred a serious economic setback when someone swiped their milk money?

No, DCI has no obligation to keep a corps out on the road - but they do have one to prevent them from even trying to participate at a level they are ill prepared to be at.

After Teal Sound withdrew from tour after the second week of the season. The Colts and the Glassmen and others took on about 40 or so former Tealites for the next 6 weeks. What do you think that cost those corps? Lets look at the GLassmen who took on 10 people. Consider the cost of transporting, feeding housing, instruction and providing uniforms and equipment. A rough calculation of food would go something like this(10 members x 4 meals/day x 42 days x $3/meal or about $5,040 in food). Can't imagine the cost of fuel and the bus charter to transport 10 people another 15,000 miles over 42 days. What about providing uniforms, fittings and instruments? What about the cost of additional instructional staff or the impact of having the same staff with 10 extra people. The point is there is a real cost as a result of the demise of Teal in mid season not only to the membership themselves but to the organizations which generously took them on in a moments notice.

Why is there no safety net or a plan from DCI for emegencies?

Should The top 7 corps have accepted more of the burden. DCI could have made and exception to the 150 members rule.

Who should pay? Should Teal have refunded the memberships fees to be applied to expenses incurred by Glassmen, Colts and others? Should other corps chip in who didn't accept stranded members?

If this financial burden takes down the Glassmen or Colts then what is the true cost to drum corps?

• Like 1

I ran into four Teal members heading to Cascades at the Philadelphia Airport the Friday after their tour ended. I was very impressed with how positive they remained. No complaining about what happened, didn't blame anyone. They just wanted to be on the field and were grateful to the corps that was giving them that chance. I ran into two of them outside the stadium in Indy during Finals week. They remembered me and said that they had a great summer and planned to march next year. Bravo to all the corps who took in these kids.

:thumbup:

• Like 2

This whole thread is yet another desperate reach to try to drag the top corps through the mud. Frankly, its one of the more ridiculous ones ive seen.

What happened to Teal was awful. I truly feel for those who were not able to get spots if any. I am truly glad many did find spots! In fact, I understand for some this ended up being an "upgrade" and some of those members got to perform in finals which would not have happened with Teal.

When this type of incident happens, my opinion is that no corps is "responsible" or "obligated" to pick those members up.

For some corps who are full and have their act together WAY before June, I do not believe they should compromise their efforts up to that point if they have no need for new members.

On the other hand, there are always PLENTY of corps who NEED capable members to step in and fill spots due to injuries etc. Its great when it can happen, but again, i dont believe anyone

should be forced or obligated.

In any case, it seems that a negative turned into a positive for many former teal members and the corps they ended up joining up with.

• Like 6