Talent vs. Experience

I'm a rather curious drum corps geek and I would like to know the Drum Corps community's opinion on this.

If a set of staff had to pick a member for a spot in a group like Bluecoats or Carolina Crown (just basic examples), would the staff likely pick the perspective member with Talent (say he's a rookie)? or the perspective member with Experience? (we'll just throw out a number and say they have 2 years marching experience).

Edited by TimbreDeBrass

I'm a rather curious drum corps geek and I would like to know the Drum Corps community's opinion on this.

If a set of staff had to pick a member for a spot in a group like Bluecoats or Carolina Crown (just basic examples), would the staff likely pick the perspective member with Talent (say he's a rookie)? or the perspective member with Experience? (we'll just throw out a number and say they have 2 years marching experience).

I think (based on my friendships with Championship corps staffers) talent trumps all. If it's a different between a drum corps vet or a rookie and talent level is similar, the vet will almost always get a nod (caveat: sometimes some corps' staffers will take the rookie if the vet is from a specific corps that the staffer believes work re-programming the member will not be worth the trouble).

Experience, if they come in with the right attitude. I've seen corps pick up kids who were amazingly talented, but spent the whole summer with a bad attitude, and dragged down the whole line around them. Then I've seen kids who aren't the best players or marchers, but have experience in DCI, know what they're getting back into, and give it their all. They are usually the ones who succeed over the virtuoso who complains all of the time.

So, it's mostly an attitude thing. If you're willing to work and give it your all, and take directions, then most staffs won't care if you're a 10-year vet or completely new in 90% of cases.

• Like 5

' Not an easy question to answer as we don't know the level of talent, nor the experience level. If the talent level is large enough, its a no brainer.. the staff takes the super talented performer, provided of course the talented performer is coming to the position with a rep as a hard worker and great attitude. But we rarely come down to an " either/ or " scenario. Staff usually will find room for both in their line.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Then I think we're saying attitude/work ethic trumps all.

Correct?

Correct?

Pretty much. I can't think of any staff out there that would take a talented kid who spends the whole audition camp moaning and complaining over a less-talented kid with the heart and drive to always get better and learn. Especially if that kid comes in with experience. I've even marched with kids who after 4 or 5 years of drum corps, weren't the strongest players or marchers, but every year, came into camp and learned everything the staff told them, and always took direction and changes faster than anyone else. They were always loved by the staff.

• Like 1

Corps like that prefer both talent and experience. Experience so they know the kids will actually last through spring training and talent -- well -- pretty obvious why they need that...

Edited by corpsband

Correct?

Almost. As FSUbone said, it's usually that way, but I have marched with people that have been cut even though they were trying their best.

I'll bet a lot of corps would love to be able to even make the decision... probably only the top 4 or 5 corps can do that.

• Like 1

OP, I think it's a false dichotomy. Realistically, it's more likely that the person with experience....also has talent.

But I agree with some of the above posters....attitude/work ethic trump both. The corps has to live and work together for months....no talent is worth the poison of a bad attitude.

I can't think of any staff out there that would take a talented kid who spends the whole audition camp moaning and complaining over a less-talented kid with the heart and drive to always get better and learn. Especially if that kid comes in with experience.

This happens everywhere but usually in private and not to staff... and not during auditions.

Edited by Barifonium