Dancing/Non-marching movement

I'm kinda "meh" about dancing when it takes the brass out of play. I'd much rather see them "blowing the stands down" while running a crazy a** drill. Doing some vizh stuff while playing is fine, but don't ever put the horns down.

And regarding the other comment: With all due respect to the front ensemble (gonna get some hate here) - I truly feel that they are there to COMPLIMENT the sounds coming from the field not to replace what the brass and battery should be doing. After all, it IS drum and bugle corps, not drum and marimba corps.

last time I looked drum and Bugle ( which bugles havent been used for a while ) was all inclusive of all sections'

^ Yes, but I would hope the point I was making was understood despite the fact the bugles are no longer used. Horns and battery should be the focus not marimbas and the rest of the front ensemble. They should compliment the main course - an enhancement if you will, best used sparingly (like dancing). Sorry, just my feeling.

Edited by CLD
  • Like 1

I think when you talk of this you have to say... Who made it main stream? A few corps danced/had body movement in the 80s but I think Star '93 took it to another level. BK I think took that and ran with it between 99-08. To me, BK is the one that took body movement to another level. Each member in the corps was held responsible to move and dance like a guard member. There are many corps that are now doing this though to mr Star and then BK were the mist responsible parties for upping the dance movement in drum corps!

Agreed. Body movement and dance have been a big part of BKs visual identity. I cant say im a huge fan of their 2012 show, but i can say ive always enjoyed the way they incorporate body movement into their shows and think they do it tastefully. Some moments in 03 come to mind..

^ Yes, but I would hope the point I was making was understood despite the fact the bugles are no longer used. Horns and battery should be the focus not marimbas and the rest of the front ensemble. They should compliment the main course - an enhancement if you will, best used sparingly (like dancing). Sorry, just my feeling.

The pit is an equal part of the percussion section with the battery; it has been so for close to 30 years. How could one use it 'sparingly' and still garner a decent score...and give the members a great experience? You might as well say that the mellophones should be used sparingly, or the second trumpets. They are all part of the ensemble that create the music you are hearing.

Marching is just a very restricted form of dance.

dance
/dans/

Verb: Move rhythmically to music, typically following a set sequence of steps:

Noun: A series of movements that match the speed and rhythm of a piece of music.

It sure fits the definition !

There's a huge world of movement outside the regimented style of dance we call marching. People have been studying movement (dance) for centuries. Why not tap in to that knowledge base?

Choreography is choreography. I'm glad some corps are exploring movement outside the tiny pigeon-hole it's been stuck in. I find using other dance styles more interesting than just having a few awkward "body moves" in the program. Limiting movement to *only* marching makes as much sense as limiting music to *only* Sousa marches.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

The Bridgemen started recruiting dancers for their guard in the late 70s, and were incorporating some dance moves into the show even then. Spirit's magnificent guards of the mid-late 80s also had a lot of dance going on.

The Bridgemen started recruiting dancers for their guard in the late 70s, and were incorporating some dance moves into the show even then. Spirit's magnificent guards of the mid-late 80s also had a lot of dance going on.

Funny fact on Spirit's Guard from that time - Scott Chandler's (BD) guard winning in 85. Also, Sal Salas (Glassmen now I think) who has also been around the Drum corps world and back.