Field Judges

did I say program to the end zone?

No, but how many shows don't have crowds out to the 30's?

No, I think you misunderstood my post. I was saying that if you think it is unfair to program to the box because only some fans are in the middle, how is it better to program to the field, where there are no fans whatsoever.

You need field judges!!

There should be two percussion judges. One for pit and one for d-line. The OP is correct in saying that the perc judge doesn't get an accurate picture. I listen to perc tapes for my band and always get disgusted when the judge misses a pit feature for some menial dline lick or vice versa.

The field judges need to ##### individuals. As many have said, what is seen from the box isn't always the same as on the field. Judges can pinpoint what sections are not contributing or overplaying. This then gives the staff valuable insight in what to focus on in rehearsals.

The idea of a judge on the field is also important for the performers. Knowing that there is an individual near you at any point in the show will help the performers to "step up" and impress the judges even more. It's a weird mentality but it just works. If the performer is told that there are only judges in the box then subconsciously they may not execute to the highest degree possible. They might think that they can hide within the group. Field judges help to expose your greatest weaknesses.

I'm not too concerned about the professional look of a judge. I really don't notice them most of the time.

You need field judges!!

Knowing that there is an individual near you at any point in the show will help the performers to "step up" and impress the judges even more. It's a weird mentality but it just works. If the performer is told that there are only judges in the box then subconsciously they may not execute to the highest degree possible. They might think that they can hide within the group.

This has never been a motivation for any marching member. I did my best for myself, for my corps and for the audience. To think that marching members will slack off in shows because there isn't a judge in their face seems totally off. No corps teaches this mentality.

No, I think you misunderstood my post. I was saying that if you think it is unfair to program to the box because only some fans are in the middle, how is it better to program to the field, where there are no fans whatsoever.

if you aren't clean on the field, it will translate upstairs. if you have people telling you things they see and hear on the field, it can then help you upstairs as well.

Field judges seem to me they are no longer needed and their ability to judge accurately is severly limited and based on chance (as in where they are standing on the field.

The percussion judge misses close to 75% of front ensemble playing and gets rushed unfocused reeads of batteries as they fly and zoom around the field. They get in the way half the time and I always hear how " they are out of position" to accurately read certain passages.

The brass judges samples are of individual or groups of players but isn't the brass line greater than the sum of its parts?

And the field visual performance is asked to judge all members of the corps? From individual technique of brass members to colorguard? The breadth is to wide and his field of sample is too limited!

If we are no longer on the tick system why do we need field judges getting in performers faces, risking their safety, and creating a bit of an eye sore on the field.

We should judge shows completely from an audiences perspective. After all these shows are getting higher and higher in production value and I don't think we need a green shirt chasing after members. If you think about it, it does disturb the professionalism of these performances.

We may be loosing some details but if an audience member can't appreciate the nuances why is it in the show?. It may force designers to change their staging or bring more focus to the details that only a field judge could see or notice.

I think one of the worst judging changes was getting rid of the percussion 2 judge. It was so valuable that we evaluate drum corps percussion ensembles as a whole.

Thoughts?

You mean to say there are issues with DCI judging? THAT'S a new concept. :rolleyes:

you absolutely need field judges. Especially in stadiums with a roof, certain things will never be seen or heard upstairs. Even in outdoor venues, you can't get everything upstairs.

Exactly, you can't judge execution from the stands, and execution is clearly what wins DCI.

I think the OP makes some good points, I'm not positive how to implement them but they have sound logic.

I will throw one additional item out there. Get rid of the tapes. There is no way a judge can take in what is going on while running a verbal commentary. It's humanly impossible to spend 15 seconds commenting on something and continue to adjudicate. The usefulness of the tape is far over rated.

I've often watched other judged events (some with arts components) and marveled at how different the drum corps approach to judging is. Skating doesn't seem to have the need for a judge on the ice or doing a tape. But they do have compulsories - now there's an idea.

Gymnastics doesn't have a judge standing under the uneven bars making sure the toes are pointed and legs together- the judge has to see that from their vantage point.

Wind ensemble competitions don't have judges among the sections, they sit about where the audience would.

In all honesty I think its a hold over from the uniform inspection- the belief that each individual must be judged.

These judges have the luxury of evaluating only one or two people during a performance. It's an absurd comparison. Lets see a skating judge accurately evaluate 150 skaters all performing at the same time.

These judges have the luxury of evaluating only one or two people during a performance. It's an absurd comparison. Lets see a skating judge accurately evaluate 150 skaters all performing at the same time.

I want to see this. This is a request to the Corps of Canada. Please field an ice skating corps...

• Like 1

if you aren't clean on the field, it will translate upstairs. if you have people telling you things they see and hear on the field, it can then help you upstairs as well.

Jeff, should I try and explain some things a bit as well? What scares me is if anyone can seriously discuss this subject on DCP from personal experience, it might be me.... :blink: